When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pictorial of ROLEX "Noob GMT 16710", correct hand stack

By-Tor

noobtitle.jpg

Stephane, Jetsons and Tribal have their Subs, Q has his McQueen, Freddy and Ubi have their Daytonas, Kenberg has his Mickey Mouse watch... but when it comes to Rolex I have always been a "Pepsi" man... just like Magnum before me.

16710 GMT Master II has become my obsession. I have written many, many reviews of it. Too many. I'd love to promise you that this is my very last 16710 writeup, but you never know...

The newest of my many GMT rep reviews is the "GMT buying Guide". This watch is the exact same "Noob factory" GMT which was compared to Joshua's very nice "Retro" version.

What makes this one special then?

Well this watch has the excellent dial AND correct hand stack. The only other member in the community, who owns this rare bird (as far as I know), is bklm1234. This rep with good dial was only very briefly available. bk bought his copy from Paul long time ago. My friend Stephane also owns this same correct hand stack model. Actually his rep is even more harcore... it's a franken with genuine dial. See it HERE.

The wrong stack "Noob" GMT 16710 is an excellent replica, and I never really thought the stack was such a big deal. I just recently traded my other "wrong stack" rep away, but I still have one left (and I'm planning to keep it too). Pugwash installed a genuine crown on it (special thanks to JustAsGood for providing the crown).

So where did I get yet another GMT, and where did this watch suddenly come from?

Our new dealer, Eurotimez, sold me this one. He said it was the absolutely LAST one in the factory, and he especially wanted to grab it for me, because he knew I had been looking for one. When he told me, I was quite amazed. It's pretty funny how some replica models become collector items, just like the gens. bklm didn't want to sell his version (no matter what I offered) so I already had given up all hope finding this. Actually I had already put away $5K for a gen, which I was going to buy later this year.

The Noob GMT dial is the best rep Rolex dial I've seen. Photo is of my wrong stack version (genuine on the right).

repgen.jpg

I already have the correct stack Franken-Explorer II, and this watch is a great addition. The big excitement of this hobby is the searching and waiting, adjusting, modding... and occasionally finding something great. I doubt I could get the same excitement from the gens. Yeah, being an Ultimate Geek is a bit embarrassing, but not that much when I'm among the people who understand. :D

Here's my other "prized rep possession", the franken Explorer II, from the same factory.

1-5.jpg

Once again, this particular watch, "Noob" GMT needs some modifications before use. bklm1234 offers them at the RepGeeks. Read about them HERE.

The original bezel looks very bad (it has dull teeth) and it has to be replaced. It's very, very tightly installed on the watch, and there's only one advice when removing it: Use the Force Luke, and May The Yoda Be With You!

Replacement bezel is easy to install, and personally I modify the crown guards myself. It's a piece of cake, you don't even have to take off the crown and the tube. If you're afraid of this, you can pay some extra and let bk to take care of it.

I use THIS kind of very thin hand file for the cg's. As you can see from THIS picture, there's enough space between the crown stem and guards, so you can "straighten" them out. Of course you can't do that properly when the bezel is installed, the pic is just for demonstration. You also need a new bezel insert. Personally, I have used the Jewelryoutlet Pepsi insert, which is good enough, and the Pepsi version has perfect colors. My watch also needs a smaller crown, and Q promised to change one for my watch later.

Okay, quick mods have been done and it's ready to be worn. Let's cut the crap and put it on the wrist!

Deep rehaut, correct hand stack and excellent SELs. My new watch also has better GMT hand, which is a little bit too thick on the wrong stack version. Life is good, which proves that even Klink is sometimes right!

5-5.jpg

Special thanks again to ***Eurotimez*** for finding this watch & bklm1234 for another replacement bezel. Also big thanks to my friends JustAsGood and Pugwash for working on my other "Noob GMT".

PS: This old correct hand stack ETA modification is known to be potentially problematic, but I've been rather lucky with them. Once again, rumor has it that the factories are working on a NEW correct hand stack ETA movement for the upcoming ceramic version. That is good news, and let's hope they make a "reissue" of this "Noob" 16710 too. Even if they don't, with a movement swap you can probably build a correct hand stack 16710 later (if you have one of these base watches laying around).

If you're a classic 16710 fan, I highly recommend buying this replica model. Wrong or correct stack, it's a real catch... and might not be available forever.

99s.jpg

Guest carlsbadrolex

Another OUTSTANDING pictorial!

I just counted, I have 9 replica Rolex watches and 3 gens. I do not have ONE GMT Master (1 or 2)...

I think Im going to take your advise on this one and order one.

Thank you!

Another OUTSTANDING pictorial!

I just counted, I have 9 replica Rolex watches and 3 gens. I do not have ONE GMT Master (1 or 2)...

I think Im going to take your advise on this one and order one.

Thank you!

Thanks man, the pleasure is all mine. I was really, really glad to finally get this rep. :)

The wrong stack models of the Noob GMT should be available. Happy hunting!

I was just going to make you an ungodly high offer on one of yours. EVERYTHING has a price!!!

:D

Seriously: Get the wrong stack version (as long as it's still available) and wait for the new movement. I'm sure it's possible (and even relatively easy) to build one of these when the new movement batch is out. Both Andrew and Angus say it's coming.

I love them Dave (well I think you guessed that, right?). :D

Definitely get the better dial for your GMT (if you can find one). You're lucky to own the correct hand stack version, they have become very collectable.

Thanks for sharing mate... that black ExpII is a fantastic rep (as it is).

Great review and pictorial again BT.

I won't open the debate on the one I own again :lol:

Actually, it is a Noob serial.

But, about mine, I still consider it more RepAustria's one as he made it of course

I would need another 10 years experience in rep to be able to even think about modding whatever, and certainly not a GMT mvt. :Jumpy:

Wear them well guys,

Cheers

Stephane

A coke ?

