When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Real or Rep?, All views welcomed Options

Thor

80-8542.jpg

A very nice Daytona . . . but don't the hands look a little too 'squared off' at the tips?

Hmmm??? I agree usually the hour hand is a more pointed. Its hard to tell . By looking at your picture it looks more squared.?? If its a rep.. Its a nice one by my opinion.

it's real

I say real, but with El Primero Daytonas, caution. There are El Primero reps with El Primero movements in them.

A Primero rep with Primero movement. That is the first Daytona I would be interested in. Original movement. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

If that's an "el primero" rep, I'm in. If the hands are wrong I'm sure they can be fixed w/ oem hands since the base movement would be the same.

Anyone know where you can find one of these?

Can anyone explain what is a Primero Daytona?

I always thought that the chronograph dials on the genuine daytona were slightly above center.

I like your name Valjoux :smile:

But I would rather have a Speedmaster rep than the watch you have pictured :happy:

g. :coolio:

My 'El Primero' Daytona project waiting for a heart (El Primero ca. 400):

80-8543.jpg

80-8544.jpg

80-8545.jpg

80-8546.jpg

One of these days I'll have this one done.

Nice watch Randy!

So many projects.

Yes! Too many projects going on at once! My head is spinning :wacko:

:laugh:

Well... I just picked up the camera, and blew the dust off of this one after pulling it form my watch box for some new pics of an empty shell...

:happy:

The term 'Primero' Daytona is used to describe the Daytona produced from 1988 until 2001 (ref 16520), which used the Zenith El Primero caliber 400 as the base for the Rolex 4030 chronograph movement. The beat was slowed from Zenith's trademark 36000bph to a slower 28,800bph, and was the last outsourced movement that Rolex used for the Daytona.

The newest Daytona (ref 116520) uses the inhouse 4130 movement. This model is characterized by the running seconds at 6:00, and as you mentioned, the subdials at 9:00 and 3:00 are slightly above axis.

I've gotta say that the El Primero is one of the very BEST movements out there. It is rugged, accurate as hell and wonderfully made. There is a reason as to why it is so revered.

I would not hesitate to own any El Primero-powered watch. Ubi's rep kit is so damn cool - I wish I had one (but that's a different story).

A bit off topic but, my favorite chrono movement is the Lemania 5100. Nothing beats it in my book. It is a true workhorse movement with a unique complication setup. My only gripe would be that the auto-winding mechanism is not so efficient. Keep the watch on a winder or wear it more than a few hours a day.

I'll take any Valjoux 23 or 72 series as good stuff, as well.

I agree. El Primero movement is very reliable, a true workhorse.

But my favourite chrono movement is the F. Piguet Calibre 185 (modified 1185 with Flyback function). It's a very delicate movement, but is a masterpiece itself. It's a movement good enough for famed companies like Blancpain, Vacheron Constantin, Audemars Piguet.

You guys are right about that Zenith primero movement being a workhorse and darn accurate too :wub: It's actually the best time keeping piece that I've owned, here's the picture showing my 16523 with 4030 El Primero :rolleyes:

80-8547.jpg

Very nice link!! :wub::wub:

Yes! Too many projects going on at once! My head is spinning :wacko:

:laugh:

Well... I just picked up the camera, and blew the dust off of this one after pulling it form my watch box for some new pics of an empty shell...

81-8537.jpg

81-8538.jpg

81-8539.jpg

81-8540.jpg

81-8541.jpg

:happy: