When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Time to Sell?

knovako2

Hi guys!

after wearing and enjoing my Franken PO I'm trying to decide what to do with it now. No matter how good it is, it is not an original Omega and this idea starts to bother me. What do you guys think keep it and continue to enjoy or sell and invest in Genuine PO?

Here is the link to an original thread. 

My suggestion: looks yours over very closely, then put it away and go look at a gen, just as closely. You might be surprised how hard it is to tell them apart.

Everyone has to decide how to interpret reps. It's a very personal decision. I'd never advise anyone to attempt to pass one off as "real". But there are lots of other reasons to own them... in my case I can enjoy something as a rep I would NEVER be able to enjoy as a gen in real life. It's "art" to me.

For a piece that's readily available .... the equation changes a little. Some use reps to stretch out the life of their gens, wearing the rep most of the time and its gen cousin in the safe on special occasions.

Others view it financially: a service for one of my rare gens will cost more than buying 4 nice reps that are 95% as accurate. Guess which ones take the bulk of my abuse?

It's a conundrum as old as the hills. What is an "original" anything? How different is a Tudor ETA movement from an O. Frei ETA movement? What makes it "original Tudor"?

Murky waters, my friend.

A PO isn't THAT expensive second hand. My advise would be to keep your franken and buy a gen second hand, wear it for a while, then wear your rep. After a few weeks sell one. My guess is that once the novelty of one being gen goes away, it's the gen that would be sold........ or maybe not! 

I had two gen POs in the past...both were sold after a few month. I just couldn't live with the fact that they couldn't do anything better than a good rep could do. The reps are pretty close and the frankens even closer...the only point for getting a gen would be to have the box and papers and that you know it's a gen. But there's no benefit while on the wrist...my point of view.

2 hours ago, kernow said:

A PO isn't THAT expensive second hand. My advise would be to keep your franken and buy a gen second hand, wear it for a while, then wear your rep. After a few weeks sell one. My guess is that once the novelty of one being gen goes away, it's the gen that would be sold........ or maybe not! 

Hmmmm I dont think so! Omega prices went up after 2008 to a very high price! New and Used!

Actually most Swiss Made Watches!

Most PO sell around 3,000 to 3,500 euros used with box and papers!

Now if you dont feel comfortable with a Rep no matter how good its is ,then dont jump on the rep hobby!

Save up for a gen!

Alll rep Omega are a big tell in the movement! If you know Omegas just by looking at the rep movement they shout rep!

Unless its a closed caseback,then you have to open the back to see the difference.

The older  Gen Seamasters with out the coaxial movement is something to look for in used watches for better price deal.

Actually of every average user there is no difference in the movement for me.

Yes the coaxial movement is probably the best automatic movement on can get these days  , specially the latest one called master chronometer, is a GRAND PRIX movement but unless you want go out and say hey i have a top of the line coax

They are very well made and they should be found in the 1,500 euro area. There is size is 41,5 mm though is that doest bother you.

But i definitely  recommend them ! I have one that i bought back in 2001 and is a remarkable watch for everyday wear.

I also has a titanium version which i sold and regret it so much!!

Omega Seamasters is the best watch to wear and use everyday for me,after having allot of gen watches ,keeping and selling some........Omega will be the best one if asked.

Even Higher priced Brands in the horology department for me do not come close if you put them in a comparison, in the all for one watch!

And also OMEGA service is simply the best is you decide to send it. Its almost two months waiting but they change almost everything on the watch, for 250 euros,

and send you back all the replaced parts!!

But if you had gens on the past and then you went and sold and grabbed reps and then you say you do not feel comfortable with either ,i dont  understand the point.

If you  dont like either gen or rep then search something that you will like after all.

Cheers!

Well I say dont go gen, and I'll try to explain why, I came to the reps world looking for a Mikrogirder tag heuher  lol , here, fallen in love with a Noob CrPO 42 mm orange markers black bezel rubber black with orange stiches.

It was my "grail" ( I was a student so i cant even afford the rep lol) waited literally for years for an m&m deal until i gave up and got the rep, long short story ended up buying the gen

when i bought the gen the market price for this ones was around 5000ish new, i  did see one yesterday in local stores for 2500, morals: this models dont keep their value in time as well as other models do, (check speedmasters prices evolution from 2005 to now.)

So for me this a reason for not to get a gen CrPO i kept the rep to wear and keep my gen flawless, when i started to see the value dropping, watch was sold

even the rep costed me 400 usd and now its 200ish.

I struggle with this constantly ................ now I could sell all my watches (reps and mid brand gens) and get the "big one"  gen . Well there is no big one I have not had a a rep of for the most part ( look at our raffles,  tons of them pass my door I get to try them all). Now none has really stuck rep or gen except for a Tissot quartz TI believe it or not that I got brandy new for 163 USDs ! So I do not sell off and get the gen..............at least not this week!

There are so many great PO reps out there today!   It would be one of the last models that would even tempt me to spend gen money for.    Sounds like the OP is fixated on knowing the piece on his wrist is a gen, so maybe it's just that this hobby is not a good fit for him.   I have better things to do with my cash...........

Nanuq, of course if I look at the Franken and then at a gen. i doubt I will find any difference, since most of the parts visible are genuine. It is the idea of passing rep/franken for a real thing. 

I do agree, however, that it is nice to wear and bump around a rep while Gen. Is sitting safely at home untill the weekend or special ocasion. 

Another think is that the only Gen. I would consider is new/unworn piece. Second hand is a no go. And what are the chances to find an unworn PlaNet Oceal 2500 which is discontinued for a couple of years? I guess che chances are pretty slim. 

Hard desision. 

Thank you for your imput guys!

The problem is when it comes to a high value franken. The gen is costly but you can always use it as the tool it is ment to be. You can bang it around and push it to the limit and after a few years just send it in for a service and it is as good as new again, at this point you can just flip it and grab another one that cought your eye. The franken on the other hand is more delicate. If you would use it as i described that im using my gens that franken watch would be more or less destroyed and unattractive in a potential sale and having the dings and dents buffed out and replacing the parts will be expensive and time consuming. That said a regular rep is a disposal item, use it and throw it away or fix it once it has served its purpose. A franken is a watch that you have to baby and every single hairline will brake your heart so the watch is better off sitting in the box with silkes smooth cushions keeping it safe from any harm. The gen is made to be used and once the gen fails you can restore it to its former glory.

My point is that if i want a watch that i can rely on and use as it is intended to be used i would go for the gen. If you dont care about the flaws and dont mind the asian movements then a stock rep is the way to go. A franken watch is just not really worth the hastle unless its a franken vintage watch that is supposed to be banged up.

I have a 'new' Seamaster chrono bought from a boutique about 4 years ago. I have probably worn it 6 times! Whilst I almost live in its rep siblings. To me, I want to keep the gen nice and fresh but reps are just a bit of fun - even my Ssteel built frankens get plenty of use and are never babied.