When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

hm... what's wrong with this 5513 dial ?...

jsph

thanks for those photos, jet -- is that your own watch, by the way?

2 questions:

- is the (T) supposed to be that low on the dial?

- what do you see about it that tells of a bad re-dial?

just trying to learn more about the 5513 and 5517. thanks again.

jsph

Hi, jsph:

I wish it were mine. :thumbsupsmileyanim: I believe this one sold at TZ for around 7K.

The dial print is of poor quality, for starters. The circle T is positioned too low and the Swiss-T<25 is "off" center. The X on Rolex is also to far too the right. The crown logo is also off. The Singer blank is about the only thing I see that is correct on this guy.

I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. :)

Cheers,

Jet

Edited by Jetsons

thanks, jet. did indeed like those photos. thanks! the 5513 and 5517 are gaining status as serious grail watches... ;)

hm... from what you're saying, this dial could just as well be an MBW replica dial. they use singer blanks, too, i think. other than that, a heck of a lot different between this dial and the original and/or genuine... (take your pick).

as for the hands, i think he's saying those are from a 5513... same as the dial, actually, though he says it could be 5513 or 5517. (don't know how you could think the former with the (T) there.)...

thanks again.

jsph

The 5513 is my favorite vintage Rollie followed by the 1665s. You're right about the 5513s moving up very rapidly in favor with collectors. From what I have seen, prices on these have easily escalated 50% in the past year. I saw a minty example listed for 3.3K recently. :o

I hope the folks at MBW manufacture a very accurate clone of the 5513. I'm not sure why they haven't but that would be a one killer watch. I would bet Maria would do a much better job with any of these dials than this supposedly "professional refinish". :D

You're right about the hands. I'm just not sure why he's offering them with this specific dial.

Jet

that's what i've heard about the 5513 -- people seem to be paying attention to it again after all this time, but i don't know why. for me, i've always been a big fan, but the one day an rwg photo by eunomians of his gen on a nato -- put me over the top. i'm not sure how these fashions come and go, otherwise i'd... well, who am i kidding, i could never afford a real 5513, even if it were around 2k.

as for mbw, you've hit the nail on the head. i've looked all around and asked some folks on the forums, and as far as i can tell there really isn't an mbw 5513. why the heck not?! it's beautiful, classic... i saw luckyyy post a military/3-6-9 dial version of the 5513, presumably mbw, fairly recently, but that was about it. if they came up with an mbw 5513, i would be all over that like white on rice. especially if they get the lume nice and creamy/ivory and not silly yellow/orange like some of the cheap vintage reps.

i was actually just about to start a thread on the last rwg that would double as a petition or a pre-order wish list -- "who wants an mbw 5513?!" -- so our dealers/manufacturers would know how much of a demand there really is. frankly, even if it weren't mbw quality but a decent swiss in the $200+ category, i'd bite. andrew's $100-something miyota versions are kindof fun, but don't quite hit the target on this one.

anyway, just my 5513 rant, i guess. thanks again for your help with this one. always wanting to learn more about these guys. take care,

jsph

thanks, nanuq.

what a shame. i mean, i'm definitely not in the market, but i was just looking around, and it's unpleasant to see this sort of thing. i'm nowhere -- nowhere -- near as sharp as you guys, but right off something felt wrong, if only the (T) being too low. what's extra weird is this person seems to have a very good reputation, and i think i'm reading this as being presented as genuine. hmpf...

do _you_ know, by the way, if there have ever been any good reps of the 5513, or if, as was suggested to me a while back, i could only get a similar mbw and do a bunch of mods, wit a new dial? if there aren't any (or any good) 5513s, or even half-decent swiss ones (good enough for me), that's one heck of an oversight in the rep community. or maybe i'm just "too close to this thing!"... ;)

thanks again -- and i like the new avatar! ;) take care,

jsph

man, that would be pretty wild... i'd be jumping right into the deep end with that one, though. wow... i wonder if i can find any threads/pics on those projects, on the old rwg or wherever...

by the way, you said there are some ok 5512s, but no excellent ones. i'm not even finding really ok ones. again, i think andrew's is definitely fun and so on, but you'd never confuse the two as being the same. are you thinking of some others that are currently just-ok 5512s, cuz i haven't seen them, i don't think... ?

jsph

mvb:

infuriating, isn't it! ;)

perhaps we can consider this a positive? generating more detailed discussions of certain omega and rolex models on this new rwg....

besides, we can't all be fearless, well-heeled gods of omega -- that's _your_ specialty. ;)

slow and steady,...

jsph

nanuq: thanks for those pics. i like palpatine's 5512, there. and the crystal on that last one is pretty neat -- though... is it quite the same profile as the original 5513, or was that an upcoming mod, i wonder? still, a bit funny to have an HEV on the side of a 5513!

once, eunomians wrote a bit about how he though you could go about making a 5513 out of another model mbw, but what a long laundry list (as it has to be) of parts and mods. starting out, i was still hoping there was a cheaper/faster way of getting a half-decent swiss (not mbw-quality) one, but that looks like it's not going to happen. hm...

thanks again for the photos and suggestions. take care,

jsph