When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT 116710

Just a quick comparison to the genuine...

first please don't be mislead by the lighting the colour of the numerals IS the same as the genuine.. sorry different lighting..

Measurements..

Genuine= 44mm ..the measurement on the genuine forums are from the case to the end of the crown.. so I will measure in kind..

Rep. = 44mm

Length..lug to lug

Gen. = 47mm

Rep. = 47mm

Weight

Gen. = 141g ..it is not known if this includes the bracelet

Rep. = 151g... if this equals 5.4 oz ... not too sure of my conversion ??

Height

Gen. 13.. many are reporting 12mm

Rep. = 12mm

picture35dl1ih8.pngcsc0027pd2.jpg

OK... I have attempted to "scratch" the bezel.. all but not with much emotion.. but just from the "feel" of the material.. it is IMO very durable.. not "plastic like" .. I'm sure with enough effort even the genuine ceramic bezel will scratch..

after viewing the genuine.. the recess in the numerals seem correct.. it is the lighting in the pics that make it appear different.. again .. i may be wrong..

the genuine cyclops does have AR coating on the underside of the mag.. not something that I am overly concerned with..

The Bezel on the genuine clicks in 1 hour increments.. the rep unfortunately is double that.. I honestly cannot remember when I was in the AD.. but that is the specs for the genuine.. It is larger than the 16710 to acomadate the ceramic bezel.. the rep appears to have done very well in this point..

You may claim me insane.. (it's ok .. not the first time).. but i took a screw dirver to the bezel.. I figure if it's going to scratch easily .. why would I want it... never mind the reasoning.. the point is it did not scratch with pretty good pressure.. the same pressure I used on a discarded GMT bezel from the 16710 that did scratch with the same force..

So we have a relatively good ceramic like and not plastic like bezel.. I suppose with enough energy even the genuine would mark..

and to tell you the truth the font does not appear as thick in person as it does in the dealers pics.. it is not obvious .. unless you are putting it under intense scrutiny.. (like we tend to do)

This is the genuine Bezel schematic and report...

bezelschematicwf7.jpg

One of the distinguishing features of the GMT is the 24 hour bezel used to measure various timezones. The bezel of the 16710 uses a click-spring to hold the bezel in place. Earlier GMTs (GMT Master) had no clickspring which allowed the bezel to slide in either direction. The 16710 (GMT Master II) uses a clickspring that prevented the bezel for being knocked from its setting, but the older spring allowed for the bezel to move easier counter clockwise than rotating clockwise.

The bezel on the 116710 is thoroughly redesigned. The bezel rotates on three ceramic ball bearings similar to the new TOG

Thanks Lani for the info, and for risking your bezel :)

Good to know the bezel is durable and resists scratching, I may well get this watch after all. Hand stack does not bother me, so if the next batch has a different hand layout, I will not be worried......

Thanks again! B)

Looks really good out of the box to me, thanks to be the guinea pig for this rep, a lucky guinea pig btw :)

How is the rehaut engraving?

The coronet at 12 should be aligned with the 12 hour marker, it doesnt's seem to be perfectly centered.

well there u go.. u just have a collection item :D.. rare piece only 1000 in the world :p

i notice they stuffed up the crown AGAIN! not correct size :@.. but easy fix.. bk can fix it..

bezel insert font is yea too fat but meh doesnt matter.. not like even an AD knows that these rep exist with real ceramic construction.. trust me they'll probably be shocked n think its a gen just because u have a ceramic bezel insert..

other than that it looks spot on!!

Edited by arminvanbuuren

You know, as a rep, I think I'd rather have the incorrect hand stack version of this watch. All the case features and with a movement that, while not perfect, is at the very least a known commodity. I know it's not a true, GMT, but it gives me a second time zone. And it's a rep, after all.

Great pics. Thanks for sharing. Now I just need to try and find one for myself.

lets just put it this way.. if they can the price down to the mid-high 200's even with incorrect stack it'll be better than 400+ with correct stack to tell u the truth

I won't say "better," because to some that correct stack is extremely important. I will, however, completely agree with your sentiment that, for ME, it is preferred. High 200's, same quality case components and the 2836.

