When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Advice on removing hands & date wheel on A2836

richard591

Would appreciate either comments or direction to a tutorial (if there is one) on the following.

1. Removing hands on DSSD/Sub on A2836 (from a previous post). What's the accepted wisdom - puller or lever off? From my days of collecting & rebuilding antique clocks/movements, I always favoured gently lever off. Pulling can often dislodge things.

2. The spare movement for my 3 rep watches is due to turn up any day and when it does I will be dismantling one to familiarise myself with the issues and general layout. As can be seen from the QA photo sent to me the date wheel is a complete disk. How does this disengage? I assume (but don't know) that it's held underneath on a spring loaded latch and the wheel has to be lifted slightly then pulled to one side to disengage. Is that correct? If so, is replacement a simple reverse process, or does something have to be un-screwed? I have seen a tutorial on this on You Tube, but it was on an ETA 2836 with a date ring, not complete disk. However, I assume the A2836, as a copy, is much the same.

3. Part of the reason for wanting to have a look is to check if the date wheel needs an overlay. The spare movement has come direct from NF and they say the date wheel is the exact one fitted in the watches, specifically the V6s DSSD for one. However, language issues have already meant that the "assembled" movement is coming as a kit of parts for assembly. Therefore I need to check everything else, just in case. That's not a problem, because if the supplied date wheel needs an overlay, that will already be on one of the existing movements and can be switched over.

Once again, thanks for all the previous advice.

IMG_7604.JPG

1. I always prefer hand levers but the presto type removers are also good. Not the cheapo eBay ones however. I Always use a dial protector when removing hands also. 

2. Removing first the day wheel. It's held on by a circlip, I use a .60 screwdriver to slide the circlip out. Be careful you don't loose it as it has a habit of pinging off. The date wheel removal is simple. Grab it at about 5 o clock and pull towards you then lift. Very simple. 

3. Refitting is a bit more complex. You need to remove the cover to the keyless works. This is held in place by one screw. You the slide it to the right. Insert the date disk so that it engages the spring on the left hand side (9 o clock) Then refit the keyless plate in the reverse order of how you took it out. 

The day wheel can now be refitted. Just make sure the spring at 6 o clock of the daywheel is engaged with the grooves of the daywheel. The refit the circlip. Hopefully it doesn't ping off never to be seen again.

Hope this makes sense. It did in my head but I'm not the greatest at putting actions into words. 

Edited by bill33
spelling

I have always used the advice I found on this tutorial, even though this guy does not recommend it if you are not familiar with working with watches.

Before I discovered this video I always stuffed up especially when I had to remove and reposition the date wheel.  Good luck!!!!!

Thanks for that.

ssteel, I think you're right. I must confess that when I looked at the photo of the supplied wheel it didn't look to me like it would naturally line up with the DSSD date window.

The entire movement with a set of latest super lume hands and D-Blue dial, as fitted to the V6s version, has cost $130.

However, still a bit confused about re-installation. As you can see from the photo of my movement, the wheel is a complete disk which covers all the workings underneath. Not a Ring as shown on Timelord's photo. I too have looked at that tutorial, but since it's different I had to seek further advice.

So, If bill33 is correct and the full disk comes off by removing a circlip on the central pinion boss, then I assume you just dump that wheel and put the one from the watch (either different or with a DWO) on instead. However, if that's a full disk also, just with a DWO glued on, how do you get to the bits underneath? Or does it just re-attach with the old circlip - which seems the only way to me in those circumstances.

The circlip will only remove the Day wheel. If you only have a date function on your watch then this isn't needed you can throw these bits. 

The date wheel removal is explained in my above post. As stated by Ssteel though the movement you have bought isn't Rolex font, so you can either glue on a new DWO onto the date disk or replace the date disk with one that already has the correct DWO installed. IMO it's easy to switch the disk with one where the DWO has already been installed/lined up. 

In regards to the above post, I tend to remove all day/date mechanisms from watches with no day/date feature. But you can leave it all on plenty of people do. You'll just hear the click when the crown is in the date change position or at 12pm when it clicks over. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Timelord said:

I have always used the advice I found on this tutorial, even though this guy does not recommend it if you are not familiar with working with watches.

Before I discovered this video I always stuffed up especially when I had to remove and reposition the date wheel.  Good luck!!!!!

Thats my video ;)

$130 for the new movement DSSD blue dial and hands shipped is actually a very good price.

23 minutes ago, bill33 said:

replace the date disk with one that already has the correct DWO installed. IMO it's easy to switch the disk with one where the DWO has already been installed/

Don't want to hijack this thread.  Are these date wheels available with the DWO already installed???  How would you replace it on the mvt with this set up as there is no room for you to screw under the keyless bridge cover????

Once again, thanks for the advice guys. As you say, it's probably, or obviously, easier to just swap the existing dial onto the new movement if required. Didn't realise that the date section on the disk was detachable separately, so have learnt something again.

Now I look closer at the photo I can actually see the join.

Don't want to hijack this thread.  Are these date wheels available with the DWO already installed???  How would you replace it on the mvt with this set up as there is no room for you to screw under the keyless bridge cover????

There is room at the keyless bridge level. There is less room at date disk jumper spring but still it ia feasible.

11 hours ago, SSTEEL said:

Thats my video

Great video!! Keep them coming!!!!  If you had also shown that same one with the DWO, it would be a jackpot!,,

the world keeps getting smaller,  you don't happen to live next door???:)

6 hours ago, Timelord said:

Great video!! Keep them coming!!!!  If you had also shown that same one with the DWO, it would be a jackpot!,,

the world keeps getting smaller,  you don't happen to live next door???:)

The idiot banned me next door, RWG.bz, and RWI.

5 hours ago, SSTEEL said:

The idiot banned me next door, RWG.bz, and RWI.

Who me?:;-)? 

Don't worry, you have come to the right place.  Everyone here is nice!!!!!:)

As the saying goes;

"love thy neighbor and love thy enemy" because they are the same kind of people!!!!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GenTLe said:

There is room at the keyless bridge level. There is less room at date disk jumper spring but still it ia feasible.

Thanks for that!!

Yes, I meant - the date disk jumper spring!

I understand that the video explains a great method for your factory normal date wheel, but, I could not see how I could do the same with a date wheel which has the DWO already glued onto the datewheel as it would be quite a gamble to access the disk jumper spring with the DWO already on.:g:

BTW, I have never seen a datewheel for sale with the DWO. already on it

On 9/1/2016 at 9:41 PM, bill33 said:

The circlip will only remove the Day wheel. If you only have a date function on your watch then this isn't needed you can throw these bits. 

The date wheel removal is explained in my above post. As stated by Ssteel though the movement you have bought isn't Rolex font, so you can either glue on a new DWO onto the date disk or replace the date disk with one that already has the correct DWO installed. IMO it's easy to switch the disk with one where the DWO has already been installed/lined up. 

In regards to the above post, I tend to remove all day/date mechanisms from watches with no day/date feature. But you can leave it all on plenty of people do. You'll just hear the click when the crown is in the date change position or at 12pm when it clicks over. 

Thank you.

On 1 September 2016 at 3:05 PM, horologist said:

Sorry for the confusion mate, meant to say minute train bridge not keyless.  The keyless doesn't need touching when fitting date wheel. As for the DWO sold already installed I've never seen one. The OP said he already had a datewheel with overlay installed from an old movement.

• 8 months later...