When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Submariners, Real or Rep? Options

Thor

Are they real or are they reps? Enjoy!

87-8528.jpg

87-8529.jpg

87-8530.jpg

87-8531.jpg

:laugh:

Nanuq, please pm me so that we can arrange shipment of these watches so that I can answer your question after close personal inspection. The inspection process could take a very long time. :laugh:

No need to prove its authencity as long as it's from Nanug or Ubi :lolcina: Do you see any sale offer from our dealers on these vintage Rollie? :furious:

I want to say that the Triple Red is a rep. I don't even know what the other one is, though. So, I'll guess that one is a gen.

-Pete

@LAWatch

The other one is a 6536 "Bond" Submariner and you're right... that one's genuine.

They are both lovely! Thanks for sharing the pics.

Cheers from the heart of the cesspool known as Los Angeles :band:

@nanuq

How the hell do you get this look?? Is this real abuse or rep abuse? I'm good at vintage crown guard modding but let me know how to mod these because next week I will get a 007 from silix.

rep abuse, it can be clearly seen that the replica has been beaten hard.

People who treat their watches that way should not keep them anymore, so please send them to me. :closedeyes:

Look at the left side of the red sub in the second pic. Notice the long hair presumably from the wrist. it´s genuine.

Don´t miss the dead moth of the last picture. It´s between the rollies. :devil:

Nice PICS however! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

@Manuel

Nice eyes, picking out that fuzz on the watch. It's actually from the sweater I was wearing... I didn't see it until I posted the photos. :blushing:

Steely, take a close look at the first photo. Check out the texture on the dial and hands! I just wish I had a better camera to take closer shots.

Cheers!

Did you actually boil them???? You've got to be kidding..... that really looks like heat. Let me know pleeeeeeeaase.

@Steely

A very light, very coarse spray of tinted varnish provides the coarse aged "heated" look to the dial. It can also give a corroded look to the hands. Just a hint...

The case still needs some polishing on the lugs, and I'm thinking the bezel insert needs replaced and re-aged.

The case is, however, very thin and svelte in cross section, much like the 6536 I put in for comparison. It's a great starting point!

Nice job

Love that BOND

@nanuq

Hey, i'm from switzerland. What the heck is tinted varnish??

Bob,

Very nice work on that 'Triple Red'!

You've raised the bar on aging watches to a whole new level! Fantastic job!

:happy:

Just beautiful. These make me want a project sub so much more!

Who's rep shows the most potential to become a great rep? Watchmasters james bond seems to have the nicest case but even after using the crap outta the search funstion I can't find anyone who has bought one from him.

@Steely

Varnish is a protective coating you apply to wood, usually it forms a glossy surface. If you spray a very light layer then it won't completely cover the surface to which it's applied, and it will leave a pattern of spray that looks just like a vintage textured dial. It is petroleum based so you can add tint to make it darker. Varnishes come in every shade from clear to dark walnut / dark cherry to complement the wood you're tinting and protecting. Look closely at the hands here... the "corrosion" is simply a dark tinted overspray.

@Ubi

While I would like to take credit for doing this work, I cannot. I bought it like this. I spent a lot of time looking at how he did the ageing and I think I have it figured out. He did some neat work to the hands too, so the lume is missing in tiny areas. All in all, an excellent job!

Now to get those gold circles off the hour indices..............

It's a cliche but dings and dangs really add character. Some vintage Rollies and Omega Seamasters look absolutely fantastic with all wear and tear on them... just like these.

Now have you taken those pics with flash? That usually exaggerates the wear effect.

@By-Tor

No, I just set them on the bay window and try to hold the camera reaaaaaaal still and then shoot several. Then I pick the one with the least jiggle. I've tried taking them with flash and they look TERRIBLE!

Why remove the metal frames around the indices? I think the original had that as well. Look at the pic. Silixwatch has a good one. One flaw is 100m 220 feet. Otherwise I think it's quite accurate. But where to get that bezel.

Wonderful

@Steely

A couple of things... I spent over 10 years looking for THAT bezel for my Bond Sub. Finally my hints and nudges got some factory somewhere knocked loose and they turned out a very small number of them. I was lucky to get mine. My insert is vintage and it was EXPENSIVE. Dang.

The dial is gilt on my Bond, and on the Triple Red. Actually on my Bond it has gold and silver writing, I've never seen another original dial in that condition. The photo you posted looks gilded too. The "gold circles" you see in your photo are not metal, they are gilded circles painted onto the dial with lume inside and a small bit of black showing between the two. They do look sort of like the metal rings, but they're not.

I've been looking thru my stuff now for a more believable insert for the TRS. That one is just not right.

That bezel..... poor me. I thought a little bit of search and some hints of the vintage sub expert nanuq would do it. Guess I was wrong. So I have to live with silixwatch, so what, who will ever notice.

Ah poor Steely... I will have pity on you. :rolleyes:

Try here. This is a good starting point.