When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 228238 yellow gold noob rep modification?

jorrie

Bought a rep noob in the end.

Its a really good rep but some small issues.   good as is but fixing the below flaws would make it near perfect.

* the links are the old style end links is there a way to modify them to replicate the new style 40mm ?

* the datewheel is not in the right font

* the fonts i think are a tiny little bit thinner guess this is non fixable.

* the crown is not 1-1 no deal breaker its a little bit thicker

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, alterego said:

I'm not an expert but I 'm sorry I have to say the watch you bought is not the kind of rep you want to modify. If this is your first, keep it the way it is as reference for future purchases.

cheers !

May  i ask why not?

Its not the best but a franken daydate (2) would have become to expensive and this one looked mostly ok except a few issues.

Check out a gen and compare it that- I think the correct model number is 218238

http://www.chrono24.com/en/rolex/41mm-day-date-ll-18k-yellow-gold-white-arabic-dial-218238--id4059058.htm

The font on your DW is off- serifs are too pronounced- replacing with a TC DW would be a good start.

I don't think the bracelet is too bad, and it's hard to find rep replacement bracelets. You could get a 6mm crown and replace it- hopefully it would fit on the case tube.

https://m.rolex.com/watches/day-date/m228238-0006.html

except the datewheel and the bracelet hands where they hook into the case its a very good rep imo. Its stupid they did not remade the new bracelet hands.

Like in my picture you see basically the first row of parts is wide enough. Nobody tried this yet I assume.

I have small wrists so nummerous parts removed adding them back in perhaps gives enough room to try this.

would a daydate 2 41mm datewheel fit inside this watch? Another option is a template with the correct font I could reprint the datewheel on plastic

Just interesting to discuss the new vs old bracelet and if it would be possible to modify

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Unless You´re doing all modifications Yourself, imho it gets cost-prohibitive fast. The money is better invested in a 36mm franken while this one is fine to use and have fun as is. Gen-parts for the 36mm are also easier/cheaper to get and easy to resale. 

Bracelet: use as is and invest funds in a fine, brown leather croc strap to use on this and other watches. 

Edited by Nightwatch

There seem to be no replicationa of this bew bracelet. Probably its not worth it for them and they sell the old bracelet on it instead.

Im not sure how the bracelet connector to the case part is called. Assuming one could get 2 gen and they woukd fit it probably has different color and will be expensive. Then there is the existing material; cutting and sanding the part will destroy its yellow gold cover. So i guess this dream wil go over.

Already own a very nice datejust 36 so wanted something bigger. The 36s are relatively payable also in parts.

if someone had a suggestion if somehow my idea can be made reality or if someone knows where to buy rolex 228238 rep yellow gold bracelet which is 1-1 then please let me know

There seem to be no replicationa of this bew bracelet. Probably its not worth it for them and they sell the old bracelet on it instead.

Im not sure how the bracelet connector to the case part is called. Assuming one could get 2 gen and they woukd fit it probably has different color and will be expensive. Then there is the existing material; cutting and sanding the part will destroy its yellow gold cover. So i guess this dream wil go over.

Already own a very nice datejust 36 so wanted something bigger. The 36s are relatively payable also in parts.

if someone had a suggestion if somehow my idea can be made reality or if someone knows where to buy rolex 228238 rep yellow gold bracelet which is 1-1 then please let me know

You might want to take this over to the Rolex forum and see what they think over there. I do know that mymanmatt builds some really good DayDate reps, but I believe all of his are the 36mm version.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wonder if one could add a 36 mm date just dail inside this case.

So just purely experimental and not in correct dimensions at all ( one would need an original to measure it up exactly ) i made a drawing in rhino 3D. 
This case is not that difficult in terms of strange corners it basically a very basic design with some filet edges trimmed of the case.

Just experimental, not correct dimensions.
I think its do-able with some hours to replicate the casing.. 
If someone could exactly measure one up with a digital measurement tool.
Then one would "only" need to CNC it. Im not sure how much that would cost.

Of course the inside should be exact, or perhaps modified to fit an day date 36 mm GEN dail. 
Then only the bracelet would be a problem, but could be replicated in the same way with the difficulty it needs the hands and bracelet parts also. 
Which adds more time. Probably this could be done in a day and printed in cheap plastic with 0.1mm error tolerance on shape ways for a few bucks.
A plastic prototype so to speak.
Moving it to CNC parts could be an issue also you want the stainless steel to have the correct brush which would take try and error.
Since its mostly basic shaped with some edge filets holes it *should* be do-able. 
Again one could add a 36mm day date crown GEN or rep.

Any thoughts on this?

Screen Shot 2016-08-15 at 01.20.09.png

Edited by jorrie

Ok an attempt and thoughts ( on the bracelet )

• Using day date 36 mm dail gen dail
  • Crown using 36 mm day date gen or rep
  • Sapphire using Clark's 36 mm ( I think it almost identical?)
  • Using a 2283-2 or similar movement that fits for day date 36mm also
  • Bracelet is fairly simple in terms of filleting, its basic shaped smaller each part 

Again just a quick draft to see how much work this is, made the bracelet in about 30 minutes ( and my rhino 3d skills are a bit rusty )

Screen Shot 2016-08-15 at 02.00.39.png

AH STUPID 

I posted above 2 images in the wrong post :|| night here..

Could any of the mods move them over to the oyster topic  I made please?

Edited by jorrie

Not to rain on anyone's parade, the dial has script failure for sure!

further the bezel is configured all wrong, compare the thickness ( inner / outer dimension) to the gen & you'll see vast differences... Rarely have I seen a President that really stacks up...

regards, mcotter