When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

xFathoms! wowow!

swdivad

Actually it has quietly amused me for years listening to all the arm chair enthusiasts comparing depth ratings. My Seiko with 100 metres is a bit limp. A real dive watch is at least 200 metres! 300 metres? 2000 metres. Deepsea is the only way to go?

Well my PADI open water cert covers me to...... Wait for it.........18 metres! Yes ladies at more than 200 metres I have much bigger problems than worrying if my watch is still ticking

Actually it has quietly amused me for years listening to all the arm chair enthusiasts comparing depth ratings. My Seiko with 100 metres is a bit limp. A real dive watch is at least 200 metres! 300 metres? 2000 metres. Deepsea is the only way to go?

Well my PADI open water cert covers me to...... Wait for it.........18 metres! Yes ladies at more than 200 metres I have much bigger problems than worrying if my watch is still ticking

hi, your right, but not correct!
up to 5atm~5 m deep rate means: no water at all!
5atm up to 10 atm ~ 10m means: you can Shower with it!
10atm up to 50 atm ~ 50m means: you can swim with it!
50atm up to 100atm ~ 100m means: you can dive up to 5m deep, not more!!!
150atm up to 300 atm - 300m means: you can dive up to 25m deep!
there is s big missunderstanding in the depthrates - laboratory conditions are never the same than scubadiving in open water! trust my, i'am a diver myselfe! for a propper divers watch, you need at least 300m up to 1000m...

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TomTom69 said:

hi, your right, but not correct!
up to 5atm~5 m deep rate means: no water at all!
5atm up to 10 atm ~ 10m means: you can Shower with it!
10atm up to 50 atm ~ 50m means: you can swim with it!
50atm up to 100atm ~ 100m means: you can dive up to 5m deep, not more!!!
150atm up to 300 atm - 300m means: you can dive up to 25m deep!
there is s big missunderstanding in the depthrates - laboratory conditions are never the same than scubadiving in open water! trust my, i'am a diver myselfe! for a propper divers watch, you need at least 300m up to 1000m...emoji1303.png

That is interesting and a little disturbing. My Seiko 100 metre has definitely seem more than the shower. I had read something about currents, movement and other factors meaning depth rating wasn't straight forward, but never really looked into it. I think I must.

I live in Ireland! Walking down a shopping street can involve more water than taking a shower, especially now winter is approaching.

• Like 1

There are actually two ISO standards for watches. A water-resistance standard and a diver's watch standard. These are different. A watch that has a water resistance rating of 100m is NOT suitable for skin diving while a diver's watch rated at 100m is. So if your Seiko says "Diver's 100m" it is suitable for skin diving. Usually a contemporary diver's watch will have a depth rating of at least 200m however. Now saturation diving that's another story.  

Edited by gasebah

There are actually two ISO standards for watches. A water-resistance standard and a diver's watch standard. These are different. A watch that has a water resistance rating of 100m is NOT suitable for skin diving while a diver's watch rated at 100m is. So if your Seiko says "Diver's 100m" it is suitable for skin diving. Usually a contemporary diver's watch will have a depth rating of at least 200m however. Now saturation diving that's another story.  

yeah, correct!
two standards, but total confusion!
my seikos are also 150-300m depthrate, and i dive with them - no problem! but i will not shower with my noob dssd V6S, even if it's stated more than 1000 meters!
it depends on the watch!

If you jump in the water from the side of the pool, the sudden pressure changes/increases is substantially more severe on the watch casing, seals, and crystal than taking a shower, or even a casual swim. Dive watches are designed with these extreme changes with appropriate safety factors.

@TomTom69

@Sogeha

http://www.seiko-prospex.com

Check the video with their depth tests especially the Marine master. I would say that Seiko's meters seem to be real meters. OK, they are "slow motion depth increase" not real person diving, but how do you create a standardized test in real water (also... Europe's deepest Lake is in Macedonia, and it ain't more than 500m.

I think I'll go with the "Depth meters/dollar"-principle. And SEIKO wins by far. :snorkel:

• Like 1

@TomTom69

@Sogeha

I think I'll go with the "Depth meters/dollar"-principle. And SEIKO wins by far. :snorkel:

Yes Seiko have been my choice of beach, swimming and scuba watch for thirty years. Many Seikos could be replaced for less than the cost of a minor repair on premium brand. The Marine Master is a beautiful watch in its own right.

• Like 1

71a80d240d941558eb920f1b8e691879.jpg

my last dive with my modded steinhart ocen one vintage. with a gen rolex 700 crone and tube installed, it is now fully waterproof for 10-20 meters!

tested for two weeks with every day diving, i think it's also a good choice beside my skx007 and big tuna ...

2a6f6f72db1fa9e44ecee2adf1c55c50.jpg

It is no rocket science to make a watch watertight and it does not cost an arm an a leg either. My first dive watch that I owned was a Russian Vostok Amphibian. I guess it was 100 German Marks at the time. I wore it for several weeks in dives up 41m and I still have it in some drawer alive and ticking. The construction is such that it gets more tight under pressure (at least until finally the crystal cracks).

For those who are really interested here is a very interesting post about the crude but effective design of the Vostok Amfibia:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f54/vostok-amphibia-analysis-design-methodology-491757.html

Especially interesting is the two piece caseback which is far superior in design to a Rolex Submariner e.g..

Edited by gasebah

I don't know what is generally thought around here, but I really like the Ocean One watches and the price is very agreeable too.

As for Vostock, I have a few and love the typical Russian take on waterproofing. Story goes that after glasnost when NASA and the Russian counterpart finally were able to exchange notes, NASA guys talked about the problems of writing in space how a huge amount of dollars ended up in the Fisher space pen. Great pens, I have a couple. The Russians shrugged and said we took pencils.

• Like 3