When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Silixwatch 'asian Automatic Movement'

jens

Looking at the Silixwatch web site, a lot of watches carry a socalled 'Asian automatic movement'.

Anyone who knows what this is? Are these the movements refferred to as the 'unknown asian movements - stay away' in The Zigmeister's guides?

Have anyone of you ever bought some of these cheap watches?

Yep, I've got some of the asian 21j movts in watches- like my $60 datejust, keeps good time, it's sweatproof and date mag is only 2x at best. Otherwise, it's a good rep and for $60, what do you want. I've also got a Silix sub- the 6835- keeps good time, the only thing I don't like is the printing on the dial is a little too yellow. Guess I need to get around to taking it apart and try to do something to age the luminescence, tone down the yellow.

There's nothing wrong w/ buying the asian 21j movement, just realize that if it craps out, there might not be much to do but put another movement in there- a Miyota or an ETA, or go out and buy another rep altogether. But it's not like you've lost your life savings or anything and if you have some fun w/ it and learn something about watches it's worth it.

I've bought 5 watches from Jay and Angel, all with Asian automatic movements. All are handsome, well-make reps, all keep near-perfect time. For $60 or so, you can neither get nor expect much more than a reasonably accurate rep with a well-functioning movement.

Yes they have bad movement, but it's still luck.

I have one that keep very good time (it's a Seiko movement designed as "Asian Power Reserve movement")

Only problem with those watch is if something goes wrong, it's not worth it to fix it.. So it's a use and trash watch.

I have purchased 4 Asian movement watches from silix, the first 2 are a year old now and all are working fine, the vast majority concensus of our members is that Jay and Angels Asian movements are in fact goodies.

Ken

Ok, thanks a lot for your feedback.

I think I will buy a couple since you seem to agree that it's not a waste of money. A feasible way to do a 'test run' to see if you really like a certain model in real life.

jens

Just got back from visiting my watchmaker. I took him my TWG TT DJ w/ the Asian movt to see if he could regulate it. It was running 5 minutes a day slow. He took the back case off and moved the smaller of the two little levers on the balance wheel and got it closer to correct. He had it on the vibrograph as he was adjusting it and said, "That ought to be pretty close. If that doesn't work, there's not much more that I can do." So far it's doing alot better, but I guess you can't expect perfection from these Asian 21's.

I'm getting ready to build a gold datejust, so I guess I'll use the ETA that I have. I had hoped to just move the Asian 21, dial and crown into the gold case, but I'm not sure it's worth it. Of course, now I have to find a dial, or just use the dial from the TT DJ and shitcan the rest of the watch!