When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Improved IWC jones version?

gran

Correct name for the IWC Jones in French is PORTUGIESER F.A. JONES

I am seriously considering buying the IWC Jones replica

The front of the IWC Jones replica is as stunningly beautiful :wub: as it is accurate but the movement displayed on the back of the replica is very plain indeed. The Replica movement has no decorations what so ever.

This is a picture of the genuine movement

34782-39608.jpg

Has anyone heard that an improved version of this IWC will ever be made or is the one offered the ultimate version?

And would there even be a point in getting decorations on the movement used in the replica since ther is no way it can resemple the hand-made Jones 98290 calibre used in the genuine?

Input please

G. :)

Picture of the replica movement on trustys site:

34782-39609.jpg

no problem my friend

purchase the Jones replica and rebuild a better movement

look my unitas 6498-1 with cotes de geneve style and blue screws

or my special unitas 6497-1 ( i have same as 6498-1)

look on my ebay store: swiss_watch_tools_parts

look here:

http://stores.ebay.com/swiss-watch-tools-parts

for rwg friends i will give 30% discount. And you can sell your old standard 6498 movement in ebay, so you have not lost much money but a better and beautiful watch...

i am waiting for a dealer how can get the jones in europe (because customs problems in germany)... if i purchase the Jones i will rebuild a special unitas 6498-1 movement with retail price of 1100$... and than i will show you pics.

i am sure, that my project Jones will look better than genuine Jones. My special movement looks better than genuine jones movement. Genuine Jones movemnt looks good but is nothing special.

regards

The only thing i can think of is a potential waste of about five hours, but if anyone's ever been fooled, like me, by the printed-on-clear-plastic "engraving" on a movement this has a chance of working:

1) find a good high res pic of the movement

2) import into photoshop and resize to actual size of the 6498.

3) remove everything but the engraving and printing on the bridges

4)print onto clear adhesive vellum

5)stick onto rep bridges

6)have one of our mod artistes mill around the "printed" dial to duplicate the shape of the OEM bridges.

In the unlikely event that works, the super-anal could paint the jewel-sockets goldand even drill the winding gears and insert dummy screw heads w/ shaved off stems.

Thanks for the input tourbillon1801 :) you have brought this thread to another level.....and I can appreciate the arguments that your movements are beautiful in their own right. good point.

Genuine Jones movemnt looks good but is nothing special.

In a historical/horological perspective the Jones calibre (movement) is special indeed. See this link:

http://www.awco.org/European/IWC/IWC.htm

In the unlikely event that works, the super-anal could paint the jewel-sockets goldand even drill the winding gears and insert dummy screw heads w/ shaved off stems.

:lol::lol::lol:

Now that is crasy.....thanks for the input archibald :thumbsupsmileyanim:

dear Gunnar

is is your choose

use the standard movement in your Jones replica or rebuild a higher quality movement.

I like higher quality movement. And if my project Jones with new special movement is ready i will send you some pics... but do not jealous :whistling:

and this project is not expansive...

example: 268$ for IWC Jones from river, + 169$ for my higher quality movement, sell old standard movement in ebay for nearly 80-100$... total price of project Jones: 340-360$

look eddie lee want 329$ ONLY for the watch with bad standard movement.

I don´t understand your criticism.

And not forget my friend: genuine watch with genuine movement looks good, but cost 9.500$

you know the difference between 360$ and 9.500$????

@Gunnar

Simple solution: Buy the replica and keep it on your wrist. No hassle...no one see the back and you are happy :thumbsupsmileyanim:

You know as well as me that a crazy watch nut like me is not able to resist taking it of my wrist. I would be happier if the movement had at least the "cotes de geneve" ..but then tourbillon1801 has given us a very good solution to what can be done. Maybe the best is to change the movement with a nicer looking one.

Regards

Gunnar :)

Maybe the best is to change the movement with a nicer looking one.

