When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Andrew's Latest Sub Offering. Improved CGs or not?

Thor

Hi all. I just noticed Andrew's latest Sub offerings. It seems to me that the CG's are looking better. My observations are based on the various threads on the topic. Anyone agree?

I've also inquired about the 'Asian 21J' movement. Andrew says it Miyota. The price point is very tempting.

They do look pretty good, but they are still not correct. For the price, I'd say go for it.

I was about to post a topic on this.

I am interested in the LV. Any thoughts on the date font? It is better than the previous version.

104-8512.jpg

104-8513.jpg

Swiss Made seems to be offline.

Laser Crown is too noticeable.

Any other issues?

I just can't seem to pull the trigger on the LV yet.

Wonder how much the ETA version is, Miyota price is almost too good to pass up.

D

Is this a TW or Chinese Sub? Anyone think that it's better than Eddie's best sub? If so, why?

I'm not an expert but I'm considering getting a sub and want to make sure that it's the best one available.

Also, I've got a Miyota movement in my Omega PO and I'm chuffed (pleased) with it! I sometimes think that it's better than the ETA in my PAM 111.

Rehaut is not deep enough to be a Taiwan.

Hence even tho the cyclops is 2.5X, the date mag appears weak.

(Doesn't fill the cyclops well).

However this is very nice for the price.

Extra money buys you small improvements.

The watch looks nice, but I wonder why the date mag is basically non existant? That's strange as it has been fixed on most models for a long time now...

Otherwise, even with the Miyota -which is an excellent movement - it's great value.

RG

Honestly I was blown away by the 'new' subs. The CGs were the biggest thing for me.. I can live with rehault that's a little off, but the CGs are as close as we'll probably get without modding. And like others have said, for the price, they're damn nice pieces! The date mag is kind of disappointing, but, it's not that bad I guess.. I don't know, I think if the date mag were better the decision to purchase one would be a no brainer.

I'll probably end up with one, I just can't decide whether to go for the LV or sick with the black.

As for the YM, I think cosmetically it's 99% there.. The ONLY thing that's keeping me from one of them is the 'swiss made.' I hate how it looks like all one word and doesn't have the second hash marks underneath it. I'm sure the weight is no where near the real deal, but it may just be a fact of life that the reps of these won't get anywhere near the weight of the gens, due to the platinum.

I'm curious to hear more people's thoughts on these. They're definitely tops on my list right now. The CGs are the selling point for me. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

It's very good.

Ziggy, the date mag is spot on. Modern Subs don't have as big magnification as the vintages. Well I have posted a shot of Andrew's watch and the genuine from the same angle. Draw your own conclusions from the pics. :wink:

I'm not 100% sure about the dial font and rehaut because of the picture quality but I've never seen so good crown guards on a unmodded rep. They're not perfect but very close. Datewheel and cyclops are also correctly positioned. Pearl, of course, looks wrong. Overall a good replica.

Genuine:

104-8514.jpg

Rep:

104-8515.jpg

The date mag doesn't look as good as the genuine as it doesn't fill the cyclops the same. I also think the CG's are a bit too pointed, although I have seen them like this on a genuine LV. Also you are right about the pearl not being too good and also the bezel fonts are too bold compared to the genuine. Considering the price though, not bad for the money.

Maybe one of these days someone will actually get a Sub Rep spot on.

We can only dream!!!!

I can never figure this date mag thing out, 2X, 2.5X etc...

I have to replace the crystal on my MBW LV sub and my MBW YM, one is damaged, and the other is off center...I bought blank crystals and separate cyclops to glue on...who knows what mag I will end up with...

It's still a great looking sub...

RG

Lol, me neither. If you look at the vintages at

http://catalog.antiquorum.com/catalog.html

you'll find out that there's actually LOTS of variation. Most vintage Subs have aftermarket crystals. I'm not sure if 2.5x is even correct with the modern ones. You just "see" it from the pics.

Here's another shot of a genuine:

104-8518.jpg

I think I would get the black one and drop a new insert in it and be done. I doubt you will have anyone question you on it. Every Rolex I see is different. The dial print, the date mag, the bezel pearl and the CGs all vary depending on when it was made.

I have been looking at many gens. Vintage and modern. I also noticed that date mags vary considerably from modern to modern and vintage to vintage. I spoke to my watchguy who specializes in rolexes and he said "most vintage have varied date mags and have had crystal replaced, so you can't tell if genuine or not by date mag". He also remarked that it is almost impossible for him to remember what mag should be on what model :sad: because of the variants.

.....and he works on them. :sad:

The CN cases need to be deeper to be covincing, IMO. You can mod the crap out of everything but the shallow dial, thin inner ring & weaker date mag remain.

The deep rehaut makes a huge difference in the look of the watch. He is a good shot of the gen's:

I posted a comparison pic of the LV. Seems to answer my questions on the Swiss Made alignment also.

D

http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...showtopic=31288

and just be advised that there are the new new 2006 models out now