When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The best Rolex 6239 Albino

slay

The 6239 Albino is arguably one of the rarest Rolex watches that exist (I couldn't find pictures of more than 2 Gen examples). Not to be confused with the 6263 "Eric Clapton" Albino (which sports a ROC dial and a black plastic bezel), the 6239 has some magical elegance to it and I had to have one. Unfortunately all dials I have previously seen were a big no-no for me - the subdials were just too obviously flawed and disturbed the elegance and smooth sunburst pattern of the dial way too much in my opinion. 

This is the gen, for reference:

DpV1asA.jpg

A year or so ago, I decided to give it a shot at replicating this watch and had a dial + case custom made to my specifications. I was happy enough with the outcome, since it surpassed all other albino dials by a wide margin. The result is below. Please note that the smudge at the T SWISS T mark, which looks like damage to the dial, is actually a scratch on the crystal. 

The only thing I am still missing are Valjoux 72 hands with a black line through the center. They look very much like the Hands on the White-Faced Rolex 16520 (Zenith) Daytona. 16520 hands should almost fit, I may have to broach each hand by 0.1mm.

This is mine:

arFP1ZD.jpg

JP8Fwrr.jpg

ANsN1y7.jpg

2Okemkj.jpg

• Like 3

Gen 7205 Bracelet, Valjoux 72 Movement, Phong Case, Heuer Valjoux 72 Subdial Hands, DW Hour/Minute/Center Seconds Hands, Dung/Vietnam Custom Ordered Dial

9 minutes ago, Sogeha said:

I have long admired albino Daytonas, that is beautiful. Apart from having Daytona on the dial and no Oyster it looks very similar to the 6263 albino dial. Is that the case and could your source produce a 6263 dial please?

I think there's a big difference to the 6263 Albino. See below the 6263 Albino. Different Hands and most importantly Different Sub-dials. Compared to the 6239, the sub-dials on the 6263 albino much more recessed and of a different style. The 6239 sub-dials transition much more smoothly to the rest of the dial surface. On the 6263 albino there is almost a "step" between dial and sub-dial. 

I personally find the 6239 much more elegant and much more unique (compared to other Daytonas of that period). In my opinion: The 6239 is a work of art, the 6263 is a prototype. The screw-down pushers, the black bezel and the blue hands create too big of a distraction from the albino dial (while drawing too much attention to the watch itself). It's like wearing a Purple Shirt and a High School Graduation Ring to a fine italian blue/gray tailor made suit. 

h8Pyb0q.jpg

Thank you @slay. I see exactly what you mean now and accept your points about the blue hands and screw down pushers. Your watch is a beauty and like your other builds I wouldn't say no, but different folks, different strokes and I prefer Daytonas with a black bezel. Wouldn't do for us all to be the same anyway.

4 minutes ago, Sogeha said:

Thank you @slay. I see exactly what you mean now and accept your points about the blue hands and screw down pushers. Your watch is a beauty and like your other builds I wouldn't say no, but different folks, different strokes and I prefer Daytonas with a black bezel. Wouldn't do for us all to be the same anyway.

Oh no worries whatsoever, even my own taste on certain models, brands and also individual parts has changed significantly over time. For the majority of Daytona's I also prefer the black bezel over the steel bezel. Apart from the graceful Oyster Case itself, I actually think the black bezel is one of the prettiest individual parts of the vintage Daytonas (just not on my albino :P)

• Like 1

Gen 7205 Bracelet, Valjoux 72 Movement, Phong Case, Heuer Valjoux 72 Subdial Hands, DW Hour/Minute/Center Seconds Hands, Dung/Vietnam Custom Ordered Dial
I think there's a big difference to the 6263 Albino. See below the 6263 Albino. Different Hands and most importantly Different Sub-dials. Compared to the 6239, the sub-dials on the 6263 albino much more recessed and of a different style. The 6239 sub-dials transition much more smoothly to the rest of the dial surface. On the 6263 albino there is almost a "step" between dial and sub-dial. 
I personally find the 6239 much more elegant and much more unique (compared to other Daytonas of that period). In my opinion: The 6239 is a work of art, the 6263 is a prototype. The screw-down pushers, the black bezel and the blue hands create too big of a distraction from the albino dial (while drawing too much attention to the watch itself). It's like wearing a Purple Shirt and a High School Graduation Ring to a fine italian blue/gray tailor made suit. 

h8Pyb0q.jpg

Do you have dung custome dial contact?. I need to custom my please

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk