When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rotten luck

gt_lad

Ok so, after a previous lengthy post and a lot of very helpful guidance, my 42 PO now proudly wears a genuine tube and crown. This was done not only as an uograde, but also because of a suspect stem/crown fault, sadly only four months after pruchase. Upon its return to the watchsmith to have the movement re-installed, they encountered problems. We agreed to call it a day and so I took it to my first choice watch man (previously too busy to undertake the work), and he has told me the bolt for the set leaver is faulty. The so called Swiss ETA is a clone but I'm unsure exactly which one. Unless anyone can suggest different it seems just as well/economic to replace the movement rather than paying to strip and repair the existing one. Can anyone help with suggesting what I should go for please?  Am I right in thinking the Seagul ST2130 doesn't appear to be a bad bet? Or maybe a Miyota? Naturally it needs the black date wheel with white numerals and the correct font, any suggestions and guidance would be hugely appreciated. 

Thanks in advance, Mark.

I sympathise, you are having rotten luck. ST2130 is an ETA clone, a Miyota isn't. To the best f my knowledge parts can be got for the ETA clones, maybe an economical repair is possible.

People who call themselves watchsmiths vary from guys who replace batteries and straps to guys who can create a watch from scratch. I have no idea how good yours is, but maybe it might help to shop around a little.

15 hours ago, Sogeha said:

I sympathise, you are having rotten luck. ST2130 is an ETA clone, a Miyota isn't. To the best f my knowledge parts can be got for the ETA clones, maybe an economical repair is possible.

People who call themselves watchsmiths vary from guys who replace batteries and straps to guys who can create a watch from scratch. I have no idea how good yours is, but maybe it might help to shop around a little.

That's useful, I wasn't sure if parts were available. Certainly something to research however, the watchsmith now doing the job (a good one this time!) says the cost to strip the movement to repair it could week outweigh the cost to replace.

I'm not so bothered about the movements esthetic element so if I do have to replace a Miyota would be fine. It's more knowing which movements will fit using the existing hands and dial... If anyone can help?

A Miyota movement won't be a direct replacement and both the hands and dial will need work or replacement. The pinion holes are:

Miyota 100/152/17

ETA 90/150/26

while two hands could be broached to fit and the final one could be slightly squeezed to fit, the dial feet are different and you may have problems with the stem height. Especially given that you are paying for labour, I would advice against this route. Like for like replacement will be less hassle.

On 07/01/2017 at 5:50 PM, Sogeha said:

A Miyota movement won't be a direct replacement and both the hands and dial will need work or replacement. The pinion holes are:

Miyota 100/152/17

ETA 90/150/26

while two hands could be broached to fit and the final one could be slightly squeezed to fit, the dial feet are different and you may have problems with the stem height. Especially given that you are paying for labour, I would advice against this route. Like for like replacement will be less hassle.

I've had a look around and it appears cousins sell the TY2130.  I read an article that suggests it's the same as the ST2130? Assuming that's correct I agree in the fact it will be a simple swap, all being the black date wheel will swap easily enough? Once done it will also leave me with a movement to practice working on!