When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I bought a $800 vintage Rolex Submariner...Genunie?

Guest ceaser

I'd be seriously checking out your refund options NOW :blink:

Yes as you realise, the POS dial aside (not even a redial and WTF are those metal indices doing there?) that dial depth rating should have been a massive clue. 4000ft=1220m as any owner of a modern SD will tell you. That and the hands are all wrong, and the datefont suggest there's some form of crappy new asian movt in there.

Sorry but I must ask, where did you buy such a monstrosity???

yes I'm covered up to $2000, at fleabay :)

Can you post item no. or other pics.

You've been had no doubt about it I'm afraid, but I'd be interested to see the description.

Really hope you get your money back, maybe next time post pics and ask for opinions before purchasing, lots of us here always happy to help ;)

I'll keep a distance to ebay from now on, better to visit a local auction here in europe andpay some extra.

Best advice I can give is before you go anywhere near ebay or even a local auction, is to firstly to do some research. There's plenty of reference material on vintage Rolex available out there and the time you put in now, will benefit you greatly. Good luck and enjoy :D

C'mon boys, go easy on him.

Sure, it's probably one of the worst examples of a REP (never mind a gen!) I've ever seen but hopefully he's learned a valuable lesson and will take my advice on doing some reading up before he even THINKS about buying again.

Better to educate and encourage than mock and deride.

The big lesson here is:

If it's too good to be true, than it is. This old adage especially applies to watch collecting.

You will never ever find a Rolex Sub for so little money.

Also remember that the Sub is the most forged watch in the world - meaning that scams abound.

Always buy a vintage example from a reputed dealer. And always buy one in the best condition that you can afford.

Take your time selecting a watch, and do your research - this is the most enjoyable part! Never be in a rush & don't be impulsive (ask me, I know).

Cheers

PS. Good luck gettin' your money back. Might not be so easy since the seller knowingly listed the watch as a scam. Hopefully, he won't disappear.

I love my vintage Rolexes!

DSC02822.jpg

Euno, as usual you're right, there are NO bargains with Rolex never mind vintage Rolex, and the old adage is indeed true, just like the other one about 'suckers' and their rapid birth rate :D

However, you've got to admit that someone like Caesar with such a lack of basic knowledge about what he is buying, will unfortunately be equally clueless when it comes to guide prices. He simply saw a battered-up POS watch with the word 'Rolex' on the dial. Naiive, borderline stupid? Perhaps but at least he won't make the same mistake again (I hope at least - although the VC episode someone referred to doesn't bode well).

Nice to see your 5512 again :tu:

p.s. Caesar - disputes take ages and will give this scammer time to clear out his account and then you're up sh*t creek without a paddle. Do a chargeback via your credit card NOW.

I wouldn't post here if I didn't suspect anything wrong, and everytime I've been correct in my assumptions, which has saved me 720$ + 800$(ongoing dispute) so far. You can say what you want, but I have done some great deals, recently bought a $2000 gen rolex and the auction pics + description was wortless, and sold it for $4500 where I live. That put me in some form of trust mode, I ignored my "6th" sense, and greed took over.

I'll recover.

Like The Doc said, charge back your credit card now. eBay takes months to settle a dispute.

A few years ago, I had an eBay dispute over an automatic cat litter box :blush: Suffice it to say, I never got it and the seller vanished into thin air - even disconnected their phone number. Just to scam me out of a measly $175! Lucky seller was not in L.A., or I would've hunted her down (u know how we Japanese are when it comes to disrespect). Anyhow, since I paid via bank transfer through Paypal, I only got $75 back from eBay/Paypal.