When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5512 gilt chapter ring 2-liner dial - franken project

edgematic1

Hey guys,

Since I'm back I have been reading a lot. A lot about the build of you guys and a lot about what's available on the market. In the last 2 years vintage watches have become a true passion to me. Mainly Heuer and Rolex but also Seiko, Omega, Longines and quite a few smaller brands.

In the past I built about 3 franken AP ROO's, a whole different game but those were quite extensive mods/builds which led me to producing my own datewheels as well. If I'm taking on a project I like to do it properly.

Anyhow. At the moment I'm looking for a franken 5512 project. Most likely a 1962 5512 PCG with chapter ring 2-liner dial. The gilt 5512 & 5513 series are to me what a Porsche 930 Turbo is. Not the original submariner/911 but a magnificent upgrade which makes my heart go faster.

Currently I'm thinking about this build:

• Voldemort dial
  • Gen hands - relumed to match the dial, hands should have some corrosion
  • T19 plexi, either from MY or a gen, the ones from MY seem to be pricey too compared to a gen one, I love the superdome, also had this on my gen 5513gilt
  • 1530 caliber movt.
  • Athaya crown or gen crown, not decided yet
  • 7206 riveted bracelet from Yuki with gen endlinks
  • Case, here comes my question:

While a lot of 5512's have been built here I haven't really found a clear answer to my quest for the best case to buy for this project. I have currently been in touch with Jensen/Vintagewatchmaker (son of Phong) to ask some dimensions etc. I think their cases look amazing including the serial engraving, their caseback work etc.

As most of you know the PCG cases are thinner than the regular cases, so I'm wondering if Jensen's case is a good one for this project. As for the casework, anyone willing to help/assist? Or who should I get in touch with?
I've been pretty amazed with some of the work you guys delivered.

Anyway, feel free to share your thoughts. All help is appreciated.
What do you think about the Phong/Vintagewatchmaker 5512 PCG cases?

Example piece:

BS-W-123-Rolex-5512-GILT-615-15.jpg

http://www.vintagewatchmaker.com/product-p/wc-05.htm

This case looks decent, but if Jensen is like Phong, it's expensive. But if you're going for a full tilt rep, you'll need a 1530 movement and should use a 700 crown, but may have to settle for an Athaya one since gens are tough to find. Not sure about the case being as thin as you want- also, the bezel teeth are too sharp and need to be smoother, better worn. I don't know where you are, but rolojack has been doing case shaping. 7206 bracelets have gotten expensive- too much competition for vintage parts these days. But you're on the right course for a first class build, I can see you spending $3-4K usd, but that is cheaper than a gen which would be $10K plus these days.

• Like 1

Edge, having seen a very large number of vintage Rolexes, a phong is a good base but you will need to send it to a modder to get it reshaped. The smallest details are what makes vintage Rolex amazing. The chamfers, thin profiles, nicely aged dial and will lumed plots are very hard to find well put together. There are many people who can do it at Europe as you mentioned. 3-4K estimate is on the correct ballpark. But expect things to go wrong, like all mods, they require patience, can't wait to see what you can create ;)

17 hours ago, Retina said:

Edge, having seen a very large number of vintage Rolexes, a phong is a good base but you will need to send it to a modder to get it reshaped. The smallest details are what makes vintage Rolex amazing. The chamfers, thin profiles, nicely aged dial and will lumed plots are very hard to find well put together. There are many people who can do it at Europe as you mentioned. 3-4K estimate is on the correct ballpark. But expect things to go wrong, like all mods, they require patience, can't wait to see what you can create ;)

Thnx buddy. Any suggestions who to get in touch with in the EU? I have used RolexAddict before, not sure if he's still around, he's pretty good at aging a case. As for casework itself I'm thinking about Zocker maybe?
Actually, I don't think it's a problem to send a case anywhere in the world. If it's the case only.