When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Trump as President?

Tribal

Gents, I'm very gratified by how this discussion is unfolding.  There's been far too much rancor in America over this election, and far too many people have lost sight of what matters: humanity. 

It used to be said "I may not agree with your speech, but I'll fight to the death to defend your right to speak it".  Those words were spoken standing on the bedrock of brotherhood.  That brotherhood is what matters.

It's time to put away the vitriol, innuendo and pitchforks, and focus on what we have in common:

Who has the best Sub?  :Jumpy:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dieselpower said:

Well said Sogeha :clap2:

+1     You see DP we agree at least when parsed this way. :)

I am under no illusions on what I bought w/ my vote. Not being a progressive nor in favor of gun control or government control on sugar in your soda or salt on your french fries to name a few over the top ones I saw no common ground with you guys so this being RWG I let it be . Yes easy for me as in theory I got the candidate with those positions.

Let me postulate this if your positions were akin to mine and Sogeha's assessment is pretty much on the money (not going to get lost in the weeds on minor points) you would be happy with the outcome also. So let it play out what's done is done we could spend countess hours attacking /defending Trump and Clinton to no agreement and those were the choices.

I am glad to be part of this small community (eventhough this topic is not related to the main subject 'watches') where discussions can still be held with descent manners. After exploring various media yesterday and reading/hearing all sorts of reactions I literally wanted to move to Timbuktu for 4 years without electronic devices.

A hopefull first speech and good chat with American nationals like yourselves helps to put things in perspective.

Thanks demax, we pride ourselves on remembering our humanity before our differences. 

This day is call'd the feast of Crispian.
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when this day is nam'd,
And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say "To-morrow is Saint Crispian."
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,
And say "These wounds I had on Crispin's day."

Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember, with advantages,
What feats he did that day. Then shall our names,
Familiar in his mouth as household words—
Harry the King, Bedford and Exeter,
Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester—
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.

This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered-
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;

For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, dieselpower said:

One thing's for sure, you were "caught between a rock and a hard place". Now where have I heard that before?...

This was a vote against Hillary as much as for Trump the Dems were stupid, Joe Biden could have walked in no problem. I do not know about Sanders it would have stirred up a hornets nest as so far left but in truth the young vote might have put him in , they did not come out for Hillary in any numbers.

• Like 1

Looks like amazon CEO Jeff Bezos and Microsoft's Satya Nadella are walking it back, once openly hostile to Trump Bezos wanted to "shoot him to space" well they forgot about hugging trees and boys and girls sharing locker rooms depending on their sexual preference of the day and are thinking w/ their balance sheets. Mercantile capitalists .... well it seems we have a few more in the room. LOL

http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/10/13585614/bezos-congratulates-amazon-and-washington-post-hater-donald-trump

Pay backs a bitch baby and Trump don't forget, start squirming.

16 hours ago, Nanuq said:

giphy-3.gif

I'm tired of people (in particular those who hold the same political views as I do and in particular Ivy League grads) watering down the meaning of certain words in our language. There is a reason why courts and countries are arguing for years over whether certain horrible events can be called a genocide or not. 

Not everyone you don't like is Hitler either! So until someone uncovers a book that describes hierarchy and value of different races, written by Trump years ago while sitting in prison for trying to overthrow the government with a force of mercenaries, stop calling him (or anyone else for that matter) Hitler!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

https://www.greatagain.gov/

He's got a website up now, starting the process of "identifying and recruiting the finest men and women from across the country to serve in [his] administration".  He's looking for 4,000 people... "Any individual who wishes to serve the Administration should utilize this online application in order to participate."

He's also taking suggestions from We, the People for positive change.

Nice step in a positive direction.

• Like 1

We will see that regardless of our agreement with his political direction that DJT is a brilliant man. He's not the satanical figure that the liberals portray him to be.
His vision for the country may not make everyone happy, but we will
Soon realize that he's much more
Capable than he has been given credit for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

" Nice step in a positive direction. "

Bully well done.

You know Cardoza I had penned something akin much earlier in this thread but never posted: he beat all the other Republicans ( bitch slapped them all), then took on the Hillary machine working w/ our media as accomplice and pulled it out and won! Not capable, does not have good instincts: whether you like him, his positions or not he is formidable guy and I am more than happy to have him at the helm of our country you think Putin going to pull one over I think not. It sure helps that I agree with most of his positions but there is no deigning he is on his game big time.

