When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to take good photos of my watches? :)

I'm lurking on gen. forums and seeing their photos are extemely good comparing with our photos... Much professional and perfect lighting etc, Easily may be published on maganizes... (but on rep forums; except for a few guys, the photos look very amateurish, including my photos too)

Are their cameras better than our cameras too? :)

Or are they better photographers than us?

Or what else? :)

And... What is the criteria about taking good photos?

I've got an adequate camera with 3.2 megapixels... Whatever I tried (the white box, external light etc) I CAN'T take perfect photos like the ones I see on gen. watch forums taken by gen watch forum members...

I just think this is because they use very expensive cameras... I can't think of anything else...

So anyway, which speciality of the camera is the most important part for photo taking? Megapixels? Or special lenses? or what else?

If I use a 10megapixel camera, will my photos be better? Or is there any other criteria? I'm looking to get a new camera and taking watch photos will be one of the major things I'll do with my camera...

Your opinions please. :)

I asked the same question a while ago, and everyone sent me to Pugwash's tutorial... It's a really good place to start...

Part 1 - http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=825

Part 2 - http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=826

Part 3 - http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=3994

How to post them - http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=8844

I'm lurking on gen. forums and seeing their photos are extemely good comparing with our photos... Much professional and perfect lighting etc, Easily may be published on maganizes... (but on rep forums; except for a few guys, the photos look very amateurish, including my photos too)

Wow, seriously? No offence, Deepsea, but the ones I've seen on TZ, Risti, and the like DO NOT compare to the ones we have on the rep forums.

By-Tor, Pugwash, Jiro -- these are living legends of the photographic rep world. There are many many others who do a fantastic job, including two collectors like TWP, as one example.

What the rest of us lack in technical know-how and professional cameras, we make up with enthusiasm and inventiveness. Look at that horse farm shot of the PAM 005 by UB7 in the Wrist-Check today! :tu:

Your opinions please. :)

Where to start ...

The camera isn't anywhere near as important as you think. As long as it has a few settings (aperture being important) and having a good up-close range (but not necessarily macro) then any camera will do. Composition, lighting and post-processing are much more important than the kind (or cost) of camera used.

Whose photos here do you like? There are a few different styles and picking one you like can help you chose what aspect to learn first.

Wow, seriously? No offence, Deepsea, but the ones I've seen on TZ, Risti, and the like DO NOT compare to the ones we have on the rep forums.

There are some damned good photos out there in the gen world, but those guys are pros who can sell their pics. You won't find pros selling rep pics, so less of them are drawn to our seedy underbelly. :)

Whose photos here do you like? There are a few different styles and picking one you like can help you chose what aspect to learn first.

Thank you Pugwash.

Which one I like?

Uhmm.. I'd love to take catalog-like photos which shows watch completely...

For ex. on Paneristi, in reference section, can you check 127 fiddy photos? First 2 photos... Those are perfect examples that I'd love to do :)

or another quick example. From the other topic on this area, wrist check... a photo of maximillian. IWC Inge.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o227/ma...mn/PA060666.jpg

Nothing to do with better cameras....it's simply to do with thinking and practice......shoot a lot....look at the mistakes you make and take steps to correct them ......making better pictures....!

There are just as many good photographers on here as there are on gen forums.....in fact some of the members here show their genuines on TZ and elsewhere...!

As for the photos on Paneristi.....there are many good photos...but not many great ones......!

063PANERAILUMINORMARINA44mm1.jpg

8days2.jpg

116PANERAI024SUBMERSIBLE1.jpg

127PANERAI2132-1.jpg

129MARINAMILITARE3.jpg

134PANERAIPOWERRESERVEWHITEDIAL3.jpg

196daylight.jpg

327PANERAI1950F.jpg

327PANERAI1950H.jpg

Thanks vbarret!! I couldn't agree with you more - I used to be a part of TRF and I must say that the quality of pics on their forums dont even come close to the quality of pics on these forums...When I first joined here, I couldn't take a good pic if my life depended on it...After reading pugwash's tutorials and jiro's PS tips I slowly began to improve with every picture - So I must give credit were credit is due - Pugwash, Jiro - YOU ROCK~

Edited by UB7