When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

EL's daytona vs real 116520

torresp

Past days I bought the best wg daytona from EL just to check the similarities and differences between the rep case and the real and to feel how about a black dial daytona. These are my thought:

45955-37147.jpg

EL's daytona is very well made, but the case is thicker than real to accomodate the 7750 movement but in the leather models is less easy to spot due the special lugs they have.

45955-37148.jpg

45955-37149.jpg

The bezel on the real is tinner, just like the case and this is one of the two noticeable faults that a WIS could detect on the watch.

45955-37150.jpg

45955-37151.jpg

45955-37152.jpg

45955-37153.jpg

The dial is superb comparef with the real, even the red "daytona" printing. Check the coronet located at 12:00, is very very close to the real thing and correct in dimensions and location.

45955-37154.jpg

45955-37155.jpg

45955-37156.jpg

45955-37157.jpg

The second flaw is the dimension of the pushers, seems smaller than real, so even if you unscrew sligtly the pushers they are so far from the originals.

45955-37158.jpg

45955-37159.jpg

45955-37160.jpg

45955-37161.jpg

Crystal is very well made, I couldnt see the laser etching (nor in my daytona) so there are no problem with it.

Overall impressions are very positive, a good watch from an excellent dealer and very close to the original, I think you could pass a visit to an authotized dealer (maybe I'll try next week) before I sell it, thinking to buy a fiddy so I'm open for trades ;)

Forgot to mention that the watch is running like a champ with no problems with the chronos.

Guest Sql_pl

Great comparison! Thanks!

Wish you could do the same comparison with a white dialed rep though as I already have a black one and I am now thinking about getting a white one.

Plus next week I am going to finally put my name on a list for the real deal, maybe I will get it fast here in Poland... hope so.

Cheers!

Great comparison! I have both versions from Eddie Lee(black and white) and I love them, but have always been concerned about being "called out". When it's Rolex time, I usually wear my genuine 2 Tone blue face sub, and my best PAMS get plenty of wrist time...

I had a question on the stopwatch pushers...and I may sound like a newbie...but on the pusher screws, are they like the genuine? when they're screwed all the way down, i can start the chrono, but i can when they're open...is this like the genuine??

thanks in advance :victory:

@sql_pl: :) resets OK, it's the angle of the watch when I'd take the picture (camera over the watch).

@promotersf: with pushers screws in both watches you couldn't start/stop the chrono, pushers only works when they're unscreweds.

Great review, was working on something similiar but I keep forgetting my camera so all the pictures ended up pretty crappy. I guess now you posted yours I dont really need to bother :)

Which gen version one are you going for Sql_pl ? Black face ?

post-157-1147644973_thumb.jpg

Guest Sql_pl

I can't imagine waiting for a watch for like 5 years.. but I keep on reading that these Daytonas show up much earlier than it is said they do so I decided to give it a try.

After all with this watch you can't loose - if I will be able to get it at a retail I can wear it and if I feel I don't like it I can sell it with a profit.

We will see.

Cheers!

Excellent review Toni! I agree- Overall a very nice watch, but a little too thick on the case and bezel. The bezel is especially noticable since it has more of an angled profile to it. But, regardless, a very nice watch for the money! I remember a little more than a year ago such a Daytona with accurately spaced subdials and seconds at 6:00 was just a dream...

Impossible is nothing! :lol:

TT Daytona's are a dime a dozen it seems everywhere. Royal de Versailles in Toronto had 8 of them a few months ago, La Difference a few doors over had 4 of them, and Chateau D'Ivoire in Montreal had 6 of them a few months ago as well. Also available for quite a good discount, around 20%.

SS Subs and SDs are also quite easy to find here, every AD in Toronto and Montreal has at least one of each, and have the occasional LV Sub, and they offer anywhere from 15-25% discount depending on cash/credit card transaction, except on the LV which is at full list.

And the best thing about these SS Daytonas is that you can wear it until you get bored, and sell it for a profit, I wish that was the case with all watches. Only problem is actually finding a dealer that will put you on the list.

Plus next week I am going to finally put my name on a list for the real deal, maybe I will get it fast here in Poland... hope so.

Cheers!

Good luck on getting your reall Daytona. Local AD here says its 8 years but my name could be moved up if I bought more watches.... :angry:

I think I will have to look into ELs Daytona in the meantime.

Guest Sql_pl

OK guys I am on the list now.

The salesguy seems to be trained by Rolex as he refused to inform me about how often they get a SS Daytona etc etc.

Good thing is at the end of the conversation when I kept on asking about estimated delivery time he told me it probably won't be in a month time and it can even be as long as one year...

I guess one year would still be cool!

We will see!

Cheers!

Excellent review, Toni, and thank you very much.

So you bought the Daytona with leather strap recently, Eddie Lee has this?

Thanks guys for your kind words. Just an update:

Trying to answer Palpatine's question about the version of the movement I just open the case and found inside the newest 7750 asian movement (according to The Zigmeister's review) so I think this watch must be reliable but found inside one fault: the ring used to seal the backcase against the case is bigger than correct, I think makers are using the "standard" seal for submariner in those daytonas so when you screw the backcase the ring could be cutted (mine was practically cutted) and some piece of rubber could felt off inside the movement. Maybe this fault is the reason of some malfunctions in those models?

Cheers

Toni

47882-36780.jpg

47882-36781.jpg

47882-36782.jpg

• 2 months later...

Great review,

a daytona is definitly on my wishlist

now getting the $$$ to pay it with....