When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

316l Vs. 440 Vs 904l Steel

jec97t

6 members have voted

1. 1. Best replica steel?

• 316L

OK-EXPERTS...I have included some good info so lets discuss which is the best...316L is a common rep material as is 440. Lets get in to why one vs. the other please...seem 440 is harder/heavier but 316L offers better resistance to corrosion which seems important in a daily beater especially if you are water bound...let me know what you think...

Stainless Steel 316L or called:

316L SCQ

3R60

Prodec 316L

Project 70 316L ®*

Project 7000 Stainless 316L ®*

Speed-E-Mac 316L

VLX316U

Principal Design Features

316L is often substituted for 316 stainless due to its superior weldability with no appreciable difference in price or properties. It combines good availability in all forms and size ranges with great strength and corrosion resistance.

Applications

Components used in marine environments and chemical equipment. Suitable for any application where 316 stainless is used and stronger welds are desirable.

VS.

Stainless Steel 440 A

Chemistry Data

There is no chemistry data available for this grade.

This is a high carbon martensitic stainless with moderate corrosion resistance good strength and the ability to obtain and keep excellent hardness (Rc 56) and wear resistance.

Applications

Ball bearings and races, gage blocks, molds and dies, cutlery, valve components, knives and measuring instruments.

VS.

Stainless Steel 904L

or...AL 904L Cronifer 1925 LC VLX904

904L is an austenitic stainless steel designed for moderate to high corrosion resistance. Its low carbon content improves cleanliness and weld strength.

Applications

Utility scrubber assemblies, acid and fertilizer production equipment.

Really thought this would stimulate the sophisticates more than it has...hmm.

OK-EXPERTS...I have included some good info so lets discuss which is the best...316L is a common rep material as is 440. Lets get in to why one vs. the other please...seem 440 is harder/heavier but 316L offers better resistance to corrosion which seems important in a daily beater especially if you are water bound...let me know what you think...

Stainless Steel 316L or called:

316L SCQ

3R60

Prodec 316L

Project 70 316L ®*

Project 7000 Stainless 316L ®*

Speed-E-Mac 316L

VLX316U

316L is often substituted for 316 stainless due to its superior weldability with no appreciable difference in price or properties. It combines good availability in all forms and size ranges with great strength and corrosion resistance.

Applications

Components used in marine environments and chemical equipment. Suitable for any application where 316 stainless is used and stronger welds are desirable.

VS.

Stainless Steel 440 A

Chemistry Data

There is no chemistry data available for this grade.

This is a high carbon martensitic stainless with moderate corrosion resistance good strength and the ability to obtain and keep excellent hardness (Rc 56) and wear resistance.

Applications

Ball bearings and races, gage blocks, molds and dies, cutlery, valve components, knives and measuring instruments.

VS.

Stainless Steel 904L

or...AL 904L Cronifer 1925 LC VLX904

904L is an austenitic stainless steel designed for moderate to high corrosion resistance. Its low carbon content improves cleanliness and weld strength.

Applications

Utility scrubber assemblies, acid and fertilizer production equipment.

I recall seeing discussion of this topic but here are the facts as I understand it:

440 is magnetic and also known as surgical steel. Magnet and watches don't mix. So a non starter. Don't know why some scam rep dealer advertide 440 as a better grade of steel, but is nonsense.

316 is more "stainless" than 440 and most stainless of the 300 series, also nonmagnetic - better choice than 440.

904 is more corrosion resistance to chlorides (as in salt water) than 316. This is in part due to twice the nickel content of 316 (23-28%), the element that causes people to be allergic to stainless.

I have an opportunity to test my rep Rolex GMT bracelet and it came out to be 304.

Maybe I'm out of the loop, but I can't think of any watchmaker that uses 440. When I hear 440, I think of knives! Anyone collect knives? I've got a few autos kicking around, but haven't been bitten by the knive bug yet.

My vote would go for 904 then 316. Only reason, is when you look at polished 904, as in Rolex, it is briliant when compared to anything else. just my 0.02.

440 (mostly 440c) is used in lots of low to medium end knives. generally even the very good stainless steels like hitachi ats-34 and 154cm and d2 (a 'near' stainless) and bg-42 have been superseded by the cpm (crucible particle materials) 'super steels'; s30v, s60v and s90v in higher quality knives.

afaik, rolex is the only maker to use 904 and that's mostly for the shine. omega, breitling, iwc use 316l for their ss sports watches.