I won't say "better," because to some that correct stack is extremely important. I will, however, completely agree with your sentiment that, for ME, it is preferred. High 200's, same quality case components and the 2836.

meh i guess diff ppl have diff needs.. i dont think correct stack is that important anyway.. i'd rather have a reliable movement for a lower price.. not like many ppl know anything about what stacks needs to go where.. even gen owners? i know for a fact that my dad and my mum owns a gen rolex.. they didn't even realise anythign diff on my 2-tone TOG to theirs..

lanikai, de gen weight is like the rep ;)

pic of the gen:

2n7oyr.jpg

that's great privan!!! man I am getting this misinformation of genuine web sites..sheesh .. i think as a group we do a lot better than genuine owners who don't even know the difference between a CG and a crown..... i was hoping to be wrong on this and hopefully a couple of other points..

@armin ... how did they mess up the crown?? it is a trip lock and larger than the twinlock on the previous 16710 .. is this not the correct size on the current version??.. wonder if the genuine crown can fit.. here we go again

:lol:@MP.. kind of figured it would be a wash if the bezel inset scratched so easily.. but glass still can scratch if you run it against a concrete wall.. just the thought of that makes me shudder... but other than that .. you gonna be happy with the glossy look...

@Rolexman... since I'm only a world traveler in my own mind.. :rolleyes: .. the configuration isn't a great issue.. i hardly worry about using the GMT hand anyway..but it looks cool.. :lol: .. ya think it's time to clean out some of the inventory that has been worn once or twice.... ahhhh.. bite your tongue :o

@TK ... yeah too much emphasis is being put on the "correct hand stack" .. granted I would choose the correct one over the others I have.. but in reality I never noticed it incorrect until it became a huge issue here.. :p

@jot.. i guess the maker and Josh and Andrew colaborated on this new release.. since it was their genuine that was used they decided to offer a small quantity with the correct stack..you should ask them .. maybe they will continue.. I dun know..

@max.. thanks Man.. but i wasn't planning on doing anything .. so at the last minute I dug up some stuff... since the rolex area has sooo many pro's I am really just learning the ins and outs... i gotta message toomuchgear.. freddy333 .. and others for tech advice on the vintage stuff..but once i start something I can get a little carried away

i'm sure as sh-it that one of the top tier reviewers will take this puppy apart and dazzle us all.. but until then at least this is something for discussion..you really need a week and quiet time to do a comprehensive .. thorough review.. time.. time.. and a lot more time..a comodity I have not come across..in some time..

well i'm just comparing the left pics to the right pics that u given as a comparison :p.. if u look at the crown the gen is more thinner (from right to left) but longer (from top to bottom).. where as the rep is shorter (top to bottom) and fatter (left to right)

if you get what i mean :D

well i'm just comparing the left pics to the right pics that u given as a comparison :p.. if u look at the crown the gen is more thinner (from right to left) but longer (from top to bottom).. where as the rep is shorter (top to bottom) and fatter (left to right)

if you get what i mean :D

with the left right .. right left.. feels like I'm watching a tennis match... :lol: .. dun know,.. have to measure the genuine trip lock to be certain..gotta headache at the moment so I thinks I will take your word for it.. ;)

I will tell you it's getting a lot of side way glances at the coffee shop right now..

someone was asking about the centering of the coronet.. with the naked eye.. it looks spot on to me.. but my thinking is if you have to put your nose up to it and analyze and measure it with your eye's .. then it must be pretty good..could you imagine some one viewing you doing this in public because it was bothering you... and don't tell me no ones ever done this and I'm the only one... :rolleyes: ... imagine what people must think.. :lol:

but knowing me I will now go home and in the privacy of home take out my loupe and then obsess... :rolleyes:

but in hind sight.. it's good we are like this.. attention to detail.... -_-