When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Rolex Datejust I Built For Pennies On The Dollar !

Accutronitis

I bought ever part for this Rolex Datejust for pennies on the dollar by bidding on Gen Rolex parts on ebay, I kept bidding really low and more and more I started winning bids, I even got the Gen Rolex 3135 movement from a guy I PMed on ebay and he gave me a great deal on the NOS 3135 movement, I asked him what type of hairspring it had and he told me it was silver BUT when I got it low and behold it had a parachrom bleu hairspring !

100_5509.jpg
Rolex%203.jpg

4 hours ago, alligoat said:

Nice job! That case looks like a 116233 case

Good eye !

17 minutes ago, RickFlorida said:

Yeah, especially since the gold mid links are rubbing off.    So unless I'm mistaken, the bracelet is not gen.  But nice movement!

That's just a refection because I polished it instead of keeping the stock brushed look.....  

1 hour ago, RickFlorida said:

Oh, my mistake.   I should have remembered how hard it is to photograph shiny objects.  

Nice build!

Thanks, I wish I had a better camera and picture taking skills to go with it.....

It took quite awhile to finally win the bid on the right 18kt solid gold Datejust bezel for that newer style case and it was the last thing I needed to finish it, I had a gold color dial in it at first but it looked like so many other datejusts out there plus the gold on gold of the hands and dial made it sometimes hard for me see what time it was so I wanted a dial change which took almost a year before I found the right one I wanted at the price I was willing to pay......   

Edited by Accutronitis

I'm just using a simple Kodak digital 6.1 megapixel camera (no lens change with it) and your right about outdoors lighting, It's by far the best at mid day in the shade out of direct sunlight, at least with my camera.....   

This is me learning how to work on a Rolex 3135 movement....

100_3837_zps8c344a29.jpg

100_3841_zps32e4e1b6.jpg

Once I had the roller jewel for the rapid change date wheel fly off into no mans land and I tried to find one on ebay but everyone wanted a TON of money for one so I put on my more mag pair of reading glasses and got down on my hands and knees and with the strongest flash light I have searched every square inch of carpet were I was working on it until I found it many hours later, For quite a while I was thinking it was hopeless......... 

Edited by Accutronitis

I paid $800 dollars for the NOS 3135 movement, Rolex 3135 movements seem to sell for a fairly consistent amount of money on ebay and for what I've seen they almost never go for less than $1,000.00 dollars. 

I've had no problems fixing some clone movements for a few people and it really depends on what's wrong with the movement and can you source parts needed to fix them or can you find a suitable substitute parts.

I know v72 movements inside and out and how to adjust all the dif stop screws and every thing else that they need......

Some of the best money I ever spent was to get the best stereo microscope I could afford, A very good stereo microscope is worth ever penny ! and the next best money was for upgraded "super wide field" eye pieces !

100_3808_zps87d945e0.jpg

Edited by Accutronitis

• 2 weeks later...
On 23.1.2017 at 8:59 PM, Accutronitis said:

Once I had the roller jewel for the rapid change date wheel fly off into no mans land and I tried to find one on ebay but everyone wanted a TON of money for one so I put on my more mag pair of reading glasses and got down on my hands and knees and with the strongest flash light I have searched every square inch of carpet were I was working on it until I found it many hours later, For quite a while I was thinking it was hopeless......... 

LOL. I started servicing movements a few month ago. My wife is convinced that watchmaking is something mainly executed on all fours and on the floor.  

• Like 1

"Some of the best money I ever spent was to get the best stereo microscope I could afford, A very good stereo microscope is worth ever penny ! and the next best money was for upgraded "super wide field" eye pieces !"

I have a Japan made scope very similar to yours and it is a dark gray 1960s/1970s Bulova Accutron SM-1 model.  About 25 Years ago a local jeweler went from watches in general to quartz only and I bought everything they had pertaining to Accutrons and mechanical watches, including the scope.  I got about 50 Accutrons in the deal (most not running) but they are all gone now.

Here are pictures of a scope like mine:

http://www.relic-watches.com/watch-80257-Bulova-Accutron-Stereo-Microscope

https://new.liveauctioneers.com/item/7169574

• Like 1

• 3 months later...