When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Planet Ocean - Passed the inspection!

Jagger

I purchased a Planet Ocean - Ultimate Version - Orange Bezel - from Andrew (trustywatch): I brought it into a local watch dealer to get it sized and the guy would not put my watch down. The only thing he didn't do to this watch was put it in his mouth. LOL.

He looked up at me and asked where I bought this watch from? I told him off the internet. He said it was absolutely the best rep he's ever seen. I asked him how he new it was a rep. He laughed and said that if I paid $3000 for this watch I wouldn't be walking into his store to get it sized (as the most expensive watch he sells is under $800).

Just thought I'd pass that along.

I purchased a Planet Ocean - Ultimate Version - Orange Bezel - from Andrew (trustywatch): I brought it into a local watch dealer to get it sized and the guy would not put my watch down. The only thing he didn't do to this watch was put it in his mouth. LOL.

He looked up at me and asked where I bought this watch from? I told him off the internet. He said it was absolutely the best rep he's ever seen. I asked him how he new it was a rep. He laughed and said that if I paid $3000 for this watch I wouldn't be walking into his store to get it sized (as the most expensive watch he sells is under $800).

Just thought I'd pass that along.

hilarious

I had mine sized twice, they both asked why I didn't take it to the AD as they would do it for free. I just tell them I don't like the pushy salespeople (it's true, this one guy is always trying to sell me a Jacob & Co. or a Chanel J12 when I want to look at the Cartiers.)

the possiblities with modding...u will be able to fool an AD then

Please do a lot more reading in the forum before saying something like this. Everyone here knows that an AD would spot it in any examination.

Usil

funny [censored]... though if the rep is that good out of the box.. imagine the possiblities with modding...u will be able to fool an AD then.. (wouldnt reccomend it though)

Exactly it's NOT recommend and it's NOT A GAME TO PLAY....I did it once at a Breitling AD, and I find me little stupid to did it. Be veryyyyy careful to never bring a rep in a AD to show them your watch just to tease them, always keep it on your wrist... the seller can be stupid and don't know about super rep, if he ask you to see your watch, and just because he's not sure, and he doubt, and show your watch to his watchsmith in the backstore, and if he open the case, HE WILL KNOW that is a rep. This probability is very thin, but it is there. If you are lucky, they will just kick you out of the store with your watch, and you will never be welcome there again, or, they will just keep the watch, and they will tell you, "we keep the watch, or we call the police, decide". Sure you will leave, but you will loose $300-$400.

Never go to a AD to adjust your bracelet, NEVER. Don't try to be smarter than a AD, just play low profile, this hobby is underground :ph34r:

Sigh....

Newbies need to learn this is just not appropriate. NEVER NEVER NEVER take your rep in ANY AD, and NEVER go in an AD and talk about reps. I own some hardcore super reps and I lock them in my glovebox before I get out the car and go in any AD. I have one of those watch guys in the mall that handles my resizings and minor tasks and he never asks and I never tell.

Sigh....

Newbies need to learn this is just not appropriate. NEVER NEVER NEVER take your rep in ANY AD, and NEVER go in an AD and talk about reps. I own some hardcore super reps and I lock them in my glovebox before I get out the car and go in any AD. I have one of those watch guys in the mall that handles my resizings and minor tasks and he never asks and I never tell.

other suggestion, very simple rules...remove your watch and put it in your pocket, and LEAVE IT THERE until you get out of the AD store.

If you are lucky, they will just kick you out of the store with your watch, and you will never be welcome there again, or, they will just keep the watch, and they will tell you, "we keep the watch, or we call the police, decide". Sure you will leave, but you will loose $300-$400.

It's not illegal in the US to own a replica watch. If this happens they are breaking the law, same as stealing.

And if you do try it we don't want to know.....

[25] - Do not visit an AD (Authentic Dealer) with your replica watch and show it of as the real thing. If you do so, we are not interested in hearing about it. Such post will be deleted.

