When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review of ROLEX Explorer II Frankenwatch

By-Tor

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Urabus: That's a handsome ExpII. I can't say for sure if yours is the same base watch as mine though. The cg's and crown look different. Maybe it's just the pics? However your watch seems to have correctly positioned date mag. Is it the wrong hand stack version?

I wonder if it'd be possible to paint the hour marker indices black somehow? Probably impossible, since the surfaces are so small... that's just an idea. :)

bytor, I have thought about painting the hour markers black on that loose dial. the 12, 6, and 9 markers are black, its just the hour markers that are off. I would need a relume after painting so in the end, if a gen dial fits, I'd rather do that.

the case without the movement, came without a movement. I got everything but, down to the movement spacer,p and what I believe is a dial spacer. the hands I received are correct stack hands, I was told no movements were available but everything else was.

on the noob case, the bezel is better, the case dimensions are better, the bracelet is better, the clasp is worse, but still good.

I am very excited now that I know a gen dial can fit. I am going to beg The Zigmeister when he is taking appointments to try to make it all fit.

I hope a better white version comes around. it is an amazing piece, gen or rep.

wear yours well, and happy holidays to you and yours.

UPDATE: RIVER SELLS THIS MAGNIFICENT REP MODEL RIGHT NOW. CHRISTMAS SALE!

Sturm just received his black version/ correct hand stack, and it's this same best model, which has been extremely difficult to source. Normally I don't advertise any dealers, but this time I make an exception.

Be quick... and remember that the white rep version doesn't have the correct black hour marker circles. Go for the black one!

Thanks to this I now have a White dial on the way from River and an OEM dial to go in it B)

Fantastic!

Where did you find the gen dial... and how much was it?

PS: Remember to post a lot of pics when your watch is done. For some weird reason Explorer II is probably the most underrated sports Rolex among the members. It's a beauty for sure. :good:

• 2 weeks later...

@BT - Very nice review as always.

I have always wanted a nice explorer but due to the incorrect hand stack issue i have not pull a trigger on one yet.

Did you say that the black one offers by River is the good one? Just want to verify before contact River for one.

Enjoy your gorgeous Explorer II.

Edited: Someone asked River the same question and his answer was: it's Hours hand adjustable!

Is that a correct hand stack version?

thats half of being correct. river told me that they are out of the black face, kinda bummed since i am working on a franken white faced.

If this is the best Rolex replica, why don't the dealers produce it more? I'd like to have one of these too.

I have owned both Explorer I and II (genuines) and I couldn't tell any difference between the gen and rep (from kevin330z's picture). Actually I'm not sure which is which. :o

speedmaster, that is a great question. my rep expII feels of a better quality than a number of gen exp II's that I have had the pleasure of trying on. I know there is a movement shortage, maybe once they start using other movements, we will see more of these great reps. Until then we can drool over these amazing watches from lucky members.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi By-tor, hope you don't mind me jumping on this bandwagon sooo late....

I'm keen on ordering an explorer 2 from Eurotimez. Chris has said that it can accomodate a gen dial too...how different is his from yours (which is extinct now), do you know?

Hope you can enlighten me...no worries if you can't or are too busy....

Cheers!

Hi By-tor, hope you don't mind me jumping on this bandwagon sooo late....

I'm keen on ordering an explorer 2 from Eurotimez. Chris has said that it can accomodate a gen dial too...how different is his from yours (which is extinct now), do you know?

Hope you can enlighten me...no worries if you can't or are too busy....

Cheers!

Eurotimez sells the good version, but for some weird reason there are two batches of these Explorer II's, and the gen dial only fits to the old version. The problem is that these two versions are virtually indistinguishable from eachother. Dluddy has bad experiences.

If you want a great ExpII rep, get the black one.

PS: Sorry for the late reply. I missed this one.

Eurotimez sells the good version, but for some weird reason there are two batches of these Explorer II's, and the gen dial only fits to the old version. The problem is that these two versions are virtually indistinguishable from eachother. Dluddy has bad experiences.

If you want a great ExpII rep, get the black one.

PS: Sorry for the late reply. I missed this one.

Hey thanks so much for replying! Really. I've contacted Chris, he thinks it should be able to accomodate the gen dial and asked me to double-check it with you...hence my post...

Dunno if he has the old one in stock...you think the black one can have the gen dial fitted in?...sorry for the inane questions...but i was really inspired by yr review and went and got me a gen dial! =)

The issue I had with my genuine dial and new Explorer models is as follows:

Gen dial is 27.5MM

Current Rep Dials are either 28MM or 29MM and the gen dial does not work.

I had to find an older 2006 Trusty model through resale as this one works fine since the dial is 27MM.

Ask Chris to measure the dial if you want to be sure.

DL