When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Daytona 6263 Hunt (DW/SPinmaster/Kenny/Watchguyusa1) Anyone else?

TheSociety

4 minutes ago, paristoto said:

Any leads on sourcing a gen bracelet + endlinks?

There's no magic, unfortunately.  Keep searching the 'bay for any of the appropriate ones: 7205 (rivet), 7835 (folded), or 78350 (solid).  Get a sniping service to hide your interest.  There are a few sellers in Singapore and the UK whom I've had good luck with.  I've won nice examples of each for $275-350.  Anything under $400 is a solid deal.  End links are a tough subject, even on gen watches (generally don't fit well from the factory) so I don't get too hung up on those.  In fact, I buy gen ones for a deal when I find them, but also buy aftermarket ones and mangle them to suit my purposes as necessary.  On this 7205, the 57 ends have the perfect "funky fit" for the era.

One other area where I've done well on my 20mm bracelets is buying pieces and assembling them.  I have a few clasps, and have bought links separately.  Like the end links, a worn gen bracelet gives the right patina and glow to a rep that might otherwise look too sharp and shiny.  Plus, as a guy who wears gen a fair amount of the time, the aftermarket just can't replicate crowns, coronets, or bracelets that well.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Small questions for you daytona connaisseur. I cant take picture rite now since the cam on me phone is [censored].

I have a DW based newman. 

- DW Panda dial aged by rolexaddict

- DW case reshaped by RA

- DW pushers and crown

- Service T21

- DW thin hands for subdials and DW hands aged by RA

- DW Steel Bezel

- Ebay 450 bucks bakelite bezel (so i swapp em sometimes)

How much could i sell it? I d be looking to sell it against a good gilt based dial or a pepsi 1675 or a good with flat 4 1655 or any good modded / franken vintage rollies since i dont like the panda dial (i know i know). 

Thing is i have no clue how much it does costs since the DW market is a little crazy with people overpaying em. 

If you guys have some ideas, it d be hepful! 

Small questions for you daytona connaisseur. I cant take picture rite now since the cam on me phone is [censored].
I have a DW based newman. 
- DW Panda dial aged by rolexaddict
- DW case reshaped by RA
- DW pushers and crown
- Service T21
- DW thin hands for subdials and DW hands aged by RA
- DW Steel Bezel
- Ebay 450 bucks bakelite bezel (so i swapp em sometimes)

How much could i sell it? I d be looking to sell it against a good gilt based dial or a pepsi 1675 or a good with flat 4 1655 or any good modded / franken vintage rollies since i dont like the panda dial (i know i know). 
Thing is i have no clue how much it does costs since the DW market is a little crazy with people overpaying em. 

If you guys have some ideas, it d be hepful! 

I sent you a few messages.
What movement do you have in there?
DW case and dial are 7750 which is much less than what a V72 would be.

Since DW A7750's went for $350ish before he disappeared, I'd say one that's been gone through by a watchmaker with some nice mods is worth at least that, and maybe $500 to the right buyer?
But...it really comes down to what the market wants to pay.

His final ones with 7750 and correct flat S bezel Paul Newman went for $800. Prices are all over the place but recently went up pretty high. All he used ones I've seen was over $750

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Did you buy the whole movement like this or just the Rolex bridge?

Got the whole movement complete with the bridge (Phong) and serviced. It's my second v72 - I have mostly sold off all my other pieces in favor of two v72 builds, one white and one black Newman. I have a black Newman RCO dial on order from MQ and the other Newman has a gen "Texas" dial from the 80s

Got the whole movement complete with the bridge (Phong) and serviced. It's my second v72 - I have mostly sold off all my other pieces in favor of two v72 builds, one white and one black Newman. I have a black Newman RCO dial on order from MQ and the other Newman has a gen "Texas" dial from the 80s

I hope you didn't pay too much more than 1600$ for this movement, because the only thing that has been changed vs. any generic valjoux 72 is the chronograph bridge! It's not converted to a 727. I hope he didn't tell you otherwise.

46 minutes ago, slay said:

I hope you didn't pay too much more than 1600$ for this movement, because the only thing that has been changed vs. any generic valjoux 72 is the chronograph bridge! It's not converted to a 727. I hope he didn't tell you otherwise.

Don't worry, I know that. I've looked at tons of movements and studied them and a fully converted 727 would be way out of my range. The bridge alone is $450 from Phong. I was offered a fully converted 727 and rejected it because it's not worth it to me. I have a non-converted serviced Certina v72 I'm completely happy with. This just happens to already come serviced with the bridge too. It is a fully built complete with a Phong case, yuki dial, and hands. I'm swapping out for an MQ dial I have incoming :)

Edited by TheSociety

Can anyone advise as to what the differences are between the 727 and 72, and how that might affect a 62XX series build?

The 72 is your base Valjoux movement. Rolex modifies them and label them 72B or 727 (for the 6263/6265).

Just don't get a 72C or 730 - these are the date movements of the 72 and are not compatible with our builds. Although they can be had for cheaper and there has been talks of removing the date parts to convert back to a 72 movement but no one has confirmed that this could work.

Also some Valjoux 72 doesn't fit our cases. I've heard this with Heur's version of the v72. Also not all v72 are the same quality. Some off brands versions don't have as good finishing so pay attention to that when you're looking for a movement.

Im sorry but I don't get it why a 72c will not fit a gen-size case like the phong one once having removed the calendar parts as it's exactly the same size.
Could you teach me why?
Thx

It just doesn't. Physics? It's a different movement. You can try it and let us know? Would be awesome if it fits because there are way more triple date 72C donor watches available. I've seen the them for $500-600. Now the cheapest v72 I've seen on eBay was $1350 and it wasn't in very good shape. Would need a full service for another 400-500.

Can anyone advise as to what the differences are between the 727 and 72, and how that might affect a 62XX series build?

Rolex modified the Base valjoux 72 heavily.

Technics:

They changed the Amplitude to 21600bph (from 18000), which makes the watch more accurate. They also used KIF shock protection

Optics:

Rolex Hand finiahed each Individual part of the movement, they beveled & polished the edges of even the smallest parts and finished the top side of all bridges with grooves.

Sometimes the sellers scam members here who don't know any better and just swap out the bridge and call it converted. The finish of the movement is usually the easiest tell. I posted some pictures of my 727 a couple of weeks ago in this thread, if you compare them to a regular v72 you will see the difference immediately.

Below is a schma I made that will give you a good idea how much work such a conversion is:

caeac299645ec99ac392001dd3f28c79.jpg