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s258/An...Au_PS800_03.jpg

BT, awesome GMT and as always, terrific write up. :)

I have often thought about springing for a gen as well. However, my old school 2893-2 GMT (flaws aside) is such a terrific watch that it has been difficult to justify $4K for the gen. Once I get around to installing the gen dial & a few other touches, it will probably be one of my all time favorite clones. The GMT feels fantastic on the wrist and has a fun factor that sets it apart from most other rlx sport models. B)

Congrats & enjoy the new toy!

Nice GMT you have there, Stephane! There is no substitute for a gen dial. :D

Thanks guys.

@Jetsons: Have you managed to source a good, thin GMT hand for a wrong stack ETA model? I also have one wrong stack "Noob" model, and the only thing that bothers me on that watch is the hand rim, which is too thick.

Let me know if you know a source.

Thanks guys.

@Jetsons: Have you managed to source a good, thin GMT hand for a wrong stack ETA model? I also have one wrong stack "Noob" model, and the only thing that bothers me on that watch is the hand rim, which is too thick.

Let me know if you know a source.

BT, I have these from our Texas fleabay insert friend: :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WATCH-HANDS-FOR-ETA-28...bayphotohosting

The GMT hand is a tad longer and thinner than the standard rep hand of the 2893-2, 16710. I haven't tried to see if it properly fits the movement but this is the only source I am aware of. I emailed Clark but he doesn't stock GMT hands, at least for this particular movement.

Cheers!

Thanks Jet.

It seems that even the GMT 2836-2 (wrong stack) GMT hands aren't interchangeable (from the different models). I received a spare GMT hand of the "Retro" GMT Master II from Joshua (thanks btw).

The watch uses the same 2836-2 movement as the wrong hand stack Noob GMT... but the hand didn't fit (Pugwash tried his best). Weird. I seriously doubt the 2893-2 hand will fit the 2836-2.

My new correct hand stack GMT has perfect GMT hand. I wonder why they use the thick and ugly hand on the wrong stack versions.

• 3 weeks later...

A newsflash:

This might interest the owners of GMT 16710 rep...

I found a new source for good GMT inserts. I already received red/black insert.

What's good / special about these particular inserts?

They use the Sans Serif font. Actually the font on the Jewelryoutlet insert is just as accurate, but I prefer this font style on 16710 insert. The red/black version also has correct burgundy red color tone. The JO insert doesn't quite capture it.

Funny thing on them is that they have a sticker on the back. I haven't tried to attach it to the bezel yet, but I think it's a good idea... and this way you probably don't have to use glue there.

Very good seller and the inserts are only $9.99 + very low shipping costs. Highly recommended.

Here's his store:

http://myworld.ebay.com/luxurydeals8/

Here's the insert I received (sellers pic). I like it a lot. Will install it on my wrong stack GMT as soon as it arrives from Pugwash.

I also ordered the Pepsi insert. Can't say anything about the colors yet but they looked good on the preview.

I'm not entirely sold to the new ceramic GMT, but I might get one too. But only if the rep is exceptionally good, and the price isn't impossible.

Either way, it's not the same anymore. Nothing beats the classic Pepsi.

I'm not entirely sold to the new ceramic GMT, but I might get one too. But only if the rep is exceptionally good, and the price isn't impossible.

Either way, it's not the same anymore. Nothing beats the classic Pepsi.

It's true...the Pepsi is the classic. I'm not sure if I'm ready to do the crown guard mod and crown replacement thing yet though.

When I look through my Antiquorum catalogue for the recent Rolex auction, the variance in shapes in the CGs is HUGE...even within the same model (always different years)...so I'm thinking these days that really, any shaped crown guard could in fact be seen as being genuine...so why bother. Then, I look at the recent watches from The Zigmeister and the shape really does look good...but not so good that I'm motivated to invest in tools to remove the tube and re-install it properly in order to screw up the job on my first reshaping effort. :(

• 2 months later...

Just an update:

This beautiful rep is DEAD... the dreaded hour hand gear of the CHS movement is completely broken... over and out.

The problem is that no spare parts are available and the movement is trashable.

I will keep this watch, just in case the spare parts become available in the future. I'm not holding my breath though.

It finally dawned on me: The CHS movement is CRAP... and all members should avoid it like a plague. According to reports, the new chs movement version in the GMTIIc could be even worse.

There's more talk about it in this thread.

Sorry to hear that By-Tor.

It's a real loss and I feel for you.

But, then, I know you'll be happy again soon ;)

Mine is still running fine but I messed it up once.

RepAustria fixed it and told me to NEVER set the hour hand when the minute hand wasn't at 12.

Maybe that is the secret to keep them going longer.

Thanks Steph. :)

I think it's just plain better to never set the hour hand at all, period. Just set the time normally, by rolling it from the minute hand.

My white ExpII franken is going strong, and I will never again mess with the independent hour hand.

Well, if I were you I would just grab the stock GMT conversion like in my watch as you know and just swap everything over. The hand stack is so minor and of course everything else on yours is perfect. In any event so sorry to hear for the loss, but you knew it was coming. Man I almost crapped when I first saw that mod, and yes I hear the new one is worse too. No matter though, it is an easy conversion and fix for any when they finally do break.

Just an update:

This beautiful rep is DEAD... the dreaded hour hand gear of the CHS movement is completely broken... over and out.

The problem is that no spare parts are available and the movement is trashable.

I will keep this watch, just in case the spare parts become available in the future. I'm not holding my breath though.

It finally dawned on me: The CHS movement is CRAP... and all members should avoid it like a plague. According to reports, the new chs movement version in the GMTIIc could be even worse.

There's more talk about it in this thread.