When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Forum...

A few Questions:

1. What is the key equipment, based on a tight budget, for someone to purchase if they want to make some decent closeup shots?

2. What are some good links to review for moving from automatic picture taking (just puch the one button) to Aperture Preferred camera settings?

3. How do you take a picture that is 8 meg in size (in the camera) and reduce it to 300k (for posting on the web) without degrading the picture too much?

Usil

A few Questions:

1. What is the key equipment, based on a tight budget, for someone to purchase if they want to make some decent closeup shots?

2. What are some good links to review for moving from automatic picture taking (just puch the one button) to Aperture Preferred camera settings?

3. How do you take a picture that is 8 meg in size (in the camera) and reduce it to 300k (for posting on the web) without degrading the picture too much?

Usil

Leading questions if ever I've seen them. :whistling:

I'll write a proper reply when I have time, but the basic short answers are ...

1: You'll need a camera with a good lens. If you're on a low budget, don't consider an SLR yet. A camera with a Macro setting is hard to avoid, but you'll most likely not need to use Macro settings, even for photographing watches, surprisingly. A light tent (search the forum for several light-tent how-tos for more detail) or some control over your lighting is essential. Good lighting on an average camera is better than average lighting on a good camera. Oh, and a tripod, you'll need one of those.

2: I don't have any. How about you, Usil? Got any good links? :D

3: One word (for Windows users): Picasa. Read this link for more info: How To Post Photos Of Your Watches Here

Oh, and just because I've got the key to this forum doesn't mean you can't all pile in with tips, hints and general photo stuff. We may just be a watch forum, but we all love pictures of watches - Have a go! We're here to help.

Tripod: absolutely - positively - a must have for watch photos. Taking pictures close up without bright light or just window light, like me, means slow shutter speeds and if the camera is not on a tripod it is impossible to get a good shot.

A few links to spend some time on:

Tech courner - Steve's Digicams

Lots of camera reviews

Understanding Series

A Photo Forum

Dedicated to Photoshop Enthusiasts

How to get Great colors

How to do anything Photographic

A way to increase depth of field

Increasing dynamic range of photos

Useful photo links

Usil

• 1 month later...
A few Questions:

Usil

Leading questions if ever I've seen them. :whistling:

I'll write a proper reply when I have time, but the basic short answers are ...

1: You'll need a camera with a good lens. If you're on a low budget, don't consider an SLR yet. A camera with a Macro setting is hard to avoid, but you'll most likely not need to use Macro settings, even for photographing watches, surprisingly. A light tent (search the forum for several light-tent how-tos for more detail) or some control over your lighting is essential. Good lighting on an average camera is better than average lighting on a good camera. Oh, and a tripod, you'll need one of those.

2: I don't have any. How about you, Usil? Got any good links? :D

3: One word (for Windows users): Picasa. Read this link for more info: How To Post Photos Of Your Watches Here

Oh, and just because I've got the key to this forum doesn't mean you can't all pile in with tips, hints and general photo stuff. We may just be a watch forum, but we all love pictures of watches - Have a go! We're here to help.

I've been a amateur photographer for 20yrs... or so.

Prosumer digital cameras are good for starting with, a lot cheaper than DSLR, my most recent lense cost me