When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

"Classified" report on NATO straps

Timepiece

292348-4425.jpg292348-4426.jpg

Created: ../07/2007

Edited: 28/01/2008 added pic of 3117 with G10

FIRST: PLEASE DON'T PM OR E-MAIL ME TO ASK ME HELP TO FIND OR RECOMMEND A STRAP FOR YOU. I ONLY INVESTIGATED THE SUBJECT FOR MY OWN PURPOSES AND INTEREST! Don't hesitate to reply this thread and give suggestions. There are lots of knowledgeable people in the forums who can (and want to) help.

I am not an expert on the matter and have no connections to any of the dealers that may appear in the watermarks of the pictures I used.

None of the pictures are made by me, since at the time of writing this topic I was searching for a suitable "G10" for my RWG "Standard issue" Submariner.

I gathered all information below on the net.

Thanks to By-Tor for my (blatant) copy of his excellent disclaimer

Edited by Timepiece

Thanks everybody for the compliments and additional pics and info!!! :wub:

This gets me into gear in posting other write-ups.

Next will be items on sailing watches and rally/race watches.

@eunomians: I added another of your pics from an earlier NATO post and "picasa'ed" them a little to my taste (or screen ?!)

Huh....only 74 post ..and suddenly you want to come on here telling everybody the score about Nato andd G10 straps..............

thank you for this very informative post.......absssssssolutely excellent research and great reading........ :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Edited by TTK

One small point, i am not sure where you got the info from but All G10 straps issued to the forces in the last 20 years have been 18mm because that is the lug size of the issue CWC watch. The only 20mm straps that may have been issued are to RN and RM divers but a long time ago.

One small point, i am not sure where you got the info from but All G10 straps issued to the forces in the last 20 years have been 18mm because that is the lug size of the issue CWC watch. The only 20mm straps that may have been issued are to RN and RM divers but a long time ago.

Thanks!! I learn a little everyday :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I edited some CWC issue watches pics in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After writing the report I confidently went shopping for a nice G10, ... only to find Timefactors closed for summer holidays... <_<

But this last week I ordered and received my black G10 with brushed SS metal. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I put it on my Chopard Mille Miglia and I think it looks great. The black of the dial is more intense on the black nylon as compared to the greyish rubber tire pattern strap. It will do nicely for leisure time.

IMG_4055.jpg

IMG_4051.jpg

IMG_4054.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, sorry to revive an old post, but a question:

I bought this NATO "Zulu" G10 strap for my 24mm PAMs -- 2 rings.

zulug102ringun0.jpg

But I noticed that Predsfan has this one, with 4 rings.

nato4ringml0.jpg

Which is better, looks better, or is authentically a "G10" strap? Or can they all be called Zulu, NATO, or G10 straps, it just depends on design?

EDIT: Please note that of course, I read Timepiece's historical redaction, and By-Tor's followup quoted by TP. Also, I learnt how to fit these straps, with 3 rings, in this handy guide by Puggy. (Just in case any newbies are around reading this for the first time). What I mean is, on Fleabay, there seems to be no one term for ONE specific kind -- but are all used to describe all versions.

I planned to wear this with my PAM 076, the "maiale" engraved watch, or the PAM Lion Purdey.

I think I prefer the one with 4 rings, so I'm off to order another on Fleecebay. :(