When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

HBB Lite PVD Bezel vs. Ceramic

Ok.. it has come down to this.. sheezz... comparisons of 2 reps .. HBB.. at least we are stepping it up a notch instead of reviewing reps and genuines it is now reviewing reps to a copy of a rep... :lol: ... edit.. i should say a copy of the V-1 ceramic.. since it is the same maker.. ma bad.. :p

I was really pleasantly surprised after opening the box and finding that the PVD Bezel is not all that bad and at a glance even on close inspection you would really have to know ceramics and HBB's to tell the difference in Bezel.. granted this is not the polished bezel that should go on the Black Magic . but I rather like the soft tone of the brushed ceramic on my SS/ceramic version ..

Let's take a LOOK.. again the Black magic PVD is the "lite" version and i should point out the PVD appears to be anodized..

post-2172-1200441543_thumb.jpg there is only a slight difference in the finish of the ceramic to the PVD.. seems like there are more "fibers" in the finished ceramic

but the dials look good together.. the ceramic BM has the same dial i believe.. the lite .. red colour on the chrono second hand is a bit matte compared to the V-1

post-2172-1200441543_thumb.jpg post-2172-1200441570_thumb.jpg the most obvious difference is of course the AR.. but this is fixable ..chieftang or K2222

post-2172-1200441805_thumb.jpg the Lite version even has the serations on the side of the bezel

post-2172-1200441892_thumb.jpgpost-2172-1200441908_thumb.jpg both have gaps at parts of the bezel .. at the same areas

post-2172-1200442322_thumb.jpg the height differs by a fraction of a mm.. the lite version is a bit shorter in height and notice the light reflects more off the

ceramic bezel

post-2172-1200442476_thumb.jpgpost-2172-1200442501_thumb.jpg same crown and pushers

post-2172-1200442623_thumb.jpg rubber starp .. the lite version is a little softer than the version 1 but not noticable on the wrist.

post-2172-1200442716_thumb.jpgpost-2172-1200445194_thumb.jpg case back and rotor are the same as is the serial numbers..

post-2172-1200442832_thumb.jpg lite version

post-2172-1200442945_thumb.jpg ceramic version

I would not have posted this comparison but the difference in cost and the fact that the PVD bezel was a welome surprise prompted me to post this comparison.

Thanks for viewing and I hope this adds to your decision making

Lani

post-2172-1200442432_thumb.jpg

post-2172-1200442566_thumb.jpg

Dear Lanikai,

Thanks for this great comparison! Its funny, but i just posted a question on a comparison between the two only a couple of hours ago, to find that you have written this! :lol:

Well, i am not Hublot master, by no means. So i just wanted to ask a few questions, if you don't mind. ^_^

You say that the Black Magic should have a polished bezel... i take it that the Auth Black Magic has a polished bezel then?

Do you know of anyone who does a Black Magic Lite with the polished Bezel? What i am looking for is a Black Magic that is as close to the Gen as possible, i am talking looks wise pretty much mirror image; and i am trying my best not to spend a ridiculous amount of money in finding one.

Ideally there would be a lite version, with a polished bezel, do you know if this exists?

If not, can you tell me who you got this Lite version from and for what price?

Thanks a lot!

Moi B)

Dear Lanikai,

Thanks for this great comparison! Its funny, but i just posted a question on a comparison between the two only a couple of hours ago, to find that you have written this! :lol:

Well, i am not Hublot master, by no means. So i just wanted to ask a few questions, if you don't mind. ^_^

You say that the Black Magic should have a polished bezel... i take it that the Auth Black Magic has a polished bezel then?

Do you know of anyone who does a Black Magic Lite with the polished Bezel? What i am looking for is a Black Magic that is as close to the Gen as possible, i am talking looks wise pretty much mirror image; and i am trying my best not to spend a ridiculous amount of money in finding one.

Ideally there would be a lite version, with a polished bezel, do you know if this exists?