• Like 1

Obviously this is a touchy subject and I have many good friends on both sides. I'm a fiscal conservative (when voting not when buying watches) so you can guess where my vote went. I spoke with one of my die hard liberal friends who posted a FB post much like the ones in here and much like the liberal media is pushing - Trump supporters are racist bigots. This type of name calling is exactly why the left lost the election. They are so out of touch with reality. I mean come on left, all of you have good friends who are on the right, are they really racist bigots? Of course not, but that's all the left has focussed on and all the media focussed on this entire campaign. News flash, that's why you lost. We are not racist bigots and you know it but throat was the campaign strategy of the RNC - instead of talking about how to make the country better we'll call them names. Didn't resonate with middle America. I mean the latino reporter on CNN almost had a mental breakdown when Trump said Bad Hombre. Seriously? Don't even get me started on Van Jones. My immediate family lives in FL, OH, NH, and WI. All voted Trump. My sister has a PhD in Physics from Dartmouth. I mean do you really think she's a redneck racist bigot? At the end of the day the DNC chose to focus on race and try and divide the country. That was their strategy and it backfired. Not because the country is racist but because they care about other things like lower taxes, better health care, secure borders and less regulation. I'm extremely socially liberal and would be happy to vote democrat if you ran someone worth voting for who didn't spend the entire campaign saying your a racist if you vote for the other guy. The Democratic Party, and particularly the liberal media think middle America is just a bunch of dumb racist rednecks. Nothing could be farther from the truth. My family along with 50 million other Americans, are neither racist nor stupid. Until the Democratic Party realizes that, they will continue to lose elections. I have absolutely no disdain for democrats. I just disagree with their view of America and Americas future. I don't believe the same could be said in the other direction based on what I've seen over the last 48 hrs.

• Like 4

I usually avoid political discussions on forums. Too much poor and disillusioned media out there influencing people's opinions/thoughts.

One thing that surprises me is my perception of the disdain it appears a lot of members from other countries have for the USA.
If I remember correctly we lost many American lives trying to protect your freedoms in the two "great" wars. Most people have lost sight of the fact that our constitution called for NO standing army. We had to recruit and tool up for both WWI and WWII to help mainly Europe from being ruled by what most would term as tyrannical powers. We did not have a standing army until the "cold" war started. Mainly to help in Europe.
A lot of American soldiers died to protect other countries freedoms as well as ours.
It seems that for some, the only time they are friendly with America is when they need our help.

I did not follow the election much as I gave up on our media/propaganda system a long time ago. I am generally conservative but not a "party" guy. More of a constitutionalist.

• Like 2

Droptopman ,  

Hear hear ! :notworthy:

In addition they are still living of off our money and blood w/ all there social programs we wish we had , would you like me to post the % of GDP spent on defense & amount in total dollars. ( looked them up yesterday) 

Jedi we are on the same page.....................;)

The Democratic Party, and particularly the liberal media think middle America is just a bunch of dumb racist rednecks.

Talk about unintended consequences, I think a lot of people gleefully grabbed onto the mantle of "Deplorable" during this election. It was a strange word, almost cartoonish, and it became a rallying cry for many.

Who would have seen that coming? Certainly not a bunch of dumb rednecks!

Talk about unintended consequences, I think a lot of people gleefully grabbed onto the mantle of "Deplorable" during this election. It was a strange word, almost cartoonish, and it became a rallying cry for many.

Who would have seen that coming? Certainly not a bunch of dumb rednecks!

I don't think people in middle America voted for Trump because they were called deplorable. I think they voted trump because that's all the Dems talked about. Every single thing was made into a race issue or a PC issue and middle America doesn't care about that stuff one way or the other. Participation trophies aren't given in the rust belt and people in that area of the country make money the old fashion way, they earrrrrrrrn it.

I mean take the CNN coverage after the third debate. They talked about the fact trump said Bad Hombre for 2 hrs. Why many liberals in CA were probably offended, people in the rest of the country were dumbfounded and confused at why it was even being discussed. This is my entire point, the liberal left has lost touch with what middle America cares about. And even more importantly, failed to talk about how they were going to make America better

I think a number of recent posters have hinted at something without hitting the nail on the head. In many countries, not just the USA the majority of people are sick of the way spin doctoring has come to dominate politics. Trump, whatever else has clearly said what he said without apology. People respond to straight talk. Then there is the racist card. I think again we feel we are no longer allowed to notice racial differences and in the end that is a huge game of Emporer's New Clothes. The liberals noticed the first black president and used it as a tool, so they are not exactly practicing what they preach. We notice the colour of our girlfriend's eyes and her hair, yet if we notice a skin colour we are racist? At work I can refer to the whiteboard, but can only refer to a chalk board, never a black board, so now black doesn't even exist as a colour? We know some of the most highly respected members of this board are not Caucasian. We call them are brothers and mean it, seeing racial characteristics is not a crime, but we are increasingly made to feel it is. The crime of racism is when one makes value judgements solely on the colour of a persons skin. The truth is most of us know and believe that and we are made increasingly frightened to say it. Race is nothing more than historic adaption to local conditions, we are one species, most of us are of mixed blood if we look back far enough, about three hundred years or so to a negro ancestry in my case. If you have red hair, you can be sure I will call you brick top or Duracell or something. Doesn't mean I think you should be sent to the gas chambers. So maybe MOAB is right, people voted "sick of bullsh*t" more than anything else. And maybe the political parties of the world will take notice of their electorate and change.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Usually I avoid political discussions even though I have a political opinion...in most cases these discussion lead to nowhere.