Ken -_-

Jeez guys... ever heard of hypothetically?

I said I woundn't reccomend it, like I wouldnt reccomend you to knock our own tooth out with a hammer... what you do end up doing is upto you and out of my control...

Also in my humble experienced opinion (and I wont go into details coz I know im not supposed to discuss it here) most AD's dont care.. they are there to make the sale, not police you... Almost everyone knows that the market for reps and genst is NOT the same... the guys who go for gens, wouldn't go for reps and the guys who buy reps mostly wont spend that kind of money to buy gens.. I know I wouldnt..

Getting a little over-excited here, aren't we?

Not at all, the point has to be made (and firmly) for the simple fact that a very many new members will read this thread and some may get idea's from your post.

Yes I know you are saying that there was no weight in your comment but it's like saying "I wonder if cyanide tastes like bitter almonds?", there's always going to be one twit that will try it.

Ken

I am always wearing my reps into ADs. They are never conspicuous, and are always at least partially hidden by a shirt sleeve, but I'll be damned if I'm going to take them off just to go in to a store. Truth of the matter is that 90% of AD employees couldn't spot a decent rep anyways. However, never flaunt your rep, show it, or hand it over to an employee of an AD.

While I do not think you should wear reps into an AD to prove a point.

Make no mistake about it, 90 percent of people in the AD's are morons.....

The lady at tourneau who sold me my 176 gen told me it had an automatic movement. I was actually wearing my 3717 when I bought it. She said nice "tag".

One guy at Kenjo called me out for wearing a "fake". I was wearing my Gen 176H

These guys are not experts. Only 1 in 10 are actually "watch enthusiasts" here in the states.

You all take it too serious, i think its all about your behaviour and looks. Before discovering this forum i had a cheap breitling rep, i never cared gen or rep, watch is watch, and i bought a gen strap from ad and let them put in my watch only thing they could say "nice watch or something like that", and i tried countless times gen rolexes in ads with a rep sub on my wrist(the one i sold recently), they didnt even notice..

Only once i took my rep yachtmaster to non.ad dealer who sells tagheuer class watches, to adjust the bracelet, the guy seemed doesnt come across with a rolex very often, inspected very carefully every detail and said its genuine with follwing compliments and so on...

Btw, of course if you dressed like homeless,criminal or too young age appeal they sure will have more attention on your watch...lol

I agree with you to a certain extent Iceberg, ADs really don't give a rat's a$$ about cheap reps. Where they will start to take notice is when they see high quality reps that will match the gen (at least visually). Remember, ADs do have regular contact with the manufactures via sales reps. Enough complaints to the mothership and they will have no choice but to get more proactive. We have already seen the consequences of that with the Hublot people!

If you are lucky, they will just kick you out of the store with your watch, and you will never be welcome there again, or, they will just keep the watch, and they will tell you, "we keep the watch, or we call the police, decide". Sure you will leave, but you will loose $300-$400.

I'd phone the police myself, and say that a jewellery store was refusing to return my personal property.

I wonder how keen they'd be to keep the watch then ;)

Not sure, but it may not be that cut and dry. I am sure there are intellectual property laws that would pave the way for confiscating your watch. That would likely only apply if you handed the watch over for some sort of service.

I certainly wouldn't be handing one over for any other reason :lol:

Posession of the reps themselves (without intent to supply) is not illegal (certainly not in the UK or US, although I do believe mere ownership of reps is illegal in Italy) In that regard, they are simply a person's personal property, which a store would have no right to confiscate (either if simply seen, or following a service) As always though, it's best not to take reps into ADs in the first place, or keep them under a sleeve if possible.

I'd phone the police myself, and say that a jewellery store was refusing to return my personal property.

I wonder how keen they'd be to keep the watch then ;)

Well, if you need to call the police, and you will need to justify and argument with the AD, you are already in trouble. Personnaly, I prefer doing something else in my life than dealing with this kind of situation, like, hunting my next rep ;)