When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Newbie's guide to picking a dealer

Drizznay

Let me first say that I did not do this, I brought this over from the old RWG and it was originated by sssurfer. It has been one of my links and I don't want any of my links here going back to the old RWG. Mods I hope it's OK that I've done this and I hope sssurfer doesn't mind either!

I'm not sure I can post this . I think it could be useful for a newbie as I am, but on the other side I'm also concerned about several issues . Oh, ok, at worst it will get deleted. As always, with apologies for my bad English too.

Picking a dealer - my own newbie guide

1. Don't ask the members, try to make it yourself. Members don't like that anyone (authorities included) may look at RWG as an advertising tool.

2. Check the Dealer Review forum by clicking here

and the Photo Gallery forum

by clicking here

Dealer Review is quite self-explanatory.

Photo Gallery is an interesting place as it is where members post pictures of their watches, sometimes mentioning where they got them from.

3. Take notice about the dealers' names for satisfied members. Usually they are always the same less-than-ten names (of the dealers I mean, not of the satisfied members ).

Most dealers are RWG members as well, but in the posts they are often mentioned with their 'real' names rather than with their RWG nicknames (actually, members often refer each other by real name rather than by nickname).

Instead, to contact any member you need to know his/her nickname (RWG name) rather than his/her real name.

To understand the difference, here are some examples of real names and their corresponding nicknames:

Joshua -- Jos Nana

Eddie Lee -- eddielee11

Andrew -- trustywatchguy

Jay -- silixwatch

Neil -- TTK

Sometimes such a cross-reference is not possible and you get just either a name (e.g. Paul, Sean) or a nick (e.g. king, river).

4. To go from a 'real' name to its corresponding nickname (as well as to acquire any other informations about a name you got) you have to perform a search.

How to perform a search.

You may find the 'search' button near the top-right corner. Click it and you will get the search page. In that page:

- Locate the 'Search by Keywords' box on the left. Type in there your keyword(s) (e.g., the 'real' name you got from step 3).

- In the 'Search posts from...' box (just a little bottom-right from the page center) select 'Any date'.

- Leave any other options untouched.

- Click on the 'Perform the search' button near the bottom.

You'll obtain a list of the posts where your keywords appear. Check those posts and probably you will be able to know the nick you are looking for, or other useful informations.

5. Once you know a member's nick (or part of it at least) you may use the 'Members' button (in the top-right corner, near the 'search' button). Click it and you will go in the members' list page. In that page:

- Near the bottom center, locate the box stating "Search All Available" and select the 'Name contains' option.

- In the text box at right side of the former, type the nick (or part of it) you got.

- Click on the 'Go!' button.

With a little luck, you will get a single reference to a member, or a short list of references. You may now click on any reference to get several informations about that member, including links to contact him/her by email or PM, and sometimes links to his/her website, or to a collection of pictures of his/her watches.

Thanks again sssurfer for a great great post! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

No problem at all, drizznay. Rather, I am flattered from your appreciation.

Just, re-reading it after all these months spent on English language, I now realize that 'picking' a dealer is mostly used in order to say 'selecting' a dealer, rather than 'finding' a dealer...

You are fully entitled to edit, if you like. :D