When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

42mm PO parts help

gt_lad

After a bit of searching I think I've grasped things, just wanted some reassurance!

It seems the well known crown issue has raised it's head... when screwing the crown in, it continues to wind the movement. Rather than returning to Josh (who was very helpful), I followed some good advice from Kernow/Mickey and took it to a local watchsmith to save time and postage etc. He's diagnosed the crown as needing replacement (not stem?) so I thought I may as well go genuine with the bits I need...  I just want to make sure I order the right parts.  The watch was a gift and bought when on special from Josh a few months ago, I think this is then one...

http://www.pf-818.com/0omse00052-planet-ocean-ssle-swiss2824-p-9546.html

And these are the parts I intend ordering...

https://m.cousinsuk.com/sku/watch-parts/omega-waterproof-crowns/omega-waterproof-crowns-06mm-over/42184ST?_=1473281247932

https://m.cousinsuk.com/sku/watch-parts/omega-case-parts/0/X12870?_=1473285036121

Am I right in thinking they'll fit? Also, given I'm not completely sure of the version I have any guidance would be a huge help.

Thanks

Mark

Edited by gt_lad
Miss spell

Yep, I bet dollars to donuts you need to extend the stem a smidgen.

An old trick is to unscrew the crown from the stem and load some powdered graphite into the hole then screw the stem back in. That essentially makes it "longer". See if that helps. If it does then carefully measure the assembled length and cut a new stem so its assembled length is the same.

Third of not fourth person to say the stem, I'm a bit concerned the watch smith may not be up to the job now :huh:

I might order the crown and tube and have it done anyway and if it doesn't sort the problem take it up with them again. 

Really trying to avoid the return to Josh as the rest of the watch is spot on and I don't want to be without it for weeks!

• 2 weeks later...
So the crown and tube arrived today, along with the stainless bracelet I ordered from Josh. It has a couple of very tight links, any tips on how to free them?

Try an oil bath. Soak in WD40 or similar overnight, flex the links back and forth until they are freed up. Clean the bracelet throughly in soapy water to remove any oil residue (not great for your skin). Then dip bracelet in baby oil and wipe clean.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Help please... The tube doesn't fit! It's too small in diameter to fit the main body of the watch. Any suggestions on a new tube that would fit yet still accept the crown I have? Desperate to start wearing it now, had it for months and only worn it twice... Aarrgghh!

Edited by gt_lad

13 hours ago, gt_lad said:
Help please... The tube doesn't fit! It's too small in diameter to fit the main body of the watch.

Photos would help. How much difference are we talking about? If it's the V5 PO 42mm case, the parts should fit.

Here's a link you might find useful:

6 hours ago, jackflash said:

Photos would help. How much difference are we talking about? If it's the V5 PO 42mm case, the parts should fit.

Yeah I found that write up before ordering the parts. It's a shame we never found out how he got on fitting them, it ends saying he's waiting on the arrival of the gen items. 

I would add photos but the mod is being done by a watch smith. I'm totally lost on what to do next :-(

7 hours ago, jackflash said:

24 minutes ago, jackflash said:

Well, if tube is slightly too small for the case, you might need to epoxy the tube in place with Marine Weld. Here's a link to the job being done next door on a 45mm PO:

https://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/92079-45-5mm-Planet-Ocean-Gen-Crown-amp-Tube-Installation

I'm not a member of any other forums so thank you for the link. Mine is threaded like the earlier link. I have only spoken to the watch smith on the phone so far. I'll pay them a visit tomorrow amd have a look to see how much smaller the tube is and take it from there. Thanks again, I'll report on my findings!

10 hours ago, kernow said:

Micky sorted mine out when the tube was too small for the case - he epoxyed it in place. Maybe worth a PM to him? 

That was after I flared the tube a little with my staking set ;)

Popped in to the watch smith's today and got to have a good look at things. Nice to see the watch disassembled having never done it myself!

The original tube dimensions are quite different to the gen parts I ordered. After looking harder it turns out the case number on the inside of my watch backing (168.1653), differs to the case number that the Cousins site suggests the tube I ordered, will fit (168.1623). This would completely explain the problem if these case numbers are a true reflection to the the gen(?), and their onwarad ability to accept the relevant gen parts. If so, the Cousins site seems to suggest I need tube part no 090ST1242... and they can't supply it. Even if I manage to find I wonder if it will accept the gen crown I have?

Sorry for the onslaught of questions! I'm hoping someone may have come across this before and help pin point the type of rep I have and an outcome, before I go down the route of using some sort of agent to bond the tube in place.

IMG_20161013_152057.jpg

IMG_20161013_145854.jpg

Edited by gt_lad

Part no.: 090ST1242 is the tube for the He Valve not the crown

Part no.: 090ST1232 is the tube for the crown for both cases 168.1653 (PO 42mm 2500) and 168.1623 (SM PRO 300M), plus many other cases too.

You need to go the JB Marine Weld route or ask your watchmaker to create a bush between case and tube.

Thinking back, I used JB Marine Weld and haven't had any issues.

94af64846795b157c7e350dfccb3f775.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/10/2016 at 8:49 AM, jackflash said:

Part no.: 090ST1242 is the tube for the He Valve not the crown

Part no.: 090ST1232 is the tube for the crown for both cases 168.1653 (PO 42mm 2500) and 168.1623 (SM PRO 300M), plus many other cases too.

You need to go the JB Marine Weld route or ask your watchmaker to create a bush between case and tube.

Thinking back, I used JB Marine Weld and haven't had any issues.

94af64846795b157c7e350dfccb3f775.jpg

Managed to miss this somehow? Apologies.

JB Weld it is. My watchman is nervous about fitting it straight, I think fitting the crown to the tube first, will make it easier... as long as it doesn't end up getting stuck together?! I'm concerned about overspill entering the tube.

I find where a tube is too small for the case hole, I use my staking set to flare the tube end that goes into the case hole, and bond it in with JB or other known industrial strength adhesive, this give a much stronger hold in my experience.

Managed to miss this somehow? Apologies.
JB Weld it is. My watchman is nervous about fitting it straight, I think fitting the crown to the tube first, will make it easier... as long as it doesn't end up getting stuck together?! I'm concerned about overspill entering the tube.

I'm pretty sure you"ll find the llip on your tube will sit flush on the case surface, this is enough to ensure it's straight. No need to install the crown to the tube before fitting.

Use a minimal amount of JB Weld, check for any overspill around the lip and inside the tube itself. Use a toothpick to remove it. Clamp the tube in place, let it set overnight, job done.

3 hours ago, jackflash said:

I'm pretty sure you"ll find the llip on your tube will sit flush on the case surface, this is enough to ensure it's straight. No need to install the crown to the tube before fitting.

Use a minimal amount of JB Weld, check for any overspill around the lip and inside the tube itself. Use a toothpick to remove it. Clamp the tube in place, let it set overnight, job done.

Just to add to this, I done this on my 1675 build when I installed a 5.3mm crown.

Make sure you thoroughly degrease the tube and case threads. I used lighter fluid & pegwood ;) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A gen tube does not fit the rep case. Put it in with JB Weld. Leave it overnight before you remount the crown. Welcome to the wonderful world of reps. These a not gen case and rarely do gen parts fit.

A gen tube does not fit the rep case. Put it in with JB Weld. Leave it overnight before you remount the crown. Welcome to the wonderful world of reps. These a not gen case and rarely do gen parts fit.

Sorry, didn't see previous post.