You could also make friends with a watchmaking student and 'volunteer' your plain 6498 to be the student's work piece for his/her course ;) I've seen some incredible transformations of UT6497/8 movements, complete with redesigned bridges, decorations, skeletonizing, etc. by students...

Hi

thank you for your statements

sorry Gunnar, i have misunderstand you... my english is so poor :whistling:

i will purchase this watch and rebuild a better finish movement in, but i need a dealer in Europe how can get this watch. River makes me good price, but i am afraid for german customs controls. I has many problems in past with customs... all my watches are lost.

Homer and Precioustime can´t get the IWC Jones yet :thumbdown:

if anybody can help me to find a dealer in Europe, i will rebuild this watch as first with better movement and send pics to our forum, if your like this "project" IWC Jones you can start the same project. It isn´t expanisve project, because you can sell the old movement in ebay without problems (no iwc brand name).

i am sure, that my project Jones will look better than genuine Jones. My special movement looks better than genuine jones movement. Genuine Jones movemnt looks good but is nothing special.

regards

Your movement does look better than the IWC movement, which is pretty ugly if you ask me...but i think you'd sell more more, at least around here, if you used your skills to try to get the 6498 looking as close as possible to the IWC movement. What is beautiful to a rep collector is similarity, not "prettier but different." For the Jones, I'd cut the bridges as close as possible, do the engraving, paint the sockets, etc. Probably not cost effective to put dummy screws in the winding gears and make some dummy regulator to simulate the IWC, but I predict movements with "correctly" shaped and engraved bridges and engraving would sell out in fifteen minutes if priced right.

• 4 weeks later...
Your movement does look better than the IWC movement, which is pretty ugly if you ask me...but i think you'd sell more more, at least around here, if you used your skills to try to get the 6498 looking as close as possible to the IWC movement. What is beautiful to a rep collector is similarity, not "prettier but different." For the Jones, I'd cut the bridges as close as possible, do the engraving, paint the sockets, etc. Probably not cost effective to put dummy screws in the winding gears and make some dummy regulator to simulate the IWC, but I predict movements with "correctly" shaped and engraved bridges and engraving would sell out in fifteen minutes if priced right.

I agree. If tourbillion1801 could do that, we'd see this thing taken to a whole new level.

• 2 weeks later...
kinda off subject... but, can anyone get the Jones Case without the engraving on the side "117/3000"...

@poopy:

That's the only reason why I wasn't in yet. The mvt. doesn't matter but that lousy 117 comes with all watches, no difference.... Maybe we will see a change in the next future as on the PAM serial numbers.

We have Gran over here, worried, about taking the watch off and showing the bare movement... I would LOVE TO see the decorations and that is also what is killing me about this piece... what about the bigger part that will distinguish it AS FAKE!?!? 117/3000!!! They should have made these sequential... that way, you never know what number is actually arriving... and on the street, you dont run into someone who has the SAME 117/3000... the only problem with "number production copies"... but like Shultz said... it happened to the pams... so why not here too...

I think the crappy thing about this particular piece is... i really feel bad for the guy that has the ORIGINAL 117/3000... HA!

I am most interested in the case for its simple look and ability to house a 6497/6498... and especially cuz its NOT a Panerai!!! I just want this CASE for my own 'Poopypants Jones' project...

Anyone know where i might find an un-117'd case?

PP

Edited by poopypants

Yeah, I sympathize with you poopy pants. How embarrassing to run into all those other guys with the same serial number. There must be 100's in your area all taking them off to compare.

Why can't they make real ones for replica prices? solves the problem?

Guest avitt

My guess is that the population of people who know about the "117" will consist of a) a small percentage of genuine Jones owners (including the actual 117 owner), and "B) a larger percentage of people who frequent these boards.

I don't expect to run into any from the first group, as there will be only 4500 F.A. Jones sold (and my company stopped paying for 1st class tickets a while ago). If I do run into any of you, and I happen to be wearing the Jones, and you happen to notice the 117...then please just wink, and nod knowingly, and we'll all get along just fine...Problem solved.

Edited by avitt

... apart from that really, really long regulator needle.