When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

best omega planet ocean

djtimodj

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a lot of 'almost, but not quite' PO's out there. If you were used to the quality of previous Omega reps, especially the Seamaster Pro's, then they will all disappoint to one degree or another (the abovementioned thread summarises the issues well).

Furthermore, as a 'hot' product, these imperfect reps are fetching a silly premium, even if they do have 'ETA' (provenance unknown) movements. Seems it is a matter of rushing a product to the market to satisfy demand.

Also, if you must have a 45mm rather than 42.5mm cased PO then you have no choice at the moment but to go for the Miyota-copy movement model. Plus side is that you can source it for less than half the cost of the ETA ones and it has probably the most accurate dial print of all of them currently. Downsides are the hour markers being too small and the caseback looks 'unfinished' (nothing a proper polishing wouldn't fix though). There are also some severe quality-control issues with certain suppliers (I will let you do your own research regarding that one!!)

My advice would be, if you've got to have one now, spend a proportion of your budget on the Asian 45mm model and enjoy wearing it for a while. In the meantime keep an eye on the forum for the bug-fixed ETA models to arrive. When they do and the initial rush-to-spend dies down you will pick one up for the change left in your budget after you bought the Asian, and you will have a weekday and weekend PO!

Believe me!!

• 3 weeks later...

Agree with your suggestion except for one part-

My advice would be, if you've got to have one now, spend a proportion of your budget on the Asian 45mm model and enjoy wearing it for a while. In the meantime keep an eye on the forum for the bug-fixed ETA models to arrive. When they do and the initial rush-to-spend dies down you will pick one up for the change left in your budget after you bought the Asian, and you will have a weekday and weekend PO!

There will never be a completely 'bug free/fixed' version :lol: The factories and manufacturers will fix a bunch of the flaws, but in the process they will manage to bung up some of the other characteristics or features that were perfectly fine on the prior iteration. So.... I still agree. Buy one of the Asian versions now, and then get one of the 'updated' versions later- Then use both of them to put together one very nice frankenstein hybrid :lol:

Josh's 'latest' has been around for a month. It is no better or worse than the other '4th gen' offerings. Major shortcoming of it is that the markers are the wrong shape.

IMO the 'best' Planet Ocean at the moment is still the 45mm Asian movement offering. It is currently the only 45mm rep PO and the movement beat frequency is the same as the Co-Axial movement of the genuine one (ETA 2824 beat frequency is too high!!)

Buy it with a rubber strap and you avoid one flaw, and save yourself $140 so you can afford to get the dial fixed and the crystal AR coated if you are that way inclined.

Otherwise, stay sitting tight for the promised other 45's to come along..

:unsure:

Edited by r11co

I got Andrew's fourth version Black PO Swiss. The only mods I'm thinking about doing is just replacing the hands - that's it, unless Ofrei would be willing to reduce the price for a gen dial ($200 right now).

Guest avitt
I got Andrew's fourth version Black PO Swiss. The only mods I'm thinking about doing is just replacing the hands - that's it, unless Ofrei would be willing to reduce the price for a gen dial ($200 right now).

Has anyone confirmed that a gen dial and/or hands would fit Andrew's 4G case? There seems to ba a lot of size variation between the versions. For instance, the dial and hands of TTK's 3G version are larger than Andrew's 4G....Is either of them correct?

Has anyone confirmed that a gen dial and/or hands would fit Andrew's 4G case? There seems to ba a lot of size variation between the versions. For instance, the dial and hands of TTK's 3G version are larger than Andrew's 4G....Is either of them correct?

I remember that one member took Andrew's version and installed a gen 007 dial. I remember reading that the POCaliber is based on the 28xx movement, so I wouldn't see why the gen hands wouldn't work on Andrew's......but then again, I'm no watch modder....only a rep collector :D

Tribal can source Omega dials... maybe he can make you a nice price?

PMed him inquiry about the PO dials - he wrote back stating that he does not have any at the present moment.

Contacted OFrei and they have the orange dial just under $200. Not worth it in my opinion.

Therefore, I may just go ahead and replace the hands and maybe the clasp as well.

As I keep saying, this is definitely worth the 'wait-and-see'. The 45mm Planet Ocean will become a hot item with the general public (not just the rep cognoscenti) later this year and into next, which will drive the rep makers to improve their product. The Seamaster Pro 300 got good for one reason and one reason alone - the association with James Bond - and when even a small percentage of the few million people who see the Planet Ocean on the big screen come November decide they want one.....

If us impatient lot keep jumping for the flawed 42's that are around at the moment then where's the incentive for the rep makers to improve them now?

Edited by r11co

Hi, I am looking into the Omega planet ocean. i have up to £200 GBP to spend was hoping to get pointed to some decent reps? also what sellers would you recomend on here and will the ship to they UK?? thanks.

Try King - I have bought several POs thus far from different dealers - hers are excellent.

Bill

Doesn't her POs miss the PLANET OCEAN on the clasp?

The first ones didn't have it, but the more recent ones did. That particular short coming meant nothing to me though - the first bracelets w/o Planet Ocean were replaced with Shark bands. I switch most bracelets to Shark, Stingray or Gator because I don't like the weight.

Bill

As I keep saying, this is definitely worth the 'wait-and-see'. The 45mm Planet Ocean will become a hot item with the general public (not just the rep cognoscenti) later this year and into next, which will drive the rep makers to improve their product. The Seamaster Pro 300 got good for one reason and one reason alone - the association with James Bond - and when even a small percentage of the few million people who see the Planet Ocean on the big screen come November decide they want one.....

If us impatient lot keep jumping for the flawed 42's that are around at the moment then where's the incentive for the rep makers to improve them now?

Excellent Point !...

By the way, is Bond wearing 42 or 45 ?

Yes, I hope the PO is perfected, I have an issue with the fit of the rubber strap.

After you put it on, there is a big gap between the strap ends and the watch case. Also, there are these weird spacer pins sticking out of the strap ends that rest against the side of the case, are clearly visible when you wear the watch, it looks pretty bad.

I'm not sure but, I think the genuine has these spacer pins and they are supposed to recede into a hole drilled into the side of the case, my 42mm ETA PO did not have these holes.

I could not wear the watch this way, I sold it to a friend who preferred the steel bracelet.

Shame, the watch looks so sharp on a black rubber strap.

That's correct.

I bought my 45mm from Andrew pre-fitted with the rubber strap, and the case does indeed have holes drilled in it for the metal studs. It also (strangely) has 2 holes on each lug for the spring bars (4 at 12, 4 at 6), so they fit in two positions.

I also have Andrew's 42mm 4th gen, and it has no such holes. I had intended to swap straps between the two.

Edited by bigpops