When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I just got a 1 WATT class 4 blue laser !

Accutronitis

Here is something else you can do, My Thor M II 1.33 watt Blue laser with a upgraded Optical Glass Lens & metal housing versus a spent Bic lighter, There is always a little bit of gas left when it's dead and not only does this laser burn a hole in the lighter but it lights the remaining gas left in the lighter ! It would have done it faster if I would have held the laser more still.....

1 hour ago, StormTooper4 said:

That's really cool. Pretty sure thats unique and giving some gadget envy.

Reminds me of an astronomy show I went to at Uluru 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSKwr2i4Chz8LXakNUJvz

Thanks, I've never seen anybody do that before, I might have been the first so next I'll have to try it on a full Bic lighter and get what happens on video ! lol 

Yeah, see the photo where it's shining in the sink full of water?  Right there are also chromed fittings and a misstep with the angle would have had it right back in your eyes.  I have more masters and doctorate physics courses in optics and lasers than I can shake a stick at, and I still get creeped out from the things that happen in the lab under controlled circumstances. 

You have exactly TWO eyes.  Treat them like they're precious.

(this also explains my stick-in-the-mud attitude about fake sunglasses)

10 hours ago, Nanuq said:

Yeah, see the photo where it's shining in the sink full of water?  Right there are also chromed fittings and a misstep with the angle would have had it right back in your eyes.  I have more masters and doctorate physics courses in optics and lasers than I can shake a stick at, and I still get creeped out from the things that happen in the lab under controlled circumstances. 

You have exactly TWO eyes.  Treat them like they're precious.

(this also explains my stick-in-the-mud attitude about fake sunglasses)

Actually he's shooting the laser across the sink and onto a rock that he's using as a "back stop", He has the laser going over the sink with water in it because he's expecting things to catch fire and he can just drop whatever catches fire into the sink...... 

2 hours ago, imajedi said:

Degree in physics and 8 years in the lasers and electro-optics group of a major aerospace company building laser weapons. Be careful, that thing is incredibly dangerous.

Hey that's just like my laser LOL

Noname.jpg

The thing that surprises me is that when my laser melts though the bic lighter it's actually powerful enough to ignite the remaining escaping gas but I've done it 3 times now and all 3 times it ignited the gas, Now if that doesn't show how dangerous less-collimated light in a very narrow wavelength of 445nm at 1.33 watts can be I don't know what else would besides a blind man but I'm hoping to avoid that.....  

Laser%20diode.jpg

Edited by Accutronitis

These 1 watt 445's are pretty long in the tooth these days, I was making my own pointers about 4-5 years back from these diodes harvested from Casio DLP projectors like this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF4HG6v29UY

24 of them 1 watt 445's in that baby ;)

These days, 3.5 watt is doable from a single diode. Hobbyists like to mess around and combine 2 diodes for ~7watts 

I gave up on pointers and went the whole hog and built my own red/green/blue scanning projector doing graphics and beam shows using Pangolin software.

Lasers still fascinate me :)