But you guys took it to another level...the first political discussion I ever saw that is right to the facts and without any anger... :clap2:

I as a German have a sligth different view than you guys over there in the US of A I guess...back in 1932 the people voted "sick of bullsh*t" and had the NSDAP as the largest party...you know how it ended.

This vote two days ago gives all the rightist parties in the world an immense push...here in Germany we have the AfD which is a rightist party and they went from 0 to actually 12% (that was before Trump won the vote!). Front National is about to take over France, PIS won in Poland, FPÖ has the most votes in Austria, SVP is the most powerful party in Switzerland, PVV is it in the Netherlands, Fidesz in Hungary, DF the second in Denmark, Lega Nord the third in Italy same as "Goldene Morgenröte" in Greece...and so on and so on...and that is only Europe! Our world is getting darker every day and even though Hillary is not an an Angel, not at all...her vote would have been less dangerous from my point of view...but maybe my point of view is wrong.

I hope DT is just a bad ass populist and all his speech was just about to win the vote....

Well said.  Let's take it a step further:

I think a lot of people got tired of being told what they can, and cannot say... being lectured to by the "enlightened" ones.  You can't say someone is "black", now they're African-American.  What's next, we can't call women "women"?  Are they now Breasted-American?  Who made those rules?  And why do we "have to follow them"?  So somebody doesn't get offended?  Show me in the Constitution where it says we have the right to not be offended.  That is not protected.  Speech is.

We Americans are an ornery lot, and tend to think for ourselves.  If someone tells me I "can't say that!" guess what I'm going to say from morning to night, just to piss them off?

Sure, it's crude to say something derogatory.  So let the idiot that says it feel the pain of his stupidity, rather than inventing some "rule" and forcing it on the rest of us.  Erecting sets of rules to enforce your preferred worldview does nothing but expose you as a control freak, and people won't grow and learn from that... they just get bitter.

In the end, enough people were fed up with "political correctness" that they voted for the man that refuses to be "politically correct".  Didn't the Left used to call that "speaking truth to power"?

A closing thought:  people are speculating there were a LOT of "closet" Trump supporters that didn't talk about it.  But they did vote.  Why was that?  Why didn't they talk about it?

Because they would be excoriated for the way they think. 

Think about that for a minute.  Since when did we let thought control creep into the common vernacular?  Since when did it become acceptable for people to be publicly ridiculed for their opinions?  Since when did "we, the people" give that level of control over our lives to someone else?

This turned out to be an election about personal choice, personal freedom and personal consequences.  If you're going to act like an ass, then you'll feel the sting and learn to not be an ass.  If you're going to risk doing great things, it's on you.  Hope you succeed.  But it's self regulation, not regulation imposed by others ... and that is what leads to maturity.

That is why the Gadsden flag was created.  DON'T TREAD ON ME.  It's the spirit of independence.

• Thanks 1

@docthor Your point of view is not wrong. In any discussion, political or otherwise, facts can be proved incorrect but the only point of view that is wrong is the attitude of "you are wrong and therefore have no right to live". I have just kept the minutes silence and remembered those who died in war, particularly the two world wars. This first one was essentially an argument between cousins that should have never have cost so many millions of young lives. The second one was a fight against fascism. It happened that facists gained power in Germany and I notice among my German friends an ingrained feeling that they need to constantly apologise for events that happened before they were born. Hitler was Austrian and of Jewish ancestry. Britain not only had a large fascist party, but had a king who openly supported such views. Fascism, racism, xenophobia and other ills were on the rise then just as they are now. The reason was the same, depression and austerity. All over the western world, the middle classes are being squeezed to the point that they are struggling to keep going, the working class are being sh@t on from a great height and the richest 0.5% have seen their wealth grow exponentially. The very people who caused this misery, are the only group to have benefited from it. Clinton is in bed with those people, the bankers. Clinton would have put a good PR spin on more job losses, more cuts and more bull. I don't really think anyone knows what Trump will do, other than it will be different to what was established practice in politics.

i think he is a vile man, as I think Clinton is a vile woman. Sadly that was the choice and one of them had to win. So now he is president elect and will be sworn in as president. I once went out of my way not to meet him. In the very unlikely event I do meet him in future, I would greet him with warmth and address him as Mr. President. Not because I like him anymore but because not to do so would be an insult to the office and to the American people.