When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fake Panerai self winding stopped working

anniqu

@anniqu welcome to the forum, you are definitely in the right place for advice on watch repair and connecting with people who have the skills to do it for you. It is true we generally call them replicas or reps, but come on guys, I'd didn't know we were so thin skinned, especially when dealing with a new guy. It's a nice watch whatever.

I know you are both Crew, so is there some implications I'm missing here?

9 hours ago, Sogeha said:

@anniqu welcome to the forum, you are definitely in the right place for advice on watch repair and connecting with people who have the skills to do it for you. It is true we generally call them replicas or reps, but come on guys, I'd didn't know we were so thin skinned, especially when dealing with a new guy. It's a nice watch whatever.

I know you are both Crew, so is there some implications I'm missing here?

None whatsoever! I guess that there are various levels in the replica/fake watch world.

There are plenty of gifted members here who would shy away from the word fake. Especially when it comes to their talents of working on these watches. 

To me 'fake' is a cheap, typically a Rolex sub. Often bought on a whim whilst on holiday for shits and giggles. Replicas on the other hand are often built with passion by people far more experienced in this field than myself. The end result is a spectacularly close to gen watch for a fraction of the gen's price. 

That is the reason I said replica - to perhaps educate and draw attention to the abilities of some of our watchsmiths. 

Fair enough G, I understand your point. Being totally pedantic I think the work of our most talented members could be called tool room copies. Some of your Sea Masters are approaching that quality.

Taking what I know from the car world, a fake is generally seen as a bit dismissive.

To me, a fake watch is one that isn't a functioning timepiece. It it keeps time, its a realwatch. If it says Panerai, Rolex, Omega, etc. but is not made by that factory, it isn't a fake, its a replica. It is meant to look like the real thing and work like the real thing, so it can't be fake. It may not be genuine, but it isn't fake...just a replica. 

I apologize, was a little short with the above post. We are glad to help you sir. First , where are you located? We have some very talented guys here who are well versed in getting our broken watches working again. We can give you more specific help depending on whether you are in the USA, UK,EU,etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1