When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

alterego

Hi folks. I've been sort of partime contributor to the forum for sometime and I have not purchased many watches in the last couple of years. I was browsing the trusted dealer section, looking for a Daytona and a Yatchmaster and I was shocked by the asking price for these two watches. Our trusted dealers want  from $ 360 up to 400 plus  dollars for one of them. It looks that affordable options for replica watches is a thing of the past. Or is it just a sellers market situation, fueled by our adiction ?

Go buy a gen! Reps today are coming amazingly close to gen look and feel. $360 for a $20k plus Daytona? Shitty deal?

We are demanding more from our TDs. I'll spend $400 for an awesome rep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

affordability is relative and is a matter of perspective. You can either compare the price of the rep vs the gen one, or you could look at the rep price and think of the opportunity cost.

Message crafted while smacking a wayward chicken with a salmon.

I think the prices are still reasonable. Just compare what you would get from microbrand for that money. If I think of real carbon and ceramic cases and such things....  

theyre still great value and probably built as well as multi thousand $$ tag heuers in all honesty.

i paid $350 for a black bay rep and i think it was worth every cent

better materials, feel and assembly as any other watch for the same $350 price. compare it to a used longines or hamilton for that price.

once non franken reps hit $1k im out though.

Well, all things considered,  I guess you guys mus be be right. Now the thing is figuring out where to buy the rep. My sights are set on aan old school Zenith Daytona. I have read the Asian 7750 has problems, so I'd rather go for an older (used) pre super rep version of this classic. I'd love to hear from someone who can give me some advise on where to look for one.

Thank you for your candid opinions about my perspectives.

Best

China is growing at 7% p.a. So are wages, living cost, worker demands and product prices. A lot of "cheap" non-watch items from 3-4 years ago are now "reasonably" priced. The visual quality is also getting better, so are some of the materials applied. One wonders where this will lead to (thinking global watch-industry) some 10-15 years ahead. The Swiss watch-industry also became profecient in what they were doing and build up their infrastructure/knowledge/skills - by starting with low-quality replicas of English and French watches, some 200 years ago. In 1850 they were already producing over 2 million units (England: 200.000 at that time).

Prices allow the TDs to développ, invest in better machines, technics..
See the way it was 4 years ago... and now the V7 Noob..

400$ is extremely fair regarding the parts and material involved.

Maybe we should ask the same about the gen prices .. 8000$ for a brand new Sub at an AD ... whereas the same kind of watch involving the quite same material and technicals specs was sold half that price not decades ago..
Maybe those are the gen firms who over price their pieces, and I don't even talk about the price tag of parts .. come on 2000$ for a stainless steel Rolex band.. THATS a crazy amount of money .. when you see a TC V3 strap sold 30$ back in the time...

It's because some guys are willing to pay 20k for a Daytona without even know how to spell it properly but hey, it's a flashy Rollie so ..

• Like 2