When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review of Rolex Yacht-Master Rolesium "Noob factory" version

By-Tor

I have this one on order...cannot wait to get it...we all agree that for what we pay for it is a must have rep, even if not be worn regularly...

I wonder why this review isn't pinned!

Which one and which dealer???

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please, when you ask questions like this, include the pictures (or at least the web links) to the actual rep models in the dealers' sites. I went to Trusty's site but couldn't find these models in question.

Including pics/links makes answering much easier and quicker, as there are dozens of different models and variations.

Thanks.

The link to the YM XMAS "Beginner" edition is:

http://www.trustytime88.com/index.php?main...8aa21f0c82e1f9f

and here is his YM "Newbie":

http://www.trustytime88.com/index.php?main...8aa21f0c82e1f9f

Which one would resemble the one in the review, or which one should i get? =)

Thanks!

Edited by spankin923

I wouldn't buy these.

The "Christmas beginner edition" model is actually the correct one. Same watch I reviewed, but it has a horrible datefont. Ironically, it's hands down the most accurate YM in his collection... including those ETA reps that cost 300$ +. I don't know why they have installed that kind of font in it, which (imho) ruins the watch. The factory probably just ran out of stock of the good datewheels?

Andrew's "YM Newbie" is a bad replica (sorry Andrew). It has no rehaut thickness and datewheel/cyclops positioned too right + many other flaws. Stay away from those.

Get one from Narikaa (Asian) or bklm1234 (ETA). They both sell the correct version (with good datewheel). $78 is a great deal for this Xmas edition though. It's a great rep that has just a bad datefont. Maybe you could live with it?

Hope this helps, and happy hunting.

By-Tor....As always, an excellent review and superb photography. You mentioned that the date wheel and cyclops was too far to the right on one of Andrew's YM's. Have a look at the second gen photo in Scoopy's post. It appears to have the cyclops placed almost at the edge of the crystal. What gives?

Thanks for the support, all who bothered to reply. Much appreciated.

I have another review coming soon, and it might be my last one for quite a while.

That would be really unfortunate.

Excellent review and pics. If the super reps were as good as your super-reviews BT, I imagine a lot of swiss "shirts" would become more and more shaken by the day.

I have the "blue rotor" version of the Asian YM, and someone said that this movement is supposed to be 28.800 bph. Well, it's not as smooth as the ETA, that's for sure. It might be better than the traditional low beat Asian. I dunno, I don't have one to compare right now.

This exact same model is definitely available with ETA as well. I know bklm1234 (a RepGeek dealer) sells it. Maybe TTK too... not sure.

Either way, this is pretty amazing rep. My Asian version is probably my best "bargain buy" ever.

@By-Tor: Are those polished middle links picking up scratches easily?

Not for me, as I'm not hard on my watches. But of course, polished middle links are always prone to scratches.

But you can always polish the scratches away with abrasive metal paste. Just cover the brushed areas with tape.

• 1 month later...
No, the MBK version is a different watch. See it here.

what do you think of this one master?

i355ck.jpg

:) do you think this dial is better? because ive seen other people's noob YM and they have a slightly different dial than mine :(.. btw i did some crown guard mods and also bracelet mods to it (make it less sharper and oiled) :)

Edited by arminvanbuuren

That's the exact same watch as in this review, from the same factory. It only has thinner date font and SWISSMADE at '6, instead of

SWISS ' MADE. Both variations are correct.

People say that YM only comes with the thin datewheel font, which is not true. Here's a gen photo that resembles the one I reviewed. This thicker date version isn't as common as the thin version. See also the SWISS ' MADE.

@arminvanbuuren, the one you have is the previous generation (or at least the new ones I have the dail is slightly different) I can see it because the Lume on the hands and the lume on the Hour-markers aren't the same, while on my new Noobyachtmasters the hands and the hourmarkers have the same lume (or so it appears, same colour).

@arminvanbuuren, the one you have is the previous generation (or at least the new ones I have the dail is slightly different) I can see it because the Lume on the hands and the lume on the Hour-markers aren't the same, while on my new Noobyachtmasters the hands and the hourmarkers have the same lume (or so it appears, same colour).

thanks eurotimez.. and another diff that i meant was also the actual colour of the dial.. the newer version (i think the one ur talking about) has a lighter (platinum is meant to be light coloured?) and i think a lil more yellowish in colour and where as this version has a darker grey dial.. but it is very confusing to which is closer to the gen?

i will take some comparison photo tomorrow in real life lighting to show u these differences.. and maybe we can do a comparison in which is truer to the gen :)

and also any comments on the crown guards mod that i did? is it closer to the gen (U-shaped)? or do i still need more modding? :).. ohh and 1 more mod i should do to this is superlume and probably a new crown from bkmariner :)

Edited by arminvanbuuren

The dial reflects all kinds of colors in the photographs. The "reddish" color on the dial (that you often see in people's pictures) reflects from their own hand.

I know there's no sign of red or yellow on my dial.

I have never seen the MBK version in the flesh, but I've heard it has better "sparkling effect" on the dial. However, the YACHT-MASTER font on the dial is oversized, as you can see from the photos.

I don't know if it applies to the YM rep, but TW/MBK versions often "feel" better, because they somehow have more "substantial feel". This is important for some.

I can confirm that the MBK Yachtmaster has def a better feel and feels somehow I can't explain, but I've handled alot and I mean alot of reps. But the MBK ones I tell you ....

They feel better, it def has a better sparkling effect than the noob dail. I went to the AD in Paragon (where I collected tons of books hah, i'm a cheapskate --didn't buy any gen tho--) and the gen Yachtmaster has at some point a very sparkling effect while viewed from a different angle it looks like it has no sparkle --more like the noob ones---. Very funny effect, personally I like the rep better than the gen haha. Perhaps I should send By-Tor an Yachtmaster MBK for review? He can do a side by side comparison, I'm not good at that as By-Tor is.

Edited by EuroTimez

I can confirm that the MBK Yachtmaster has def a better feel and feels somehow I can't explain, but I've handled alot and I mean alot of reps. But the MBK ones I tell you ....

They feel better, it def has a better sparkling effect than the noob dail. I went to the AD in Paragon (where I collected tons of books hah, i'm a cheapskate --didn't buy any gen tho--) and the gen Yachtmaster has at some point a very sparkling effect while viewed from a different angle it looks like it has no sparkle --more like the noob ones---. Very funny effect, personally I like the rep better than the gen haha. Perhaps I should send By-Tor an Yachtmaster MBK for review?

or maybe you can review it :p.. as to this sparkling effect you're talking about.. my yachtmaster has this effect.. under light it has that glitter sparkly effect.. but when it is under dim light the colour goes back to similar to the yachtmaster noob (i do have the noob as well here with me).. that is why i'm kind of confused which version is this ym from.. it has the yachtmaster cylinder rehaut, diff dial but, diff dial fonts and funny enough if you can see from my pic the crownguard is u-shaped unlike other noobyachtmaster.. so yeah..

• 1 year later...