If not, can you tell me who you got this Lite version from and for what price?

Thanks a lot!

Moi B)

Well, this is a question for the PVD experts as if you notice the case on the lite version it is polished or shiny anyway.. i don't know if this is enamel or a polished PVD... but the whole excersize in the lite is for a lower costing HBB... so with that said.. the bezel comes off so try and do some research on how to get that bezel to shine....and you can add that to another post.. your project MOI... B)

and I will PM you with the info on the collector as I don't like to use this to advertise for collectors...

This is a gold star review (where is my 'rate' button?)

Thanks, lanikai!

Good to see you my Friend... another year older we are.. no rate buttons anymore .. but thanks for the thought .. now if this maker can just get the dust out of his work area so it won't end up in the case.. aarrrgghhhh

aloha,

Lanikai

This is a gold star review (where is my 'rate' button?)

Thanks, lanikai!

hahah i was looking for the same button, great review, btw i seen at ad genuine limited edition with white ceramic, brushed bezel, and got to say that clasp, finished and feel is the same as a rep!!!, i couldnt see how the movement look, becouse that was closed caseback

hahah i was looking for the same button, great review, btw i seen at ad genuine limited edition with white ceramic, brushed bezel, and got to say that clasp, finished and feel is the same as a rep!!!, i couldnt see how the movement look, becouse that was closed caseback

All this needs is k2222 or chieftang and it's GTG... :1a:

Surely, i'll post some pics when the black magic comes and i'll do a comparison of the polished ceramic vs. pvd, my PVD lite is off in Poland getting double AR so I dont have the PVD bezel on hand, only the polished ceramic and the SS bezel from the ice bang light...This weeks kinda hectic for me, but when I get some time i'll add to this thread or make a new 1...Great review/write up lan, thanks for taking the time to put this together!!

::Gold Star::

::ZING::

P1050044_CERAMIC.jpg

icebangg.jpg

P1050051.jpg

iceee.jpg

And i've noticed that the tiny crack between the bezel and case can be fixed easily w/ an H screwdriver, and with the ceramic polished bezel the crack is even smaller and barely noticable but I don't wana push it and over tighten it and crack the ceramic

Great comparison and review Lanikai. You own both the ceramic and PVD? They do look close, however it seems to me it would be difficult to compare the highly polished ceramic to the PVD. I only have the ceramic. I see Josh is here now, maybe he can add a comment on his view.

Great comparison and review Lanikai. You own both the ceramic and PVD? They do look close, however it seems to me it would be difficult to compare the highly polished ceramic to the PVD. I only have the ceramic. I see Josh is here now, maybe he can add a comment on his view.

your HBB is the quinessential one HB.. but agian you are in a business where you can pull that one off.. me wearing the rose gold would be taken as a dug dealer . :lol: .. i could always say i do well in Amway..

yes, i have 2 ceramics.. but am pleasantly surprised at the closeness of the PVD... now there must be some way to polish this son of a buck....

@ UB7.. take a look at the whole bezel UB it is curved like a potato chip wafer.. both the ceramic and the PVD... better safe than sorry.. i woudn't mess with tightening it too much... as you can't tell unless you scrutinize.. wow.. do we do that.. look at it from all angles.. imagine that... you'd think we be obsessed or sompting :lol:

just make sure when U obsess do it in the privacy of your home :huh:

how's the rehaut on the polished bezel UB ?

