When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Tudor Monte Carlo

tmg

As promised here are some more pix of my 7031 (really a 7032 thanks Ubi!, since I chose a stainless bezel) -a grail watch of sorts for me.

This is a vietnamese made case and complete watch from J&W with gen pushers, gen crystal, and a VJ7734 movement with a Tudor engraved bridge, mounted on a folded 7836 bracelet with 258 end links. The quality of these cases are just amazing. The date alternates red and black, although this DW is not original to the 7031 it's pretty cool. Yes, the crystal is slightly off center which I'll take care of soon. It's been some time since I had a watch I just CANNOT stop looking at! :wub:

Enjoy!

DSCN4847.jpg

DSCN4846.jpg

DSCN4842.jpg

DSCN4843.jpg

DSCN4845.jpg

DSCN4841.jpg

Stunning. I love this watch.

How difficult is to source a crystal for that model? Or is it just the standard Sub crystal with cyclops... just placed sideways?

Hi BT,

Thank you!

I bought it as you see it, according to J&W it's gen and pretty rare these days.

TMG, that is one awesome Monte Carlo. :wub:

Beautiful work! If this watch were to be ever cloned, it would sell like hot cakes. The gen prices are in the stratosphere!

Is this the big block case? It looks like it may be from your photos. I've never seen this dial offered except a gen on very, very rare occasions.

Enjoy!

Thanks guys for all the kind words, the Monte Carlo to me is the epitome of the 70's busy dial sport watch and I'm lovin' it!

@ptolomeo it's jewelryandwatch.com

@jetsons this sure is the big block case it's as thick of not thicker than a 1665.

@marsupilami please keep us posted on the progress of yours, you'll be real happy with the end result. End links will be tough, I believe the correct ones are 589's, the gen 580 and 258's I have are not tall enough as you can sort of see in the first pix. I didn't have the patience on this one to have it built up and decided to just buy the complete watch. It's an instant gratification thing!

@verbal -I'm a sucker for Tudors too as you know ;)

@torresp there is no comparison to the DW pushers. The gen are snug, smooth to screw & unscrew and feel more substantial and not so tinny like the DW pushers.

TMG, that is one awesome Monte Carlo. :wub:

Beautiful work! If this watch were to be ever cloned, it would sell like hot cakes. The gen prices are in the stratosphere!

Is this the big block case? It looks like it may be from your photos. I've never seen this dial offered except a gen on very, very rare occasions.

Enjoy!

hi,

just measured, the bigblock case is 2 mm thicker.

tmg -- first, congrats on an excellent project watch -- that is a stunner. second, i am curious to know how closely the date font compares to the gen? is it a custom dw or were you able to source it from j&w.

:1a:

WW, thanks for the compliment.

The date wheel is not the same font as the original but looks like a generic one you see in other VJ7734's. I do like that mine alternates a red and black print. I'll have to take a closeup shot soon. I've seen pix of Monte Carlo's with replacement dw's that are a similar plain font, so it doesn't really bother me. I'd rather get the proper 589 or 593 end links on my bracelet for now, 580's are too short and annoy me :D .

This was a completely assembled piece I bought form J&W, so I'm assuming the dw was already with the movement.

• 1 month later...

I saw the price at J&W and wonder why does it cost so much? How much would the real thing cost?

I assume their pre-own Rolexes are real, price is very good for a daydate though.

You got a very nice watch, wear it in good health and enjoy.