When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Daytona 6263 Hunt (DW/SPinmaster/Kenny/Watchguyusa1) Anyone else?

TheSociety

I mean exactly that -  not comparable.
They don't fit the Daytona cases.

After removing the alarm parts you can fit them in a Daytona case. See paristos who posted pics of his 6263 with a converted v730

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't worry, I know that. I've looked at tons of movements and studied them and a fully converted 727 would be way out of my range. The bridge alone is $450 from Phong. I was offered a fully converted 727 and rejected it because it's not worth it to me. I have a non-converted serviced Certina v72 I'm completely happy with. This just happens to already come serviced with the bridge too. It is a fully built complete with a Phong case, yuki dial, and hands. I'm swapping out for an MQ dial I have incoming

Good. Just wanted to make sure you weren't taken advantage of and sold a lemon - like several other members before you!

You are correct, what phong charges for a full & proper conversion is ridiculous and only economical for someone who wants to pass the converted movement of as genuine.
Other movement finishers may be able to do the conversion for less though (including swiss and German watchmakers).

• Like 1

Rolex modified the Base valjoux 72 heavily.
Technics:
They changed the Amplitude to 21600bph (from 18000), which makes the watch more accurate. They also used KIF shock protection
Optics:
Rolex Hand finiahed each Individual part of the movement, they beveled & polished the edges of even the smallest parts and finished the top side of all bridges with grooves.
Sometimes the sellers scam members here who don't know any better and just swap out the bridge and call it converted. The finish of the movement is usually the easiest tell. I posted some pictures of my 727 a couple of weeks ago in this thread, if you compare them to a regular v72 you will see the difference immediately.
Below is a schma I made that will give you a good idea how much work such a conversion is:
caeac299645ec99ac392001dd3f28c79.jpg

Great info. How does this look compared to yours?

6319ed8ad1d48743a93c75cc05609b30.jpge3e80958140d98fda827e61407e12070.jpg

Thank you Alligoat, slay and TheSociety.

I would love to get to the bottom of whether or not calendar derivatives of the V72 fit in a V72 case.

I will talk to one of my watchmaker friends who works on Daytonas often enough and see if he has any input on the topic.

It would be amazing if we had community resources/funds to put towards getting answers like this. A knowledge slush fund so to speak

edit: just scrolled up a bit and saw that we already have a confirmation that those movements fit. That's sweet! 

What's the best current-market option for a Daytona case? phong?

Edited by Revere

Thank you Alligoat, slay and TheSociety.
I would love to get to the bottom of whether or not calendar derivatives of the V72 fit in a V72 case.
I will talk to one of my watchmaker friends who works on Daytonas often enough and see if he has any input on the topic.

It would be amazing if we had community resources/funds to put towards getting answers like this. A knowledge slush fund so to speak

edit: just scrolled up a bit and saw that we already have a confirmation that those movements fit. That's sweet! 

What's the best current-market option for a Daytona case? phong?

I see above answer by Alligoat too but I would love to hear more details:

-what parts needs to be removed? Calendar and date and alarm function?
-relative price for these mods
-after these parts are removed does it effective make it a V72 and will fit perfectly into our donor cases?

As far as cases go you have the following options:

DW (long out of production but relatively cheap, I've seen them for $350-$450)
Yuki (also out of production, roughly $1000 when it was available - anyone pls correct me if this is wrong I've only seen this number listed in a previous thread)
Phong (expensive $1500 but currently the best option I've found - this is what I use)

• Like 1

On 12/31/2016 at 6:38 PM, TheSociety said:

Great info. How does this look compared to yours?

Not good. The movement parts have not been refinished. It looks like only two bridges were swapped. That's not a proper conversion. Rolex refinished each part by hand, the edges of even the tiniest parts and springs are beveled & polished on the sides. See the picture below to give you a better idea.

The balance bride looks like it has been changed to one with KIF shock protection and the Rolex marked chrono bridge was added. I can't tell from a picture whether the amplitude has been converted to 21600bph. However - just swapping the balance is not enough, you need to translate the amplitude via gears for correct time keeping. If you keep the same gears & change the amplitude, the watch won't run accurate anymore. I highly doubt someone would go through all the trouble to find a 21600bph balance wheel & spring, change many of the gears inside the movement, but then stop at refinishing all the visible parts. 

Below is the level of finish that I expect from a genuine Rolex 72B or 727. I'm sure you can instantly see that all the movement parts on your pic look much "rougher" and nowhere near as nice & smooth as on the picture below. 

281e51320945ac8de00750817261709e-3.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 8:31 PM, TheSociety said:

Thanks bro broken chrono but time keeping is great. This thing is so rare I didn't even care!

02d5373dbff2e66056f26279d1cec766.jpg

Do you know anything about why it doesn't work ? I now know quite a bit about working on the v72 movement......

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 8:18 PM, TheSociety said:

Just completed Valjoux 72 fully converted to Rolex Caliber 727

37080166b570a163955bfaf2ce5b5b00.jpg

Wow ! Cool ! and even a free sprung balance with over coil ?

Edited by Accutronitis

On 19/1/2017 at 9:28 PM, dpap said:

Do all DW cases work for a v72 or is there variation?

It was 2 cases the a7753 and the v23/mysterious thinnest, I think the main difference its the caseback thickness, but after reading lots of posts about DWs they were changing so many "versions" were avaliable back in time.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Sogeha said:

Well it's your choice. I would keep the 6263 because I like the black bezels, but you might prefer to keep the 6239 so you have a black bezel and a steel one. 

I would say the same exact thing. Black dial Daytonas are the sex, though, so you can't go wrong. 

• Like 1