When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Recent build disputes/valuation questions

Mike on a bike

Just wanted to chime in here regarding vintage Rolex parts. I firmly believe that a seller has every right to ask "current replacement value" for parts. While few of us do, most will settle somewhere between what we paid and what it would cost to replace. While that is OK for the guys like me that only build occasional frankens, guys who do a lot of modding need to replace parts and it's not feasible to sell low and then lose money trying to replace parts at a higher price.
As Freddy stated, the "crazy" prices asked for vintage Rolex parts today will be the bargains of tomorrow! I just found that out a couple of days ago researching the prices on a Rolex 7205 Rivet bracelet. I was selling one and wanted to get and idea of the prices. Went to the VRF to check prices. Was I surprised!! These 19mm bracelets were selling for a 200-300 bucks a few years ago. Prices I saw on the marketplace was one for 1000.00 USD , up to 3900.00 Euros!!! But who knows, in a few more years they maybe 10K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Many people lost their accounts due to profiteering."

We had an 'official' parts account in the early 2000s.  We did not order much because we did not need much.

They cancelled the account after one year because we "did not buy enough material to justify an official parts account".

One year later it was reopened for no reason.  We bought some crowns, crystals, hands etc (placed an order every 2 or 3 months) so we would not be accused of not buying enough material.

They closed the account again after one year because we "bought too much material compared to year before last" , and were 'selling parts 'out the back door'.  I still have almost all of the parts today.

One year later they opened the parts account again.

We made one small order shortly after being reinstated and along with the parts was a notice that they had closed the account "permanently"  (no reason).  We heard they closed most of the independent accounts in the USA around this time (2006/2007).

Frankensteins forever.   :pimp: