When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I can't believe I'm saying this

Nanuq

• 2 weeks later...

You might like my new pick up ( on the way ) nice size for us Rolex guys .............

Scored the 512 I was looking for and it has been totally gone over!

Now considering the labor Rolexmam put into this one really jazzed at getting it you will notice my good mate Sgtguk in there trying to jump this one also he is not a fan of Coo-coo clocks on his wrists either. Just hope it makes it across the pond!

Oh no... it's contagious!!

So while I was looking for info about my busted 604 I saw a thread with a very handsome 6497 movement thinking it would drop in to replace my busted P.3000 and then thought "hey I could just keep that Pam183".

This is how it starts. Next you'll find me lying in a gutter somewhere surrounded by Panerai case protectors and leather straps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi. My name is Jay...i am an addict.

It started innocently enough...just cruising the web looking for a decent dive watch for weekends. Found a Helson and liked it. Then i found the forum and started spending time with shady characters with loose morals and 47mm case watches... i got my first taste...a Breguet 5177..so sweet...i wanted more...soon i was cruising the brand forums and hanging out in the M2M alley...by the third JLC i started to realize i had a problem...hiding pieces in the closet, sneaking tourbys into the house when no one was around...it got bad.

I realized i needed help when i woke up and found i was shaking and sick at having to wait until after the CNY for my first Pam purchase to arrive...finding i had binged on TWO beautiful Pams...hooked now...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

...welcome the twins (fraternal, not identical)

20170213_123756_zps7tzedgyc.jpg

20170213_123806_zpseibqc4lu.jpg20170213_123813_zpsvs0mpcbi.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Hi Jay, welcome. That's always the first step, admitting you have a problem. Lesser known is the second step: to divulge yourself of the things that tempt you.

I'll PM you my shipping address. :Jumpy:

Seems we have a problem with log in ID again. @Nanuq Co. Admin of a watch obsessive site, could not possibly be advising members to admit they have a problem and divest themselves of watches.

Who are you and what have you done with Nanuq?

@Jmsd

Give in to your cravings 

Buy

Buy more

We are here to help you buddy 

• 3 weeks later...
Someone mentioned a slippery slope? Don't look at the vintage Panerai scene if that worries you...

*ears perk up*

Ohhhhhh?? Do tell! :notworthy:

I was all hot under the covers for a 6152, then someone pointed out the 6154 with its oh-so-sexy midcase crease. It was love at first sight... until I spied a 3646. :wub:

For the love of all that's holy, how deep does the "vintage Panerai" well go? Tell us more, Sensei!

*ears perk up*

Ohhhhhh?? Do tell! :notworthy:

I was all hot under the covers for a 6152, then someone pointed out the 6154 with its oh-so-sexy midcase crease. It was love at first sight... until I spied a 3646. :wub:

For the love of all that's holy, how deep does the "vintage Panerai" well go? Tell us more, Sensei!

You know the drill regardless of what brand you get in too deep and wide with. With the vintage Panerais, you start with say a 6152/1. The classic vintage Panerai with that big crown guard sitting there all proud. Then you see the sleek 6154 with the pretty crease running along the sides. Then you see the 3646, which has its very own beauty from the elegant angles that come together at every corner. Then you find a 6152, which is a blending of the 6152/1 and the 6154. Then you find a one off where it looks like someone at Panerai decided to modify the 6154 to an even thinner mid case with the lugs butted off. They did not even bother really naming it. Then you see a 3646 based mid case where the wire lugs are not there, but instead they have welded four fixed lugs on. Then you find another case that looks like the lugs are curved like a horn. Creatively, they call it a hornlug. LOL. Then you can go off into chasing the Mare Nostrum and the Mille Metri. If you want to keep sliding, you start adding more than one of each of these given there are multiple versions of each of them from types of movements inside to dial types even looks of how the dials have aged, not to mention the sewn on straps on the 3646 with closed wire lugs means you need multiple case just to have the right combination of types of leathers. People around you start wondering what is going on with you.

25cbbb4e9548b413f69c4ed3c0ebe75f.jpg

• Like 2

Daaaaannnnnggggggg.....

So a "volcano" is the big hemispheric domed crystal? Gorgeous.

I unscrewed the back off my 3646 Rolerai, made from a 3-part River case. When I went to put the back on again I had trouble... the fingernail test didn't find any threads there to screw it on. And yet that's what it took. The wad-of-tape trick put it back on.

Although, even screwed on, there's a gap between my caseback and midcase, and between my bezel and midcase. It's like the caseback goes through the midcase and screws into the bezel, and the midcase is just there to look pretty? So what holds the movement and its ring in the case? Is it squeezed between the back and bezel?

How exactly are these things constructed? In my Rolex builds there's a case, the back screws on and the front bezel presses on to capture the crystal. Movement tabs and screws hold the movement and spacer inside the case.

Also what Pams would be appropriate to have a big fat 8mm Brevet crown? My Rolerai has a nice very early Brevet but I'm interested in putting a big fat Athaya 8mm on there.....

Thanks for the pointers, what basic steps would a Pam noob follow for their first build?

Talk about a wide open topic, we're all Rolex here ... it would do us good to expand in new directions. And we have an expert right here among us! :tu: