When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What happen to the sale thread by Justin_T for the franken Daytona?

dvn

9 hours ago, sacsah1 said:

Come on guys, let's all be real here. Enough of the kumbaya.

The seller is a scammer, plain and simple. The watch that he was selling was not a rep, he used Gen pics and offered an amazing deal so people wouldn't think twice. The whole oh I didn't fill out the address? I think only morons would believe that. I have never seen some post service employee fill out paperwork for the customer bcz it's high liability and increases the chance of mistakes. Second, why wouldn't the sender double or triple check the address on such an expensive piece especially after all the criticism and scrutiny he got during the sale, knowing that he is being judged by the handling of this sale!
I hate trump but sometimes we do get too caught up in political correctness instead of calling out [censored] as is.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Tell it like it is mate! 

I think that on here, we try and see the good in all. However you're right: the guy is a scamming (C)see yoU Next Tuesday. 

I believe that Legend should be commended for going out on a limb and trying to get this resolved. He did have some risk, because while he has a credit card with strong anti-fraud protection, events could have unfolded in such a way as to cause him to lose his funds. Kudos to you my friend!

Some lessons should be learned from this debacle. First off, Paypal gift is really, really risky. I would never take a chance on PP gift unless it was someone I have known for a while as well as someone who is a participating member with a really strong sales history here and other forums. If the seller insists on PP gift, and has little or no history here or other forums, I would run not walk away from the deal. Even with regular PP, it is much better to link through a credit card. Then if the deal goes South, you have the resources of the CC company behind you. Believe me AMEX and Visa are much more capable of getting their funds back that you are. I would not use a debit card as a payment source unless I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that my bank would refund me in case of fraud. Some banks do, some don't.

As has been said here a million times , buy the seller first, then the watch. Fortunately for Legend, he had his ducks in a row before he finalized the sale. The other buyer may not be so fortunate.

Guys, let's don't make it easy for scammers. Do your due diligence before you buy, protect yourself in the event it's a scam or the deal isn't what it appears to be and last, if you are in a deal that even appears to be going sour, let the mod crew know. Sometimes early intervention by a moderator will make a big difference, and for sure it alerts us about the seller and puts everyone in a "watching you" mode with the seller. 

• Like 1

On 2016-12-31 at 9:15 PM, sacsah1 said:

Come on guys, let's all be real here. Enough of the kumbaya.

The seller is a scammer, plain and simple. The watch that he was selling was not a rep, he used Gen pics and offered an amazing deal so people wouldn't think twice. The whole oh I didn't fill out the address? I think only morons would believe that. I have never seen some post service employee fill out paperwork for the customer bcz it's high liability and increases the chance of mistakes. Second, why wouldn't the sender double or triple check the address on such an expensive piece especially after all the criticism and scrutiny he got during the sale, knowing that he is being judged by the handling of this sale!
I hate trump but sometimes we do get too caught up in political correctness instead of calling out [censored] as is.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

When several members, with good experience with modern 5/6-digit Rollies say that it's utterly impossible to sell at that price, and the general consensus remains "not guilty until someone actually gets scammed"... We have to be a bit more critical. 

Who in their right mind sells a watch for 40-50% as a package of initial parts costs. It didn't make any sense. 

If someone would sell a

Phong case 5513

Gen dial

Gen hands

Gen 15x0 movement

Gen crown/tube

Gen 93150

For 3000 USD everyone would say something's fishy, and there is an absurd surplus of 15x0 movements, as far as 4130, there are no cheap watches to steal the mvmt from. It's 2500 EUR from Rolex, if you can purchase a NOS replacement unit, which you can't,, it's much harder than just a restricted dial/hands. 

If dbane would say a 5512 case is fake, it's fake.

If sacsah1 says it's a fake it's a fake.

I may not be a Daytona expert, but helping a good friend build a nothing-except for-midcase-is-rep Franken sure has taught me a lot. 

What is the morale of the story? If someone says it's too good to be true, only the "I might win the lottery if I buy that ticket"-part of our frontal cortex (read actually midbrainl doesn't want to listen. And no logic will tell it otherwise. When it talks, ignore it. ;)

"Exactly... A 4130 is 2800 USD..."

Not bad at all...if you have a case and dial. 

Not too long ago a not running, no rust Zenith El Primero movement would not bring $250 because they are such a pain to work on and parts are n/a but they have probably gone up a lot thanks to Daytona projects.  I remember 20+ years ago when a friend was buffing the bracelet on a Zenith El Primero and it hung in the fluffy buffer wheel and blasted off across the room hitting up in the corner where the wall meets the ceiling.  It was no longer running.  Saw him a few weeks ago and asked the same question I always ask:  "You have any Zenith chronos for sale?"  Same answer every time:  "Just a dial."

Edit concerning post # 32: 

"if the parcel really contained a high value build, why has seller not put in effort to retrieve the parcel and have it returned to him in Australia? It's an overnight affair."

The answer lies within the question.   ;)   Many would still like to know what is in the package though.

Just an update if anyone is still curious about the case:
My credit card company called me yesterday and informed me that they have formally closed the case and that the investigation outcome has determined that seller has not carried out due diligence in ensuring the delivery of the watch to me. The credit card company has also noted the Paypal identity of the seller and put a red flag against any transactions with him done through PayPal funded by their credit cards of their company, and have advised Paypal to do the same.

It was more of a formal closure than any unexpected changes.

The issue is now completely settled on my end. For seller, I understand that the watch is still with DHL Singapore and this thought is persistently going through my mind: if the parcel really contained a high value build, why has seller not put in effort to retrieve the parcel and have it returned to him in Australia? It's an overnight affair.

I tread softly along the fine line separating raving insanity and lucid moments of ingenuity. The issue is I've no idea which is which mostly.

• 2 weeks later...

@mike on a bike did the guy who bought the TC from Justin get his watch eventually?

I tread softly along the fine line separating raving insanity and lucid moments of ingenuity. The issue is I've no idea which is which mostly.

No legend same wrong address scam pulled on you but like you used CC as I remember so should be covered.

Thinking about this I'm willing to bet that both parcels were empty and deliberately sent to the wrong address just to get the "delivered" status for showing to paypal, wrong address nonwothstanding.
Smart, but not smart enough.

He got the money, didn't he?
The CC company refunded our guys.

No ceejay.
In my case, I started a Paypal dispute which led to a negative balance in the account of the seller. My credit card company refunded me and liaised with Paypal to close the matter in my favor. The negative balance in the seller account remains as far as I know.