When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 5513, nearly off the bench....

rolojack

5 hours ago, rolojack said:

I think it's the cartel. It wasn't sent to me directly from the dealer so I can't be sure... Only the owner can confirm...

Well we will know if the insert falls off from being wet a few times.    I love the cartel 5513 but I'm frustrated they have perfect case neck size but then the bezel itself itself is out of spec so the insert is glued instead of pressure fit.     So you end up having to buy an entire bezel assembly even though the case neck is correct.... 

rolojack...that is one fine looking watch!

"I love the cartel 5513 but I'm frustrated they have perfect case neck size but then the bezel itself is out of spec so the insert is glued instead of pressure fit.  So you end up having to buy an entire bezel assembly even though the case neck is correct...."

IF  the case neck is oem spec 28.2mm and IF  you need a new bezel assembly...here is what I found (usually)  works:  GS PA 462-66 crystal and ST/Clark etc bezel kit IF  the ID of the inner bezel is 30.2mm.  The 28.2mm case neck and 30.2mm inner bezel will not crack the crystal when pressing it on because it is not a real tight fit on the crystal while at the same time the crystal will not pop off or leak in day to day service (although I have not tested one below about 5 atm/70 psi).  GS crystals are precision made and always the same spec unlike much of the inconsistent junk scattered all over the internet.  The PA 462-66 is a domed crystal that has the sidewall coming straight up about 1.7 to 2.0mm above the bezel insert.  You also have to make sure the bezel washer does not cause the rotating bezel to bind.  The washer needs to fit over the small lip on the inner bezel (if there is  one, it is there to keep the sharp washer away from the crystal) while not sticking out over the outer edge of the inner bezel or it will bind the rotating bezel.  Many (if not most) aftmkt bezel washers are out of spec in my experience.

I have tried this same setup with a GS PA 462-67 crystal and the inner bezel was too tight.  Also measured a couple MBK inner bezels and they were both 30.15mm id...not much difference but they can be pretty tight with the GS PA 462-66 crystal.  Matter of fact, I broke a new PA 462-66 with a MBK inner bezel on an MBK case a few days ago.  It leaked and I had to look down through the outer edge of the crystal with a 10x loupe under bright light to see the hairline cracks.  I found that ST/Clark rotating bezels will accept oem spec inserts and they snap in correctly...many aftmkt inserts and insert seats in bezels are out of spec.

"I love the cartel 5513 but I'm frustrated they have perfect case neck size but then the bezel itself is out of spec so the insert is glued instead of pressure fit.  So you end up having to buy an entire bezel assembly even though the case neck is correct...."

IF  the case neck is oem spec 28.2mm and IF  you need a new bezel assembly...here is what I found (usually)  works:  GS PA 462-66 crystal and ST/Clark etc bezel kit IF  the ID of the inner bezel is 30.2mm.  The 28.2mm case neck and 30.2mm inner bezel will not crack the crystal when pressing it on because it is not a real tight fit on the crystal while at the same time the crystal will not pop off or leak in day to day service (although I have not tested one below about 5 atm/70 psi).  GS crystals are precision made and always the same spec unlike much of the inconsistent junk scattered all over the internet.  The PA 462-66 is a domed crystal that has the sidewall coming straight up about 1.7 to 2.0mm above the bezel insert.  You also have to make sure the bezel washer does not cause the rotating bezel to bind.  The washer needs to fit over the small lip on the inner bezel (if there is  one, it is there to keep the sharp washer away from the crystal) while not sticking out over the outer edge of the inner bezel or it will bind the rotating bezel.  Many (if not most) aftmkt bezel washers are out of spec in my experience.

I have tried this same setup with a GS PA 462-67 crystal and the inner bezel was too tight.  Also measured a couple MBK inner bezels and they were both 30.15mm id...not much difference but they can be pretty tight with the GS PA 462-66 crystal.  Matter of fact, I broke a new PA 462-66 with a MBK inner bezel on an MBK case a few days ago.  It leaked and I had to look down through the outer edge of the crystal with a 10x loupe under bright light to see the hairline cracks.  I found that ST/Clark rotating bezels will accept oem spec inserts and they snap in correctly...many aftmkt inserts and insert seats in bezels are out of spec.

It's very interesting. I project to replace my Clark 25-19 with a GS from ofrei on my Cartel. But as I shaved my retaining ring, I need a new bezel assembly. Any suggestions where I could buy one ? I saw the 149$ WSO, is it accurate and the good size for Cartel ? Can't find Clarks bezel assembly.

They list for $89.95 and I have an order almost ready to go so if you want one I can include it in the order but can not guarantee it will make it to France...but it probably will.  Any discount I get on the parts will come off the actual shipping cost.  These bezels are matte finished and need to be polished but it is very easy to do.  They have the GS PA 462-66 crystals too...about $10 each.  No guarantee it will all fit together on your watch though.

WSO parts are sometimes hit or miss as far as proper fit is concerned.

On 10/7/2016 at 0:24 AM, automatico said:

Wow, thanks for sharing.  I need to settle a proper build with my newer Cartel so this will help.  What is ST?  I know Clark bezels are on eBay but what/where is ST?

Edited by RickFlorida