When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Does A Rolex Take A Year To Manufacture? This One Does...

As many of you guys know, I've always loved the Daytona. And, I've always wanted to add one to my collection. After much deliberation, and a few replicas that turned out to be more disappointment than anything else, the opportunity came along to build my favorite watch. About a year ago, I purchased a 16520 Daytona case kit, which consisted of a genuine Daytona case, bezel, crystal, pushers, crown, tube, hands, bracelet and a refinished dial on a genuine base. The kit looked like this:

All I needed to add was the movement- A Zenith El Primero caliber 400 was the one to use, as Rolex used this movement in the 16520, reworked and renamed the Rolex 4030. Finding the movement was the difficult part, as not just any movement would do for me. There were lots of old El Primeros out there; many of which came in old Zeniths and Movado Datrons, however the majority that I came across were very old and worn (sometimes not in working order), and oft times only the 17 jewel models (I was after the 31j). The movement that I was after was typically selling for well over the $1k price point, and after having watched the sales of several 31j El Primeros on eBay and other venues I was convinced that I would have to spend $1300.00 on a donor watch only to strip the movement from.

Then.... A good friend and member of this board showed me something that made my eyes widen- That being a brand new EP 400 from an Ebel 911, brand new and in the plastic factory case untouched. After discussing price, this one had my name all over it. Payment was made, and the movement was in my hands the following day (thanks, Chris!!).

So, now we're getting somewhere...

After looking at this view for a little short of a year...

...I now saw this:

And now, some behind the scenes pics...

Here is the date wheel and date changing mechanism removed from the movement:

Here is the process of adding hands (which I tackled just this afternoon):

And finally, everything in the case, buttoned down:

With everything completed and tested, it's time for some glamour shots cool.gif

Bracelet fitted:

And, with a Daytona of older vintage...

So, after nearly a year my quest for my holy grail frankenwatch is now completed. I'm breathing a sigh of relief... And I have a feeling my trusty old Sea-Dweller may have to cope with being 2nd favorite for a while...

wink.gif

If you've managed to make it this far, thank you. Thank you for reading and taking part in what has been for me, a fantastic and somewhat emotional experience smile.gif

All the best,

Randy

WOW! Looks great. I wonder if something like this could be sold as genuine, which would be a very scary thing.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost you in total? I'm more interested in the cost of the genuine bracelet, case, etc. It must have been hard to get such parts.

WOW !!

Randy, that is absolutely AWESOME !!

A totally amazing project. That must have been a thrill and a half putting that together, and can imagine the gigantic rush when you put the last piece on it and got to look at your fantastic watch. Great pics as usual in a sharp layout with your concise captions that I've always enjoyed looking at and reading and usually learning something new . . . and this time got to look and read just for sheer pleasure. Congratulations on your finished watch project. This will definitely be one post for the archives that may never be topped.

Brian

Randy, you have the honors of having completed the most fantastic project I have ever seen on thse forums. Amazing work and most importantly, perseverance.

I'm not sure what you can possibly come up with to top this one but I'm sure you'll think of something. :)

Many congratulations on a fantastic watch. :thumbsupsmileyanim: You deserve it.

Two thumbs up, way up to Chris for helping you complete your dream watch.

Enjoy!

Jet

Edited by Jetsons

Hey gang,

I must say that I am overwhelmed by all of your kind comments! Thank you! :) This project has been a fascinating 'journey' for me. I learned quite a lot along the way- Perhaps the most important lesson for me being patience (I'm not typically a very patient kind of guy, heh heh. But I'm learning...). Finishing up this watch was like finally being able to take a breath of air after holding it for so long... I think I'm still in a little bit of disbelief :lol:

Anyways... To answer some questions...

The case kit was purchased for $1400.00 (if I recall correctly). That was for everything, except the movement. The movement was another $800.00, and was brand new, still in the packaging from Ebel. So, all in all, I've got around $2400.00 into this. As for where I purchased my kit... The seller doesn't want me to say. All I can divulge is that I was at the right place at the right time :) There are, however, Italian made cases, dials, etc for around the same price. I have no idea where to find these cases, but if someone happens to know or is able to find out, I'd like to know too, please ;)

So, now all I have left on my to-do list for this watch is to pick up a genuine rotor, a 4030 bridge, and source a genuine box set; I don't typically purchase box/paper sets for my watches, but this one will be the exception only because of what I've put into this watch thus far. No, it won't be sold ;) but rather passed down to my son when he's older (who hopefully won't sell it either :lol:). Speaking of which, I must add that my son sat next to me the entire time while putting this together, just watching his Dad at work with great interest and quiet as a mouse (which is a bit surprising for a 2 year old). I think I'm making a watch nerd out of him too!

Anyhow... Thanks again for the very kind comments! It is all very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Randy

Great work Randy, the watch looks amazing! No doubt I have a greater appreciation for those who are "crafty" with their abilities, considering I made my first attempt (with your help and movement of course) with not as good as your results. But it was fun, and you have to start somewhere.

Wear in good health my friend.

ps. I thnk my wife is now hooked on the scrapjazz site.

Hi Randy,

Thanks for sharing such a fantatic project with all of us... :3a: My hat always comes off to you my friend. Your tutorial is excellent and no one could have done a better job.

I love and respect your work, and you are a fantastic contributor to this board.

Thanks Again,

mike