When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Asian 21J movement

First of all, I would like to say that for my first purchase, I have decided to fork over the extra bucks for a 111h with a "better" movement. However, I have since fallen in love with the Patek reps with dials such as these.

http://perfect-clones.com/product_info.php...products_id=685

http://perfect-clones.com/product_info.php...products_id=733

EL and Trusty also have versions that seem similar to the 2nd one (the one with a more expensive movement). Now this brings me to my question. I was wondering if the 21J movement is reliable enough to let me wear the cheaper watch for a few years without trouble. If the difference between the reliability of the movements is night and day, I will certainly save up longer and get the swiss movement. However, I really dont mind the fliplid case, or the display case back, so I can't see much difference between the two besides the movement. Any comments would be appreciated.

Edited by mhemm

I'd like to get some info on this as well. The general consensus I try to understand is if a 75% cost difference between a 21J and a 2836 for example, is worth the quality difference? I mean, if I get a 21J and it lasts me 10 years I am all for it. Are there other reliability issues with the 21J?

//Cheers

Edited by pwygant

In my experience, the more expensive watches have a better fit & finish in addition to the "Better" movement. Notice I quoted better? If you have a movement serviced (Either one) it should last a long long time. I have some asian auto watches and the overall feel just isn't up to par with my Eta watches...

In many case, sadly yes. It used to be that an 'ETA' movement powered watch would come with a higher standard fit/finish/dimension of case. This made them IMO worth the premium. This is no longer a given, and the premium is often for the movement alone.

The 21J auto Asian Miyota copy movement is every bit as good quality and reliability wise as an ETA counterpart. The only downside is if you do ever damage one then you may struggle to get spares to repair it. Having said that, many watch movements (ETA design and others) are a disposable item these days...

All of my asian 21j watches are doing fine, except one. It's from the ABC Watch Co, China. Of course, it got wet early on and hasn't been up to par since then. But who cares! I've got 3 or 4 more that I can play with.

And a few Miyotas and quite a few ETA's. And heck, there's the knock-offs and inexpensive gens and....

If you only got $200 to spend, I'd definitely get two Asian 21j's, or three if possible! Or you could try Silix-prime and get one decent ETA. Of course, then you need to allocate another 2-300 dollars for your next purchase. Can't stop now!

My only complaint with the Asian 21J movements is I have had 2 or 3 in the past month and a half come DOA with some sort of issue, ie. running then stopping, date set issues, or just completely dead.

For me its ETA as far as the basic movements go. I'll still get the CN 6497 and I'm trying out a 7750b1 (which will end up in The Zigmeister's hands before its all over with).

My 2cents.

Jon