Welcome to RWG - The original

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

KB

ADMIN

38 posts in this topic

To start off the New Year a very special interview

This is it folks, this is the interview I have been chasing, after all they don't come anymore important than the guy who runs the show.

There is a lot that we in the Administration team already know about our Admin (a lot we can't share as well), my job will be to try and bring out some interesting facts, colour if you like, about the man who sits in front of all the buttons.

Ken: Hello Admin and thank you for taking the time from what I know to be a very busy schedule to answer these questions.

Admin: Hey Ken. Yes, you are right. My schedule is extremely busy these days. Running the forums is still just a hobby of mine. I also run my own IT Consulting company and as the only employee, with multiple projects, 24 hours a day is usually not enough. But I love the forums and I manage to squeeze in some time here and there; maybe an hour or two every night. Basically, I "have" to do this. If I spend too much time away, my PM and e-mail inbox fills up pretty quick. I receive anything from 30-60 e-mails and PM's every day and I usually try to respond to the ones that needs a response

Ken: Straight up I wonder if you may give us all a history of the boards you have been associated with.

Admin: The history started back in 2001 when I was, like most of us, looking for replica watches online. I found a couple of sites and knowing nothing about quality or scams, I ordered 5 watches together with a couple of friends of mine. Needless to say, these never showed up and we had a hell of a time getting our money back. Somehow the bank managed to reverse our transfer, so we got it back. This was when I set out to find some reliable info about replica watches. My search for this reliable information lead me to a forum named RWCC (Replica Watch Collectors Club), formed by a guy named Andre.

This is what the layout looked like on RWCC. This is a screenshot taken after several forums have been removed and after all the members emigrated to TRC

post-1-126813712889_thumb.gif

Andre had some really stunning reps and the forum was basically set up as a selling front for his replicas, but also served as a good way to share info between replica enthusiasts (just like the current replica forums).

This is where I got my first replica; a nice Rolex Cellini (picture below) from Wade, a great guy from NY, who had some 1st class replicas. He was one of the first dealers who supplied the now common Omega Seamaster with ETA (2836) and the correct datefont (white font on black background) I still remember how we "oh-ed" and "ah-ed" over that watch. Of course I bought one. I still have it and it still runs perfectly, even though it never has been serviced. Actually, none of my replicas have been serviced and I've never had any problems with them. But that's not what we were talking about. Let's get back to forums history: RWCC had a few hundred members and teevtee once explained what happened at RWCC and here is his story:

"Andre started the old board (Replica Watch Collector's Club or RWCC). It was 100% Andre, I did not know him at all nor did any of us at the time.

He was using RWCC mainly as a place to sell the occasional watch he would have but also had a small message board section. He was not a dealer as we know them today. Rather Andre was simply a nice guy who had access to these watches and would post them on an individual basis. In general he would have only one of whatever watch he was selling. Some members of the message boards started to trade individual watches and so forth and so the message board started to grow.

Myself, Richard and several others became regulars of the board, traded or bought watches from Andre and posted quite a bit.

This was the set up for quite a while, Andre ran things as he saw fit and everything was great.

At some point Andre started to get tired of running the board. As the current admin here can tell you it takes more work than you might think. As the board grew more and more people started to post and there were flame wars and things got to be hard to deal with and so Andre had had enough. He asked for people to help run the board.

Several people helped but I ended up becoming the admin and running the board. There was some confusion at first since Andre created the board he held the master passwords. At one point, even though I was the Admin and I re-designed the board and was running it Andre locked me out of the board! Though he said he no longer wanted to run it I guess he had second thoughts or something and locked me out. Some members complained about this and eventually (silly as this sounds) we literally took a vote, sort of like an election, and I ended up winning and once again taking control of the board.

Andre pretty much dropped out at this point and said he had had enough and that he would prefer to sell genuine watches.

So I ran RWCC for quite some time. The board grew quite a bit when I ran it and we expanded to many times the size of the original RWCC. Unlike the situation when Andre ran it I did not and have never sold any watches. The RWCC became a solely independent source of information (exactly as this board is today). No one involved with the RWCC sold watches in any way. Other members like Richard wrote faq's and articles and we had a nice little thing going.

Well, word got out and the Replica Center owned scam sites started to get angry that we were revealing the truth about prices and so forth. So they posted a bunch of lies of ReplicaCenter claiming that RWCC somehow sold watches or directed people to certain sites or whatever. It was all untrue but became a pain.

Around this time people started to ask what else we, as a group, could do. So the idea of a group discount purchase was hatched. Some people wanted to buy from one dealer, others from another dealer and so we had a vote. For a week or two we allowed people to cast votes on who to buy from. Watch Lover David was the overwhelming winner. And so a discounted price was negotiated with him. RWCC never took and money or handled any watches in any way. Rather buyers would mention RWCC and save 25%... as long as a minimum was hit (which it was) the discount applied to all of our members.

Well this was the beginning of the end.

In retrospect it was a bad idea to do this. While all intentions were good, and it was handled well, the fact is that you simply cannot please everyone. Watch Lover David was overwhelmed with orders and could not keep up. He mishandled the situation and some people had to wait many months or even longer for orders to arrive. In the end I think everyone did get either the watches or a refund but it was a stress filled time.

Meanwhile the board had continued to grow (ironically because replicacenter was in essence sending people our way simply buy mentioning us on the site). We had many hundred members and it was very difficult for me to run it all. The limitations of the old EZ board software would not allow us to continue to grow. I did not have the proper amount of time to devote to this either.

Around this time the current admin asked me if I would like to move the board over to what is now TRC. He kindly offered me the chance to run a new board using his software and servers and so forth. I declined because I knew I was no longer interested in dealing with such a large project.

At the end it was decided to close up RWCC and move on. Several splinter boards were started by other members which closely mimicked the set up we created for RWCC. The current admin started his own board at this time. The members of RWCC started to move to one or more of the new boards. Eventually the new board (TRC) won out and the other splinter boards fell by the way side with all the old RWCC members moving here. I decided not to join because I had had enough, but obviously that only lasted a matter of weeks.

And the rest as they say is history. "

Here is a screenshot of TRC, 2 weeks after it opened up

post-1-126813715516_thumb.gif

In 2004, a new young guy pretty much copied the layout from TRC and started what we all now know as RWG1. This was a very successful board. The admin was a very clever with getting tons of hits from the search engines. A couple of years after it started, it had outgrown TRC. Unfortunately things did not go very well, as many of you know. Plans were made for a special RWG watch and many members ordered it. Unfortunately, very few ever saw their watch or money and after a while, the admin, who had handled the payments, went missing also. To make a long story short; it is limited how long a forum can run without anybody at the helm. A team, made up by most of the moderators, reached out to me, asking for guidance and help in this situation and out of our talks came the agreement that I would be the admin of a new board that we would run together. And that's the place you are visiting now: rwg.cc ;) But to finish it off, a screenshot of the original RWG in it's very beginning with 3! registered members:

post-1-126813715264_thumb.gif

Ken: Now we know that you don't make money from these boards (and quite frankly I find this to be ludicrous) so what drives you to put in the hours you do? Is it the feeling of commitment, the fact that you become involved with your creations, the unwillingness to desert your member base or something completely different?

Admin: I've asked myself that very same question many times, Ken. Guess there are many reasons for this and I also think my motivation has changed since I first started TRC. The reason I say this is because I am nowhere buying as many watches these days as I did before. I think it's the general atmosphere of forum life and the fascination of sharing a very strange hobby with total strangers from all around the world. Over the years, I've made many, many good friends on the forum, but since my life is so busy these days, I just don't have the time right now to have the same amount of contact with them as I used to. But they are all there, in my address book, MSN list or Skype-list and they'll be contacted when I have the opportunity. But the bottom line is that it's pretty darn fun to be on these forums. It's great to be able to help people and I get a laugh out of at least one post pr. Day

Ken: One thing we do know is that to be where you are today suggests a love for watches in general and I suppose reps in particular. Would you care to share a little background on when the bug bit you and how it has manifested in your collection?

Admin: I guess I am kind of a typical replica collector. I've always been intrigued by watches and like many members my favorite brands were Rolex, Omega and Breitling. When I got into replicas, this really changed. When I found RWCC and had a look at some of the brands other members were talking about, I was stunned. There were so many beautiful watches out there. So from only looking at and buying Breitlings, Rolexes and Omegas, new world opened up to me. And this shows in my collection. My current collection consist of about 40 watches after I just did a recent downsize from about 70. Got rid of all the watches I never wear and made a lot of my family members happy ;) The current brands I have is Rolex, Breitling, Omega, Chopard, VC, AP, Oris, Cartier, Mont Blanc and a couple of genuine Seikos.

Ken: Do you feel comfortable enough to tell us a little about what must have been a very trying time for those near to you when you underwent a kidney transplant?

Admin: Well, as you said it was a trying time, but not as trying as others have had it. I knew I was getting a kindey from my brother and I only had to spend about 5 months in dialysis, so it's not that bad. I was fortunate in many ways, because apparently most people get very tired after they've had their dialysis, but I didn't notice this at all. So even though I had to spend 4 hours a day, 3 days a week hooked up to a dialysis machine, I had lots of energy and spare time to do other things when I was finished. This was really good, because my doctor told me that I had to work out and get in shape before the surgery and so I did. I spent many hours in the gym, spinning and playing squash and all this exercise was one of the reasons why the surgery went good and I was up and literally running 4-5 days afterwards. Since we only have one hospital performing transplants in this country, I was scheduled to stay out of town for three months, but since everything went so good, I only had to fly down a couple of times a week for a checkup and could fly back home after spending a day at the hospital. So I consider myself and my family both blessed and lucky!

Ken: And of course after a long recovery period you arrived back at work to decide that 'this is not for you' and have since been your own boss. Do you feel you made the right decision? Is the future looking good?

Admin: Well, I had a job I basically hated. To be able to get any promotions in the job I had, I had to relocate and my fianc

post-1-126813714498_thumb.jpg

post-1-1268137147_thumb.jpg

post-1-126813714886_thumb.jpg

post-1-126813715108_thumb.jpg

Great Read

If im ever in your neck of the woods, id love a game of golf at 11pm!

These interviews just keep getting better KB!

Great job again.

Pity we can't do a total expose' on "The Boss", with stories of his 3am Skype sessions et al :rolleyes:

However a huge amount of "history" was covered in a concise, and easy to digest fashion.

So again thanks Ken and T, we certainly know why RWG is one of the premier places for replica info.

Offshore

wow what a great interview Ken, interesting to read how it all started out.

The idea of upgrading sounds good to me, just to found a basis for the forum to exist, it works on Repgeek too.

We are having a GTG on the 16th of februari in Europe with about 25 people from TRC, but most are also members on other boards too.

Members from Poland,Germany,France,Italy,Netherlands,Belgium,UK are attending, we have a lot of emailcommunication and it's going to be a lot of fun.

Tnx to Admin for sharing and putting all the time needed in RWGcc, it's a great place to be

Pity we can't do a total expose' on "The Boss", with stories of his 3am Skype sessions et al :rolleyes:

Certain things will even get you banned, Offshore. Guess the same thing goes for TT and Kruzer00 also :lol:

Besides, this is the only time both you and the US guys are awake ;)

Great reading... thanks Ken for the interview and thank you very much Boss for investing so much of your energy and time to keep this place up and running.... and if I was you, I wouldn't worry about making the "RWG needs your help...." posts. I enjoy this place - least I can do is support it. I guess a lot of other members feel the same. Just call on us. :clap:

Fantastic!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Possibly a liiiittle bit more information about toenails than I really needed to know! :bleh:

And if 12.30am golf seems extreme, I'm hoping one day to play you at 12.30 in the afternoon in winter when it's pitch black :lol:

Thanks to both Admin and Kenberg for a great read! :)

That was a terrific interview, gives one a sense of what this site really involves. Summers in Scandinavia are hard to beat, sitting in the Sauna at our beach house in Finland watching the sun go down on the sea looking over towards Sweden at midnight is always a great experience.

Thanks to you Admin for the hard work you do in keeping this forum alive.

Near Jacobstad Finland 12:15 AM

triptofinlandjuly200402wp7.jpg

awesome interview session Ken. great to hear a few words from "the boss".

btw, those shots of the course are amazing. everything just looks so peaceful.

Another winner by Ken (and the Boss of course)!

Thanks guys, that was great read!

You rock #1 sir!

EDIT: I'm sure if we ever do a global GTG, jetmid can fly us all there! :)

That was the longest interview ever ! Wow.

Noobs like me learnt a lot about what happened in the past and how we came here...

There's one thing I can't agree more : most of the people will not understand how difficult it is to run or moderate a board. Just for that you deserve a gold star !.. Well, you WILL deserve a gold star. :p:blush:

I knew I never made the wrong choice when I joined this forum from RWG1... Thanks for all the hard work & long hours you've put in to keep our community alive, Admin!! :notworthy::clap3::clap: Btw, I'm a Pool fan too, as you can see...

YNWA... :1a:

Nice one Ken. ALways good to learn a little history from the guy who keeps the ship afloat. Thanks T :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Good interview there, but not long enough. Seriously. Would love to read an interview twice as long with the man behind it all, to learn even more about where things have come from. Thanks to Ken and Admin for all the hard work, it is much appreciated, and all the mods around.

K: So what's the favorite team then?

A: Favorite team? Liverpool!!! I became a Liverpool-supporter when I was 5-6 years old.

Extraordinary! I was almost certain Admin would be a Tottenham supporter like myself.

Why? Because of the ENORMOUS supportership Spurs enjoys in Norway, home of

Great read. Brings back a lot of memories for the older guys. Thanks to both of you.

Your much appreciated.

Have to say...

Two great gents...

And one great interview...

T~ Thanks for taking the time to do this...

K~ Thanks for putting up the effort to make these happen...

Wonderfully insightful...

And entertaining...

Double T

thank you for the insight into the RWG .. makes being here much more than just watches... thanks T.. and Ken for doing the leg work..

You rock #1 sir!

EDIT: I'm sure if we ever do a global GTG, jetmid can fly us all there! :)

Copy that!

I really enjoyed the read as well. Thank you for taking the time to let us into your life!

Cheers, :D

Haven't logged in for over a month, but glad I did so I didn't miss this great interview. Thanks Ken and Admin, all the effort and time spent to give help to people around the world with the replica hobby, true Karma is yours. This was truly a great read and much appreciated insight into our benefactor.

Okay Boss, one of my Christmas requests was the "Complete Calvin & Hobbs" 3 volume collection, everything ever printed, weighing in at a hefty 22 lbs. Glad to have found out from this informative interview that we have the same tastes. Yes, a global GTG would be great in Hawaii, just let me know! In the meantime I guess I'll just go visit some of you guys since I'm now retired and my new intended occupation is "world traveler - version 2: old fart". Hey Ken, maybe we can meet up March 1-4 as I'm booked for Sydney on my way to NZ Middle Earth for a couple of weeks.

- Omni

Nothing would give me more pleasure Omni, although having only just returned from Queensland and NSW it going to be tight getting up North again in a little over a Month.

I will see if I can organize it and if so maybe we can key in Cornerstone as well.

Ken

Great read.

Congrats Ken.

;)

Interresting how positive a man can be.

From what I read of the Boss interview, I think "I rarely crossed such a positive person with a great fighting spirit".

I wouldn't mind having a drink with you Admin, seriously...maybe rather in Europe than Hawa

Another great read! Thanks for sharing Admin, and great work by you Ken. I really love this section, so keep em coming my friend!

This section is a great addition. Ken and T - very nice job. A must read for those who didn't know prior history of legit rep forums. I do hope people will take Admin's polite request to heart. We have 10,000 members of which thousands are active and we apparently don't have 200 paying members. I do hope that when a few of the readers come upon this post they will go to the trouble to upgrade. Nothing more to be said on this as this is a fabulous thread and I don't want to take away from what is a fabulous interview.