When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A better 6538 project

Bart Cordell

It looks very good now, but personally I think the second hand is too brilliant white. I just looked online at gens and of course over the decades there has been a mellowing of the paint. They are mostly still very white, but seem not so stark white. IMO it is a very small detail that would give it a huge boost forward.

Your opinion is greatly appreciated mate.
I know it's a bit pristine but I'm not very handy in aging parts. Tried to age hands with salt & vinegar without success. If someone have good tip to age hands I take it !

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 16.11.2016 at 9:28 AM, Bart Cordell said:

Your opinion is greatly appreciated mate.
I know it's a bit pristine but I'm not very handy in aging parts. Tried to age hands with salt & vinegar without success. If someone have good tip to age hands I take it !

emoji632.png

Hit up kilowattore (sorry if spelled wrong). He aged his pretty nicely imo. I managed to age mine a bit with heat, have a look: 

53449F19-AE13-48A2-9A94-F05138C08948_zps

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bart Cordell said:

@Limer heat only ? I already tried in oven with some expresso

I laid the hands on a stone plate and used a match to age it. Originally I was aging the lume a bit, but this came out as a by product. Just be careful, if you over do it, the gold changes its color. Let me know if you need any further assistance. Btw, your build still kills me... I messaged tonny, but didn't get a reply so far. 

• Like 1

@SuperHero Thanks mate ! 

But it's far from perfect. I think I have approached my limits on decals dials possibilities. I'm waiting the opportunity to find a nice refinished dial for this one.

If it were a competition, the winner would be dbane 6538 <3

• Like 1

Subscribed !

let's stay in touch! I will do a new bunch of dials for my seiko customs in the next weeks and will post some pics and videos, then!
what are the real vintage gilt dials made of? bras plate with black coating and real gold printing color, I guess?!
no Problem to reproduce, but I need a good vector eps to deal with!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

How does it work ? Can you print a dial like mine ?

just to show how this machine works...

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk