When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

suspect DRSD on Ebay

halley

Anyway - could be the watch is gen - see the movement shot - it's small, that makes me suspicious but the bracelet is still numbered on the last link - so it's the repped one...

Insert, Casing and crystal look good though...

Looks Frankenwatch to me.

It's a former white font 1665 converted to double red dial (using a reprinted dial). Lots of clues give it away...

I agree, not that I claim to be anywhere close to expert as you, obviously. I'd say you're getting a decent Genuine that's had a bit of red ink waved on the front. I very much doubt he'd sell something that couldn't be authenticated as a real Sub. Admittedly, it's no double-red, but you'd get over $20K for a real DRSD.

For someone who doesn't mind a redialed SD, this one could probably be had at a decent price. The only ones who (in my opinion) really care about a watch being all original are the investment collectors, and I don't think there is any worry about one of those guys placing a bid on the watch in question! :lol:

All in all, the condition of the watch looks pretty clean. If I were to purchase that watch, I'd want to revert it back to the white font dial. The only thing that really bugs me about this auction (and ones for watches of similar nature) is that the information about the dial having been swapped is not disclosed in the auction description, or any where in the content. I mean, it's not hard to figure out that this watch, with a 6.1M s/n was produced far beyond the issuing of any double red dials. With the incorrect case back and a few other small details, my suspision is further confirmed.

Well, that is a genuine 'flat' T-39, but not the one that's really 'correct' for the DRSD. The DRSD originally came with a T-39 Superdome like this:

29341-231.jpg

The Superdome, however, is commonly replaced with the 'flat' T-39 these days, as the Superdome is, and has been out of production for some time now.

BTW- Here is a side by side comparison of a genuine superdome and a genuine flat 39. The Superdome is a friends' watch I installed it on- The flat is my 1665 white font SD:

29341-232.jpg

Original post.