When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Trump as President?

Tribal

Puppet on a string...?

I can see why it happened, all the parties by and large stopped listening to the majority of the people, who got ticked off and voted like this to cause a shake up.

Exactly what happened with Brexit over here.

Problem is although it does shake the parties up and makes them aware, it also has unfortunate side effects!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fraggle42 said:

Puppet on a string...?

I can see why it happened, all the parties by and large stopped listening to the majority of the people, who got ticked off and voted like this to cause a shake up.

Exactly what happened with Brexit over here.

Problem is although it does shake the parties up and makes them aware, it also has unfortunate side effects!

Needed to be done and yes there maybe some side effects but the alternative of letting our government become a self sustaining hierarchy out of common man's control is worse long term. A little house cleaning is healthy once in a while . In addition Clinton is a hawk in the neo-con vein more likely to get into a war with her than Trump if that's what worries you EU guys.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nanuq said:

@DP, it's nice that you feel that way about Mike on a bike. Although he's punctuation-challenged.... :whistling:

That's for sure.  :partytime:

DP if I go by what you folks in the UK and EU think of our choices well you guys loved Obama my lord he was a rock star over there when he was running the first time and in fact was a complete and utter failure so if you guys think Trump stinks I guess I'm better off. As far as offensive goes let's call a spade a spade no PC crap .

• Like 3

(Let the rant begin)

Unemployed rednecks/bigots/gun nuts did not drag Trump over the finish line,.... (mostly older) middle class people did. 

I think here in Europe we tend to associate ourselves a little bit more with the Democrats than with the Grand Old Party due to mostly common values. However on the other hand I do believe most of our American friends don`t care that much about Trumps foreign administation but more on his domestic approach and that might be the reason they voted for him in the first place. Joe Sixpack from Texas who works in the oil industry has seen his income decrease by almost 50%. I can imagine he`s disillusioned with traditional politics and decided to give the upper mandate to an alternative (a screaming guy with no background in high politics). The trend is as dangerous as it is clear but this is how democracy actually works. We as outsiders have to accept/respect the choice the American people has made. The world will not end and neither will the US.

Seems America was not ready to have the first female president after the first black president. Missed chance in my opinion. Just interesting to see how that first black president will switching seats with a former KKK-member. 

Good luck USA. I hope federalism offers you enlightenment.

2 minutes ago, Mike on a bike said:

That says nothing, innuendo.

That says everything because I would bet eveything they woud not have done the same 4 years nor 8 years ago.

`Great minds think alike.`

• Like 1

He's a bigoted, misogynistic, dumb[censored]! You vote for someone who continually lies and tries to deny it even though it's right there on video, thinks they can grope and force himself on women (I've been in some real rough 'locker rooms' and no one speaks like that unless he's 18) who thinks that to stop people buying guns at shows with little to no background checks, is stomping all over the constitution! The constitution was written a long time ago when you actually needed a gun to eat if nothing else, now it's so you can rob, kill and maim at will. And on and on and on.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Gentlemen,

I don't normally post on political threads, they have a tendency to become a clusterf**k of bad feeling and insult throwing. Personally I have disliked Trump for many years, but sadly Clinton is not an angel either. I am neither a Republican nor a Democrat, nor in fact an American. I have respect for both parties and for the system, but not for the candidates fielded this year. I came across this post and while I might not agree on the minutiae, the general drift seems a much better appraisal of the situation than the view that it is the end of civilisation as we know it or the beginning of the age of Aquarius. 

"I remember JFK's election, and his assassination. And I remember every presidential election since then, from Lyndon Johnson to Barack Obama. They include the reptilian Nixon, the front-guy Reagan, the WASP Bush1, the good ol' boy Clinton, the dimwit Bush2 and the talks-a-good-talk chancer Obama. Oh, and on the way, Jimmy Carter, the only one who seemed to have had some sort of moral compass even if it went into a tail-spin on occasions.
Every one of them imposed the US diktat on the world using whatever weapons and subterfuge they had to hand. Hilary Clinton was cool with that sort of 'diplomacy'. She was as bad as the worst of them. Libya proves that, and that is just one piece of evidence. Her relationship with Israel, whatever that entity's grotesque excesses, is another. Her personal relationship with the vile Madeleine Albright, who thought that the deaths of 500,000 Iraqi children was 'a price worth paying' for Bill Clinton's sanctions against Iraq, is another. And the list goes on, not least in her indifference to dreadful economic hardship for the many in the US brought about by Wall Street and the rest of the neoliberal gang of which she is part.
US. Light of the World. Exceptional. A City upon the Hill.
And so, it is Trump, an uncouth bastard and a champion chancer, a snake-oil salesman par excellence, who gets to swear on the bible. Educated liberals at home in the US or at home in Ireland and elsewhere, who couldn't give a [censored] about the physical, financial and emotional rust-belts that they have created in the austerity-heavy, concern-light, western world, weep into their cappuccinos with wails of 'how could they do this to our dreams?'.
Well, that's how. Sow, and reap. You could have had Bernie, but no. You bought into the 'First Woman' scenario, the same as you bought into the 'First Black' scenario. Obama failed, especially for Blacks. H Clinton is not representative of any woman I've come across in my long life, with the exception of her best friend Madeleine Albright and that other vile psychopath, Maggie Thatcher.
Don't panic. Take a deep breath. All of the US institutions are still in place, all of the political class and its functionaries, including the media, are still ticking over. The Military-Industrial Complex is in fine fettle. The corporations are in control. Trump will be on a leash. He will [censored] about with various things, including the Supreme Court, but he won't have it all his own way. And if necessary, if it gets to that, he may end up going the JFK route.
Hope and change. Remember?"

I purposely used a word at the start of this post. It is something we pride ourselves on hereabouts. So Gentlemen, it is time to congratulate those of our brothers who won, commiserate with our brothers who lost and remember that most if not all countries have survived a leader who was a less than pleasant human. Agree or disagree quietly and in a gentlemanly manner.

Now back to the real business, let's talk watches over by the champagne fountain.

• Like 2