When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Explorer Dials

lumbee

"Have you looked at Yuki watch recently?"

+1

I would also go with a Yuki dial like alligoat said...because they are affordable high quality dials.  Keep in mind you will need a dial made for a 34mm case because a regular 1016 dial will be too big.  I put a few 34mm AK/1002 case projects together with 15xx movements and Yuki dials but if you use an Eta movement the dial feet will need to be removed.  The 1002 and 5500 were all steel so I used black dials with white letters/markers and one AK was a 5501 with 14k bezel/crown so I used a black dial with goldtone letters and white markers.  They all had badly refinished dials so the aftmkt dials were an improvement imho...Purists will always disagree.

Dials can be reduced in OD but it is tricky because the paint tends to crack or flake off around the edges, besides gathering dust from sanding/grinding.  I made an aluminum disc to mount 15xx rolex dials on in order to grind them down in a lathe but it is touchy.  Eta dials are not quite as bad because you can mount the dial on an old Eta main plate and use it for a mount...still not easy though (saw this tip on the forum).  Also saw where one member bored holes in an Eta main plate to allow the rolex dial feet to pass through but this would require precision work.

So...the easiest way out is probably a Yuki 5500 Explorer dial made for a rolex 15xx with the dial feet removed.

Thanks alligoat and automatico. I have a couple of Yuki dials I can try and also have 3 on two of my gen 5500s. I really like the look of the Yuki gilt in a SS 5500 case. I'll go with the dial feet removal for my 2824s.

Dave