When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Show me your MQ dials!

irolexu

14 hours ago, Max72 said:

Does the minute track on MQ's dials have the step?

Sadly, no. That is their 1 big fail. I have never seen an aftermarket Newman dial (including the infamous 'Texas' dials) that got that correct.

If you have the courage/skill to remove/reinstall all of the index markers, find a piece of pipe with an inner circumference that matches the intersection of the minute track/dial face & sandwich the dial between a flat plate & the pipe. Use a caseback press (or similar) to press the edge of the pipe into the minute track to create the step. While you are at it, locate a dowel or solid pipe whose outer circumference matches the diameter of the subdials & press those to the same depth as the minute track, ideally, both should be ~.5~1mm. Be very careful because it is very easy to damage an expensive dial - ask me how I know.;)

Sadly, no. That is their 1 big fail. I have never seen an aftermarket Newman dial (including the infamous 'Texas' dials) that got that correct.
If you have the courage/skill to remove/reinstall all of the index markers, find a piece of pipe with an inner circumference that matches the intersection of the minute track/dial face & sandwich the dial between a flat plate & the pipe. Use a caseback press (or similar) to press the edge of the pipe into the minute track to create the step. While you are at it, locate a dowel or solid pipe whose outer circumference matches the diameter of the subdials & press those to the same depth as the minute track, ideally, both should be ~.5~1mm. Be very careful because it is very easy to damage an expensive dial - ask me how I know.

Thanks Freddy, as usual very knowledgeable on the subject!!!
So MQ has good fonts and spacing but no step... I was checking Phong's PN dial and couldn't make out from his pictures if it has the step or not; this leaves Phong's son as the only one offering a dial with the recessed minute track?

On 10/20/2016 at 8:45 PM, slay said:

Relumed/aged the dial myself:

8j5vzEm.jpg

Looks awesome.. one thing I've always wondered is how in the real world do these gens get their dials and hands so beat up and tarnished? Were the watchmakers back then just savage on their handling? Too many times I see gen vintage watches and the dials are beat.. 

Looks awesome.. one thing I've always wondered is how in the real world do these gens get their dials and hands so beat up and tarnished? Were the watchmakers back then just savage on their handling? Too many times I see gen vintage watches and the dials are beat.. 

Back then these references don't worth much, a lot of watch makers can be rough with them. For example, NOS Milsub dials are worth £50 around 30 yrs ago!

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

The dials had radium lume plots in the 50s, so a lot of the 'beat up' look is from radioactive decay. Glossy dials that are still glossy 60+ years later with radium markers are most certainly fake or had the radium/tritium stripped many many years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1