When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Verification of 16800 case

occb2

I will be taking more pics.  But here is the history.  I have been attempting to get a case for any of my subs.  All my builds are completely Rolex now but the cases.  Over the years I have brought, 16610 case and 16710 case.  I saw this 16800 case on ebay and its local in NY.  Guy has amazing feed back and 0 negatives and over 750 positive feed backs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182264843323?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

To me it looks great.  It has marks of the band and it looks like a closet queen 16800.  The markings are correct the font are correct.  So my question, since it wasn't cheap does ANYONE see anything fishy about this case.  I don't have it in hand.  I will tonight BUT I will be in Hershey PA for a reunion unit Sunday.

All input is great.  If you don't know please don't comment and say anything.  All input is greatly appreciated.  My rolex place by be closed down and I have to go to Connecticut or NYC to have it looked at and apprised.  If you don't can't check out the link, here are some pics.

s-l1600-1.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg

s-l1600-3.jpg

s-l1600-4.jpg

s-l1600-5.jpg

s-l1600-6.jpg

s-l1600-7.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Oh I will have more pics on Sunday night.  I know you guys here make me look like a 1st grader when it comes to classic Rolexes.  I compare the pic to my ST 3035 and the Phong 16800 case I have is a 3135.  He made a mistake sent me the wrong movement case.  I asked him, how many 16800 do you know that have 3135's?  He gave me a discount and I kept it.  But I have a 3035 and all my 16800 is going onto the movement and into the case.  Thanks guys.  I will have the serial number checked if I can at Rolex.  Prior to me buying it I called some of my active guys in the NYPD and had them put the serial number in NCIC to see if it pops up as stolen.  It was fine.  

The good thing is that this dealer in queens that I got the case from is local.  He sales lots of stuff, mostly watches.  He has lots of cases and in this one he has the movement, full bezel, dial, hands and bracelet.  So that shows me he got the watch and chopped it up.  He has a bunch of other Rolexes on there.  Just not sports ones.  I told him to be on the look out for a 16710 for me.  Thanks again advance.

Rob

The case is fine, but has been well polished. This would have been a matte dial 16800 originally, so the original dial has been replaced- I would assume, didn't see it on the sellers site. Possibly the Swiss T<25 dial he has was the replacement dial- it's a later MK1 dial. At the prices this guy charges, I guess he makes money parting out these watches- $625 for the bezel and insert, $2250 for the case, maybe $1500 for the movement and $350 for a set of hands. Wonder where the click spring went! And 93150s with 593 end pieces are pricey these days also.

Good luck on your build

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2016 at 6:18 AM, occb2 said:

Thanks brother.  I thought the same thing.  I got the case in hand and the case end pieces marks look a lot better live than the pics.  Love it.  Again thanks tons.

Case looks sick brother, will you keep the build with your current WG surround dial or are you going for a matte dial? :p 

I just ordered a used 3035.  So hope its in OK condition.  If not its going to need service.  I've only serviced a 3035 automatic winding assembly and that was a bitch.  LOL.  Mike has my 16803 3035 dialed in that it runs -/+ 1 sec a day.  I am amazed.  It is like I sent it to rolex.  He came over and used my Micro stella wrench tool and not kidding.  1 sec a day.  The 3035 is an amazing movement.

I don't understand why people don't do a lot more 16800's than the 16610.  I love both but if you clone a 16800 the movement will move identical to a 2836 and 2824.  The 2824 doesn't snap at 12 like a rolex but very close.  Hand adjustment and beat and everything is the same.  My 16803 would run the same if I had it in a altered 16610 case.  Drill holes.  I think the rehaut is a little different but really the 16803 is amazing.  I go from that watch to my 16610 LV.  Can't wait to have the Daytona zenith going.  Throw that baby in the rotation.  Right now its my 16800, 16610LV, 16803, 16710.  The 5513 is only on special times where I don't need to know the date.  LOL.  The 1680 is the one that gets no love.  The 16610 is retired and is in my safe deposit.  As soon as I get my 16613 back from my father in law which might not be until he is gone.  That will also go in there.  Those are the only two that I have all the box and papers for.  The 16613 I have the receipt from the AD.  

My next plan is now that the cases and all parts are Rolex for the 16800, 16710 I will add them on to my insurance too but wear them of course.  If I can find a 1980's 5513 case.  Man that would be amazing.  God I love this hobby.