When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Daytona 6263 Hunt (DW/SPinmaster/Kenny/Watchguyusa1) Anyone else?

TheSociety

Guys I appreciate the input. Either way I think it's a great buy. I have about $1400 in the Cartier one. This is what it has when I got it. The bezel I added later from my dads parts pin of gen parts so im pretty sure it's a gen bezel - I'll take some
Better pics of it on the gen rivet when I get a chance

Rolex Daytona 6239 Paul Newman Tiffany
GEN Dial (refinished, one-off)
GEN Pushers
GEN Crystal
GEN Rivet Bracelet (in amazing shape)
GEN spec spring bars
Athaya Crown / Stem / Tube
Case softened
Serviced movement

d1d463d35afb8690a67683822eca0773.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a great article on the "Paul Newman", aka "exotic" Daytona dials.

https://www.revolution.watch/paul-newman-daytona-101/

It's well known that when these dials were first released, they were very unpopular-- many of the early Daytonas with the exotic dials sat on the shelves of ADs for years, even decades without being sold. In some cases, the watches were actually refitted with the more "standard" dials.

Unlike today, where Rolex controls and manufactures literally every single piece that is used in their watches, at the time these Daytona reference series were produced, Singer was the principal supplier of dials for Rolex watches. There is at least some evidence to suggest that many more of these "exotic" dials were produced by Singer than were ever used by Rolex, thus the potential for one to be able to find an exotic dial that wasn't used on a production watch. These are still rarities however, and obviously, the vast majority of "genuine" exotic dials are fakes-- some are simply much better than others.

Forgot to include these-- a couple more very interesting articles on the PN dials:

https://www.revolution.watch/paul-newman-daytonas-the-controversies/

https://www.revolution.watch/paul-newman-daytona-101-screw-pushers/

It's likely the folklore and controversy surrounding the "exotic dial" Daytonas will only continue to grow over time...

Forgot to include these-- a couple more very interesting articles on the PN dials:
https://www.revolution.watch/paul-newman-daytonas-the-controversies/
https://www.revolution.watch/paul-newman-daytona-101-screw-pushers/
It's likely the folklore and controversy surrounding the "exotic dial" Daytonas will only continue to grow over time...

Incredible read. I need to get your Franken and mine together for a photoshoot! Let me know if you're ever in California

22 minutes ago, TheSociety said:

Incredible read. I need to get your Franken and mine together for a photoshoot! Let me know if you're ever in California emoji4.png

Ha ha, will do! Perhaps between us we can create the "Hodinkee Definitive Guide to Newman Frankentonas", lol. 

2 hours ago, cleebeauregard@yahoo.com said:

Here's a great article on the "Paul Newman", aka "exotic" Daytona dials.

https://www.revolution.watch/paul-newman-daytona-101/

It's well known that when these dials were first released, they were very unpopular-- many of the early Daytonas with the exotic dials sat on the shelves of ADs for years, even decades without being sold. In some cases, the watches were actually refitted with the more "standard" dials.

Unlike today, where Rolex controls and manufactures literally every single piece that is used in their watches, at the time these Daytona reference series were produced, Singer was the principal supplier of dials for Rolex watches. There is at least some evidence to suggest that many more of these "exotic" dials were produced by Singer than were ever used by Rolex, thus the potential for one to be able to find an exotic dial that wasn't used on a production watch. These are still rarities however, and obviously, the vast majority of "genuine" exotic dials are fakes-- some are simply much better than others.

correct about the Cosmographs, they were definitely slow sellers. Some languished on AD's shelves and in their safe for years. In fact it was a common thing down here where I live to get a Cosmograph thrown in when one purchased an 18K gold Day Date!

While there may have been Singer dials produced that never were delivered to Rolex, I seriously doubt that once the Rolex  dials (actually used in watches) started to increase in value, the Singer dials wouldn't go up at the same rate. I would agree that unless one had and iron clad provenance, I would be skeptical as to the authenticity of any Daytona dial being offered at "below market" price. These watches are in the rarified strata of truly serious collectible watches. When one enters this world with the intent of participating, they better be very, very knowledgeable, or have someone they trust who is.  

Well in any case like I said I think I paid a very fair given the mods / gen parts (regardless of whether the dials are reprints on gen plates etc) / gen rivet and case works

Also here's a look at the elusive DW 6263 Albino c241d443ac43da098a19289960fb5999.jpg

I believe this Albino was mine to start with. I should have the pics somewhere. Let me find them.

6a8f07f5161075b378b8f3f33298215d.jpg
ed69a4316f127cba41e1ed1aa685e32f.jpg
Not as good pics as yours but it was a DW albino with the exact same specs as yours.

I believe this Albino was mine to start with. I should have the pics somewhere. Let me find them. 6a8f07f5161075b378b8f3f33298215d.jpg
ed69a4316f127cba41e1ed1aa685e32f.jpg
Not as good pics as yours but it was a DW albino with the exact same specs as yours.

Wow that's STUNNING Bro. Funny that it would be yours. There are only 4 known examples that I have counted across 4 forums - all DW of course. I know he probably made more but whatever happened to them we will never know!

Your collection is seriously impressive! What are your plans for the Franken? Someday I will get the courage to do a Gen movement Valjoux 72 build!

Wow that's STUNNING Bro. Funny that it would be yours. There are only 4 known examples that I have counted across 4 forums - all DW of course. I know he probably made more but whatever happened to them we will never know!

Your collection is seriously impressive! What are your plans for the Franken? Someday I will get the courage to do a Gen movement Valjoux 72 build!

That's nothing. My collection is 40 Rolex strong. I think I need help.

782efbca600af27c7f71055e44acbea7.jpg
Just a tiny look. The 1655 was Rolojack franken. The 5513 tropical was Slay. The Reds on top are fabulous. And the various chronographs are...not going anywhere loool.

Wow stunning! Is that pillows from Donerix's line of beautiful watch boxes?

@retina specs? I'll buy it when you want to upgrade haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk@paristoto classy bro, classy!!

It was my first PN, unlikely I'll let it go though... I never really got hard into the PN daytonas for some reason... they are great to wear with suits though :)