The rehaut is identical to the PVD bezels...I have a suspicion that the case on the ice bang/black magic (the polished parts of the case) are ADLC coated, and the brushed part is PVD...I wonder if avitt could ADLC coat the PVD bezels to mimic the polished effect of the ceramic..and I seriously doubt its possible to polish PVD to a mirror finish but that would be awesome if you could :D...and yeah I still keep the screws on the ceramic bezel not too tight to ensure that it doesn't break

The rehaut is identical to the PVD bezels...I have a suspicion that the case on the ice bang/black magic (the polished parts of the case) are ADLC coated, and the brushed part is PVD...I wonder if avitt could ADLC coat the PVD bezels to mimic the polished effect of the ceramic...and yeah I still keep the screws on the ceramic bezel not too tight to ensure that it doesn't break

if the maker could do the bezel like they do the case.. that is highly polished .. i think that would be a 5 star award.... although i am totally happy with this lite version

Actually this may be better for the simple fact that the V-1 version is so $$ if you scratch the bezel.. nuff said.

but it would be a cool project to work on as to getting this bezel polished..

...I have a suspicion that the case on the ice bang/black magic (the polished parts of the case) are ADLC coated, and the brushed part is PVD...I wonder if avitt could ADLC coat the PVD bezels to mimic the polished effect of the ceramic..and I seriously doubt its possible to polish PVD to a mirror finish

Just to recall that, as far as I know, neither PVD nor DLC/ADLC do affect the finish (polished/shiny, or matte) of the underlying surface. In other words, it's the underlying surface that actually makes the look, not the coat.

And polishing PVD would simply erase it (provided one can manage in doing it).

Ah yes.. the PVD is just a coating so the metal to start with needs to be polished.. but would that affect the look of the PVD.. otherwise the finish they have on the case would work.. or just be happy with it.. but then again man alway's tries to find better way's to mess up :lol:

The rehaut is identical to the PVD bezels...I have a suspicion that the case on the ice bang/black magic (the polished parts of the case) are ADLC coated, and the brushed part is PVD...I wonder if avitt could ADLC coat the PVD bezels to mimic the polished effect of the ceramic..and I seriously doubt its possible to polish PVD to a mirror finish but that would be awesome if you could :D...and yeah I still keep the screws on the ceramic bezel not too tight to ensure that it doesn't break

I'm not an HBB guy, but I've been watching these threads, and thinking about what could be done...

It'd be a challenge to take a PVD'd bezel, and give is a polished look. To do that would involve polishing the brushed surface perfectly flat, stripping the remaining PVD, and then recoating.

Is there a stainless bezel available (either brushed or polished)? This would be easier to work with.

The ADLC is very dark grey, but appears black on polished surfaces, so I think it would look pretty good.

I'm not an HBB guy, but I've been watching these threads, and thinking about what could be done...

It'd be a challenge to take a PVD'd bezel, and give is a polished look. To do that would involve polishing the brushed surface perfectly flat, stripping the remaining PVD, and then recoating.

Is there a stainless bezel available (either brushed or polished)? This would be easier to work with.

The ADLC is very dark grey, but appears black on polished surfaces, so I think it would look pretty good.

let me see if I can source a ss bezel avitt .. if anyone could do it .. U da guy.. get back to you...

I'd be happy to try :thumbsupsmileyanim: Let me know what you can turn up...

ok trying to get a ss bezel.. we'll see.. i'll be in touch avitt... fo sure !!!! :good:

edit: ..ok avitt my collector will try to source the ss bezel but it will not be until the end of the month.. requested 2 .. leave room for trial and error.. :D

I was just thinking, and if avitt can pull this off and make SS bezels appear polished black w/ ADLC it wouldn't have the serrations/knurled sides to it like the gen bezels, however this would still be great and much cheaper alternative for those who don't want to dish out the $ for a ceramic bezel..excited to see what can be done with this ..I think tons of people would buy these if it can be pulled off..I definitely would get a few :D

I was just thinking, and if avitt can pull this off and make SS bezels appear polished black w/ ADLC it wouldn't have the serrations/knurled sides to it like the gen bezels, however this would still be great and much cheaper alternative for those who don't want to dish out the $ for a ceramic bezel..excited to see what can be done with this ..I think tons of people would buy these if it can be pulled off..I definitely would get a few :D

UB7- I agreed with you. And avitt can count me in for two. I can't justify $300 for a ceramic bezel.